Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
So now it's slipped to "Summer 2018." That's two years plus from when Polaris was first announced.
Polaris is turning out to be more marketing hype than actual improved service.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Any SFO Arrival Lounge related news/rumors on whether it stays or close after the opening of Polaris Lounge (in the summer of 2018)?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:31 am

As someone with construction renovation experience these types of delays fascinate me on such corporate/professional projects. It's one thing to delay construction due to permitting/design, but to have multiple delays once construction has commenced on what's effectively an interior renovation and build-out is wild. Isn't like they can blame rain for bad soil conditions. Considering the amount of time UA has been at SFO I find it hard to believe they didn't know exactly what the space consisted of prior to construction starting.

And this thread is reminding me why I got out of the field...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Any SFO Arrival Lounge related news/rumors on whether it stays or close after the opening of Polaris Lounge (in the summer of 2018)?
I saw somewhere that it is to remain as is (for the time being).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
It's one thing to delay construction due to permitting/design, but to have multiple delays once construction has commenced on what's effectively an interior renovation and build-out is wild. Isn't like they can blame rain for bad soil conditions. Considering the amount of time UA has been at SFO I find it hard to believe they didn't know exactly what the space consisted of prior to construction starting.
I suspect they changed the plans midstream to expand the Polaris lounge based on experiences at ORD, which partially explains the delay, but given that the entire space is now shuttered it's really difficult to understand (borderline incomprehensible) why they now need nine months plus for an interior build-out.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given all the above I tend to think that full N.A. Polaris lounge roll-out (ORD, SFO, EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX) will not be in place until 2020!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
In my email update today it was mentioned about a Club option across from 71A. That is in addition to the Recently done up E lounge? or is that the same one?

it didn't mention a UC in G (the former GFL space). It just said use a domestic lounge and plan 10-15 minutes walk.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
...it didn't mention a UC in G (the former GFL space). It just said use a domestic lounge and plan 10-15 minutes walk.
I guess they're avoiding calling it a UC because UC admittance rules are not applicable in a lot of cases. Can't get admittance based solely on *G, UC membership, or day passes. It's being strictly used for passengers in Polaris Business/First and *G front cabins.

"Across from 71A" is sort of where the mezzanine lounge was (albeit upstairs). I wonder if that's it? E lounge isn't across from 71A, it's at head of the concourse.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 3, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
In my email update today it was mentioned about a Club option across from 71A. That is in addition to the Recently done up E lounge? or is that the same one?

it didn't mention a UC in G (the former GFL space). It just said use a domestic lounge and plan 10-15 minutes walk.
One wonders what they will be doing for passengers with disabilities. I believe they're required to provide reasonable accommodations.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I guess they're avoiding calling it a UC because UC admittance rules are not applicable in a lot of cases. Can't get admittance based solely on *G, UC membership, or day passes. It's being strictly used for passengers in Polaris Business/First and *G front cabins.

"Across from 71A" is sort of where the mezzanine lounge was (albeit upstairs). I wonder if that's it? E lounge isn't across from 71A, it's at head of the concourse.
yes good input - my email does say mezzanine level. I didn't even know that one existed past or present.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
yes good input - my email does say mezzanine level. I didn't even know that one existed past or present.
Year and years ago it was a street-side lounge, closed many years ago, became a USO lounge for a while, I believe.

Couple years ago, it was changed to have an airside entrance and was used while the E concourse lounge was being built and then closed again.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
As someone with construction renovation experience these types of delays fascinate me on such corporate/professional projects. It's one thing to delay construction due to permitting/design, but to have multiple delays once construction has commenced on what's effectively an interior renovation and build-out is wild. Isn't like they can blame rain for bad soil conditions. Considering the amount of time UA has been at SFO I find it hard to believe they didn't know exactly what the space consisted of prior to construction starting.
If I recall correctly, the G UC had the back half walled off, for the start of the Polaris renovation, almost one full year ago. And now they are saying that this interior renovation is going to take almost 2 full years? Even with a possible modification of plans noted upthread, that is just absurd.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm a bit confused after reading all this. I'm flying Polaris tomorrow. Is there anything in SFO that isn't a standard UC and only for business class passengers? Do I have access to the space the old GFL use to be?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm a bit confused after reading all this. I'm flying Polaris tomorrow. Is there anything in SFO that isn't a standard UC and only for business class passengers? Do I have access to the space the old GFL use to be?
Yes, and yes. The old GFL is now open using the same access rules as the ORD Polaris Lounge (though it is presumably just UC quality).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, and yes. The old GFL is now open using the same access rules as the ORD Polaris Lounge (though it is presumably just UC quality).
Thanks! You'd think they would maintain the GFL spread which was decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.