Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by a.tall.guy
Someone said 9A has more noise than 9L due to the lav door being different. Have you noticed this being a factor at all? I'm not really a light sleeper, but obviously all else being equal would choose the less noisier seat. Considering 1A, 9A, or 9L at this point.
To be honest, I feel like to notice that level of detail while sleeping, you'd have to be a fairly light sleeper. In my case, I slept equally well in 9A and 9L. So by the looks of how well you say you sleep, I think you can't go wrong either way. I'm a 9A/L guy only because both put you in a sweet spot with those GE90 engines though for most this is a non-factor. The only times I've really woken up is from heavy turbulence above the Scandinavian countries, but that's about it, nothing from within the aircraft.

So it all comes down to what you'd value more: more quiet, or more foot movement. There's no doubt the bulkheads have remarkable space to store your legs while sleeping compared to the other seats, however the tradeoff will be more noise from the galley.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The other big difference between the front and rear J cabins (i.e., row 1 vs. row 9) is that Y typically boards through 2L.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Someone said 9A has more noise than 9L due to the lav door being different. Have you noticed this being a factor at all? I'm not really a light sleeper, but obviously all else being equal would choose the less noisier seat. Considering 1A, 9A, or 9L at this point.
The lav forward of 9A (larger, for disabled pax) has a large door that swings backwards sometimes, impacting the rear wall of the same lav - and therefore noise/vibrations...
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Overall preference for 9L. Boarding, more passengers seem to head down the other aisle, so fewer passing by. 1A would be better for that reason, but since most time disembarkation is through door 2L, I would stick with Row 9. That sunlight.net site is great for avoiding the side with the most sunlight.

Has anyone ever found a database of airport gates to determine if disembarkation would be through 1L or 2L? Some, like EWR gate 123, have dual boarding bridges, but it's a crapshoot as to which bridge gets connected first.

For airports with no expedited Immigration, getting off the plane asap is my top priority.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Best option? Currently selected 5L.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by chemengin
Not sure what the route is so can't speak for sun position but my default is 9L. If anything choose 1L or 9L for a much larger footwell so more moving space for your legs when in the lay-flat positon
ok2uselane likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chemengin
Or 5A depending on sunlight and views.

IME the bulkhead isn't a meaningful enough difference to really make 1/9 that valuable.
Kacee and live4h2o like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by findark

IME the bulkhead isn't a meaningful enough difference to really make 1/9 that valuable.
I agree unless someone has super size feet. Now I have sat in every single odd window seat on the 773, I am staying away from bulkhead seats unless I really need to get out of the plane fast or cannot wait to go to the bathroom. I still think noise is an issue in row 1 and foot traffic in row 9.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by findark

I agree unless someone has super size feet. Now I have sat in every single odd window seat on the 773, I am staying away from bulkhead seats unless I really need to get out of the plane fast or cannot wait to go to the bathroom. I still think noise is an issue in row 1 and foot traffic in row 9.
live4h2o likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Make it three. I never choose the bulkhead on a Polaris aircraft. Footwell is not the issue that it is with the Diamond or Vantage. And I prefer to avoid lav/galley noise and traffic.
chemengin and live4h2o like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Not sure what the route is so can't speak for sun position but my default is 9L. If anything choose 1L or 9L for a much larger footwell so more moving space for your legs when in the lay-flat positon
Thoughts on 1A?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thoughts on 1A?
How large are your feet?

David
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by DELee
How large are your feet?

David
I'm pretty tall and find narrow footwells uncomfortable, so definitely looking for a bulkhead. I'm booked in 9L currently for SFO-EWR redeye (as well as the day flight back) and wondering if I should switch to 1A or 9A.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like 1A/L better than 9A/L, but the differences are pretty minute. I am less sensitive to galley / lav noise than others are, though.

If you plan to eat and then sleep on the redeye, 1A usually will be served appreciably earlier than will 9A. I did have one FA come and find me in row 7 to serve me first once, which I appreciated, but that's not common.
a.tall.guy likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I sat in 10L the other day - my first time in an angled seat - it could be all in my mind, but it felt uncomfortable trying to sleep versus the odd numbered seats.
lhrsfo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.