Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:11 am

9A & L aren’t available and I’m sitting in 9A on my outbound. Only window seats available on my return flight are 16A & 8A and center section is fairly wide open. 8A is a little too close to the galley. It’s my first time flying to AKL and would like a window which is why I’m asking about 16A which has conflicting info in this thread.

edit to add: Most FTers know that, unfortunately, Seat Guru isn’t a reliable source.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Oct 30, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
9A & L aren’t available and I’m sitting in 9A on my outbound. Only window seats available on my return flight are 16A & 8A and center section is fairly wide open. 8A is a little too close to the galley. It’s my first time flying to AKL and would like a window which is why I’m asking about 16A which has conflicting info in this thread.

If nothing else is available, between 16A and 8A, I would take 16A. The only thing you will miss is the window. If that is a big concern, then not quite sure what you could take. 8A is a BAD BAD spot - Galley + Traffic! Take 16A now and keep checking every day for others to open up. Sometimes UA blocks seats that they open later. I got lucky myself closer to the flight.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Take 16A now and keep checking every day for others to open up.
That’s what I’ve been doing and will continue. I could have a wide choice of middle seats, but I tend to prefer the single seats.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does 9L have any issues with lights from the galley? It's one of the few window forward-facing options on my upcoming EWR-HKG flight and wondering if I should go there or somewhere else. I was recently in 1L on a new 763 and there was a super bright light in my eyes the whole time, so wondering if 9L on the 77W would have a similar problem or not?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
Does 9L have any issues with lights from the galley? It's one of the few window forward-facing options on my upcoming EWR-HKG flight and wondering if I should go there or somewhere else. I was recently in 1L on a new 763 and there was a super bright light in my eyes the whole time, so wondering if 9L on the 77W would have a similar problem or not?
No, as the galley for the second cabin is actually farther forward from Row 9 and another "galley" of sorts behind the actual galley where drinks/snacks are put out in this area (where you can cross from port/starboard) is usually lit with very dim blue lights...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Oct 31, 2019 at 7:11 pm Reason: Clarity...
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
Not one bit.
1L does though. I posted a pic a page or two back.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Foot well question

For my flight no bulkhead seats are available. Foot well space is important to me and I understand from the wiki that odd numbered (straight) seats are better than even (angled) seats.

Does this apply to seats at window (A/L) and center (D/G)?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:26 pm

Economy/E+ seat question

EWR -> NRT, what seat would you go with? Right now I have a 3-side to myself (39C), but how likely is that to hold (flight on Wednesday). Row 45 a good option for E+? Or is there a better option?

Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by ramlax13
EWR -> NRT, what seat would you go with? Right now I have a 3-side to myself (39C), but how likely is that to hold (flight on Wednesday). Row 45 a good option for E+? Or is there a better option?

This flight looks like it will go out just about full. I would not expect 39b to remain empty. 45J is a decent seat - gets a little traffic from the lav and galley, but it isn't terrible.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
This flight looks like it will go out just about full. I would not expect 39b to remain empty. 45J is a decent seat - gets a little traffic from the lav and galley, but it isn't terrible.
+1. When E- is virtually full it means there are likely a lot of people without assigned seats, who will be pushed up to preferred E and E+ at checkin.

I would choose a seat that you will be happiest (or least unhappy) with if the flight is full and someone sits next to you.

I would be tempted to grab 30C, a bulkhead. If the seats don't fill you can probably move back to preferred seat you have.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:08 pm

Seats 9A and 9L on 777-300ER

We sat in 9A and 9L on a recent flight from AKL - SFO and found these footwells to be very roomy on the 777-300ER. There's also the benefit of having lots of extra storage space in the bin in front, which contains the bassinet. Those in seats 9D/9E only had a shelf. Another advantage was two windows, which felt more spacious. Some seats only have one window. Others, like in row 11 have three. I am a light sleeper, so use ear plugs and eye mask. Did not find proximity to loos bothered me, in fact, quite helpful for getting in quick when busy. Galley was also fine as main one is located up front. However, there was a monster brat sat behind me who ruined the overnight flight for everyone around him. He swayed back and forth hitting my seat and the one behind him with his body weight, or thumping on the tray table, basically making as much disturbance as possible. When I finally went to speak to his father about this, the child rolled over and pretended to be asleep. Interestingly, his parents had chosen seats AWAY from him instead of in front and behind as there had been availability for. During the evening I was even woken by another passenger asking if the child was mine! as he was using his ipad at full brightness and volume without headphones. The parents said there was nothing they could do as if they tried he would wake the entire cabin. We landed at 6am. So there you go - you can choose the best seats possible, but it's still pot luck as to who might be your neighbour! Thank god it was only 12 hours. Happy flying everyone!

Last edited by winklepop; Nov 20, 2019 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Polaris Strait Seats are like a coffin

I am sorry but the strait seat is absolute .... if you are on a long flight 8+ hours. You cannot lay down on your side at all and your body all the way till your waist is under the TV console. You cannot bend your legs in any way. It is super claustrophobic. Good business class seats have solved these issues by keeping as much of the space above lie flat person open so they can strep their legs and move them.

I actually have to say the old 2 aged seats that are still being delivered on 787s are better. They are not as cool or as private but there for sure are not coffins. I am not sure about bulkhead seems to have the same issue as a strait seats.

I find this an issue on Swiss Business Coveted Throne Seat too, there space! It is a terrible choice for extra money. You cannot move your legs at all (bent them in any direction) and there is no space for your body in the narrow seat.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
What does everyone think about E- in Row 56 A&B and K&L? Flying SFO-SYD with family of 4, seemed the best option as opposed to taking seats in the center. Thx!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
What does everyone think about E- in Row 56 A&B and K&L? Flying SFO-SYD with family of 4, seemed the best option as opposed to taking seats in the center. Thx!
Not a bad choice, I guess. I might have gone with the middle 4 though, just so we'd all be together.
If you don't mind the additional cost, a 4-bank, middle section in E+ would likely be my preferred choice though.
That extra leg room on such a long flight sure is nice!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Not a bad choice, I guess. I might have gone with the middle 4 though, just so we'd all be together.
If you don't mind the additional cost, a 4-bank, middle section in E+ would likely be my preferred choice though.
That extra leg room on such a long flight sure is nice!
Will keep in mind....not a huge fan of no window but agree being able to all sit together would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.