Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:48 am

United Airlines Club Polaris

Lifetime Club members should have access to Polaris Lounges.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stacylk2003
Why?

Sure it be nice, but why not any UC member? Previously Lifetime Club never had access to Arrival Lounges or First Class Lounges or other specialty lounges.

They have access to what they were promised to have -- access to the standard departure lounge (United Clubs -- and before that Red Carpet or Presidents Club).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
That would be great for you but not so nice for the rest of us. Take a look inside the ORD Polaris club and you'll know why
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I have lifetime club membership, but still think that's silly.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:38 am

I just received an email from UA talking about the lounge changes at SFO and that they are in the process of setting up a temporary club in E. I just went through SFO twice last week and there were no signs of any construction in E. Does anyone have any more insight on this?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by altbg
I just received an email from UA talking about the lounge changes at SFO and that they are in the process of setting up a temporary club in E. I just went through SFO twice last week and there were no signs of any construction in E. Does anyone have any more insight on this?
I got the same.

There's one under construction in G. I wonder if it was a typo.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Could they reopen the temp Club with no windows on the Mezzanine level near gate 71?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Absolutely not !!!

The cost of your lifetime membership doesn't even equal to two international F or C tickets !
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Zero chance. There's no benefit to UA in doing so since those memberships have zero value to UA - in fact, they're a liability until everyone holding the same quits traveling or dies (whichever comes first). UA is not going to anything to enhance lifetime member benefits.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Could they reopen the temp Club with no windows on the Mezzanine level near gate 71?
that would be my guess. It did have a window into the hallway 😬 For what it was, I thought it was pretty nice (and less crowded than the rotunda club).
SFO 1K likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm trying to figure out why the wiki suggests that the newish lounge by gate 70 will go Polaris, given how far it is from most international departures. Isn't the plan to make the international UC into a Polaris lounge, taking over the SQ/BR space in the process? Then turning the GFL and the business center spaces into UCs? I see no reason to have a second Polaris lounge.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by N1120A
I'm trying to figure out why the wiki suggests that the newish lounge by gate 70 will go Polaris, given how far it is from most international departures. Isn't the plan to make the international UC into a Polaris lounge, taking over the SQ/BR space in the process? Then turning the GFL and the business center spaces into UCs? I see no reason to have a second Polaris lounge.
Good question. I believe that to be incorrect. All credible reports are that the G Terminal UC will become a Polaris lounge. I'm changing it back.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
that would be my guess. It did have a window into the hallway 😬 For what it was, I thought it was pretty nice (and less crowded than the rotunda club).

+1. Although a bit more of a commitment of time to get there and back down, I preferred to go there than the rotunda when I could. And I usually like sunshine and windows!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
How's the crowding with the lounges? My friend is flying UA926 to FRA leaving at 7pm next Tuesday. I'm going to give him one of my Chase passes because I have to drop him off about 3:30 but if they're not letting people with passes in I'd rather just keep it because I won't see him again until Feb and not worth the hassle to mail it back to me from Berlin.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
How's the crowding with the lounges? My friend is flying UA926 to FRA leaving at 7pm next Tuesday. I'm going to give him one of my Chase passes because I have to drop him off about 3:30 but if they're not letting people with passes in I'd rather just keep it because I won't see him again until Feb and not worth the hassle to mail it back to me from Berlin.
3:30 should be a relatively dead time in the international club. After the 1st bank of departures and a bit early for the 2nd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.