Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Woof. Connecting through SFO to AKL over the holidays and disappointed in the lounge situation. Can't imagine what a zoo the lounges will be. Guess I'll be using Priority Pass to get into the AF/KLM lounge.
They've started cracking down on that too - PP now notes a Terminal A departure is required.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:58 pm

They've started cracking down on that too - PP now notes a Terminal A departure is required.
Lovely
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They've always said that. I know two people that have tried on a non-A departure and not had a problem. I suspect it's more of a comment on the fact that the lounge is behind security and the terminals are not connected - however CSA at SFO have allowed access to any terminal with a valid BP for a very long time, just means you need to clear security twice.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm in the SKL at the moment, and they confirmed that today is the last day before it closes for renovations, with an expected reopen date of April 2018.

Even at just after 10am the line for the Intl G UC was about 20 people out the door - no idea if that's due to crowding or just the check-in people getting backed up. I was going to see if they would send me down to the IFL (1K in J) but couldn't be bothered lining up to find out.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Somewhat depressed and bummed but I guess ultimately things will be better but starting tomorrow the UA Global First lounge will be open to all UC members and F/J *A customers as well. That place in NO WAY will be able to take the number of pax that will potentially hit them. The Kris lounge is closed (as of tomorrow or monday) as well so this will add to the mess. As this is my home hub I will probably just adjust my time at SFO to cut it as close as comfortable for boarding on my international departures.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert
They've always said that. I know two people that have tried on a non-A departure and not had a problem. I suspect it's more of a comment on the fact that the lounge is behind security and the terminals are not connected - however CSA at SFO have allowed access to any terminal with a valid BP for a very long time, just means you need to clear security twice.
Last time I used that lounge with a UA BP was May 2016, and the website did not have that wording. But it's quite possible they just added it due to a lack of airside connection. Either way, I find it hard to justify the long walk and clearing security twice versus just finding a nice bit of SFO concourse unless you have a lot of time to kill. With SFO being my home base, my lounge time there is somewhat limited as I'm usually arriving just in time to hop on the plane.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:24 am

Checked at the UC desk when headed for my flight. They stated the expected reopen date for the new Intl G UC was "Spring".

Last time I used that lounge with a UA BP was May 2016, and the website did not have that wording.
It's been on the Priority Pass website since the day they added that lounge (or at least, the day the email went out that listed that lounge as added).

I can't say that it didn't disappear and come back at some stage between then and now, but it was certainly there at least some stage before May 2016.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
As of 1 October..........

The UA website (under airport lounge locations) lists 2 lounges in the "70's gates", 1 gate-side, 1 on the Mez, 1 Rotunda, and 1 "International terminal across from the G Terminal security checkpoint-temporary for eligible passengers". No IFL lounge (or even UC) in the 90's. Can someone that has time going through SFO the next couple of days tell us what is really going on currently? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
The UA website (under airport lounge locations) lists 2 lounges in the "70's gates", 1 gate-side, 1 on the Mez, 1 Rotunda, and 1 "International terminal across from the G Terminal security checkpoint-temporary for eligible passengers".
That's consistent with reports that UA would reopen the mezzanine club and open a temporary club across from the G terminal club. There's been ongoing construction in the space there that used to be occupied by Andale.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's consistent with reports that UA would reopen the mezzanine club and open a temporary club across from the G terminal club. There's been ongoing construction in the space there that used to be occupied by Andale.
Thanks Kacee. I am curious why there is no mention of the old IFL. Could it be closed for modification to a UC?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: NZ *E
AirNz also mentioning the lounge closure:
https://www.airnewzealand.com/partner-lounge-directory

Same as SQ -- J passengers to the old GF lounge and all other *G to the Terminal 3 United Club (and paid lounge members get no lounge but a voucher for food at the airport)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by samjnz
...and paid lounge members get no lounge but a voucher for food at the airport)
This assertion needs clarification.

Can you elaborate on this? Which "paid lounge members" are you talking about? Which airline and where does one get the alleged vouchers?

You also seem to be confused by United's set-up at SFO. The int'l gates are part of Terminal 3. The subject Club in Terminal 3, G concourse is closing (has closed), leaving the Rotunda Club and the newer Club at the head of the 60s concourse, both still in T3.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 1, 2017 at 5:59 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This assertion needs clarification.

Can you elaborate on this? Which "paid lounge members" are you talking about? Which airline and where does one get the alleged vouchers?
NZ Koru members flying on NZ in Y or PE will be given a "refreshment voucher" at check-in.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You also seem to be confused by United's set-up at SFO. The int'l gates are part of Terminal 3.
No, the Int'l gates are part of the International Terminal. The International terminal has 2 wings, boarding area A and boarding area G. Terminal 3 also has 2 wings, boarding after E and boarding after F.

It just so happens that boarding area A and G are not connected, whilst E and F and G are now connected. (I saw "now" because historically they were not).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
This is what's on united.com on the page related to Important Travel Notices and more specifically on that page, United Club location updates:

On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.

My read of everything I've seen across the many carriers with closed facilities at G is that there is no United Club at this time in G. The former GFL will act as a Departure Lounge for Star Alliance (including United) Business & First Class passengers only. UC membership will not gain you access to the lounge, nor will *G on an Economy or Premium Economy ticket.

The former Mezzanine (airside) Club across from Gate 71A is reopened. It was a temporary club for a bit over a year before Boarding Area E's United Club was opened.

With regard to using Priority Pass for the AF/KLM Lounge in Boarding Area A - International Terminal, I was able to use a domestic United boarding pass and my PP Card to access that lounge about 2 months ago. Aside from a caution that I wouldn't hear any boarding announcements, I was warmly welcomed to that lounge and enjoyed some decent snacks. Having Clear and TSA Pre certainly helps with movement between the terminals and it helped me get my steps in for the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.