Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by HibernateNow
I booked the bulkhead window in Premium Plus..... there was so much legroom that I was able to get in and out without disturbing the lady sitting next to me.

on my return, I will be in Polaris.... the cabin is about half full. for some odd reason, almost all the remaining seats are the straight window seats... including 1L. Just for comparison, I looked at the seat map for the same flight for the entire week... 1L is open on every flight.(while 1A, 9A, 9L are all taken). Is there some reason why nobody is taking 1L or is that just random chance?

Thanks!
Galley is immediately up front with open curtain, so lights on, FAs also chit-chatting there...
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Galley is immediately up front with open curtain, so lights on, FAs also chit-chatting there...
I just noticed that 7L had a missing window. (presumably the passenger can lean forward and look out, but still...)

Are there other Polaris seats on the 777-300ER with windows missing? (too lazy to look through the previous 30 pages)

thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
7A, since it's symmetric, and row 16.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
I learned my lesson about picking one the Polaris seats with no window when we had an aborted landing and go-around at ORD a few months ago. With no window or line of sight to any other window in the cabin, I could only guess what was happening by sound and feel (and eventually turning on the map).
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just changed my flight to a couple of days later. Same flight, but this time all the odd window seats are taken, except 1L, 9A 9L, 17A.

I assume that 17A is probably the better choice if I don't want to be disturbed by light and noise coming from the galley and/or lavatories?

Although.... the entire center section(D and G seats)) are also basically empty on the seat map. Do they let people just move around and sit anywhere during the flight? (for example, book 9A, sit/eat/work in 9A, but sleep in 11G)
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I assume that 17A is probably the better choice if I don't want to be disturbed by light and noise coming from the galley and/or lavatories?
Those engines are loud and you will be right next one. I've personally never been bothered by 1A or 1L and like being near the restrooms - but that is just me. I avoid the back F cabin unless it is not possible due to engine noise.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Those engines are loud and you will be right next one. I've personally never been bothered by 1A or 1L and like being near the restrooms - but that is just me. I avoid the back F cabin unless it is not possible due to engine noise.
Exactly for 17A/back of 2nd Polaris cabin.

Very loud.

Just changed my flight to a couple of days later. Same flight, but this time all the odd window seats are taken, except 1L, 9A 9L, 17A.
I would grab 9A.

The FAs use the closet in 9L frequently - at least on my routes. The light shines directly into towards one's face.

Although.... the entire center section(D and G seats)) are also basically empty on the seat map. Do they let people just move around and sit anywhere during the flight? (for example, book 9A, sit/eat/work in 9A, but sleep in 11G)
On an international flight/route that's fairly busy? The cabin will probably be *full* - either with non-revs or upgrades eventually...
Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:26 pm

what would folks recommend for 2 taller guys traveling on an overnight flight together in economy plus?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
what would folks recommend for 2 taller guys traveling on an overnight flight together in economy plus?
emergency exit row aisles across from each other. avoid the window seats because your arms/shoulders will be up against the window(or windowless wall)

I'm 6'2" myself(not that tall) and all other economy seats are unbearable for me.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:30 am

this is the view from the window of Polaris seat 17A.

The engine and wing do block some view, but not that bad. I also didn't feel that it was that noisy.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The engine and wing do block some view, but not that bad. I also didn't feel that it was that noisy.
Agree. IMO 17A is an underrated seat. I avoid 1 and 9 because I find noise and traffic from galley and lav very distracting.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree. IMO 17A is an underrated seat. I avoid 1 and 9 because I find noise and traffic from galley and lav very distracting.
I also used the empty 18A behind me as my "office" and dining room. To be honest, I don't know why people hate angled seats so much. They were just as nice as the straight seats. (minus the good window views) Of course, for sleeping, the straight seats were more private and cozier.

9A/9L were terrible because people seem to hang around there even when the lavs were not occupied. Not to mention the lav door in front of 9A was like a big swing door and people frequently made loud noises closing it.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
this is the view from the window of Polaris seat 17A.

Great picture and from a utility standpoint, I agree 17A/L is a great seat

Originally Posted by Kacee
True but man it’s hard to beat the views from 9A/L. Too much of a sucker for those GE90 engine views
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Great picture and from a utility standpoint, I agree 17A/L is a great seat

True but man it’s hard to beat the views from 9A/L. Too much of a sucker for those GE90 engine views
it probably depends on the flight time..... on my flight, the first two hours were in daylight... 10 minutes after reaching 30,000 feet, the FAs came around and closed all the shades and started serving meals.... the sun went below the horizon after that.... it was 10 hours of darkness outside until landing.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
10 minutes after reaching 30,000 feet, the FAs came around and closed all the shades and started serving meals
Just open them back up if you want.
iluv2fly and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.