Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by kthpence
Every time I've been to the Cent lounge at SFO, it's been quiet. I have never had that experience at a UA lounge at SFO, or anywhere really.
I've had the exact opposite experience -- packed to the gills and quite noisy. Having said that, the food and beverage program is clearly superior to everything in the UA system except the London GFL - my favorite lounge bar none - and perhaps the Chicago Polaris Lounge. Anxious to see that, and the roll out to other stations.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I would like to suggest that someone with knowledge add to the Wiki of this thread the current status of construction of each of the UA/*A lounge areas in the Intl Terminal (i.e., the GFL and UC locations ... and SQ lounge).

And including a date for each subsequent update is recommended.

Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by findark
It's almost certainly agent discretion. Last time I was flying (1K and no-status companion on GPUs), I quietly asked if they were "still sending 1Ks down to the GFL" and got the invite right away. The couple before us got it unprompted, with a "thank you for your loyalty".

I think a politely worded question like that is probably helpful, and treat it like a pleasant surprise.
Thanks for everyone's responses. Sounds like asking nicely while on a Polaris ticket might get me the GFL access.

From a food and drink perspective would you pick GF or just stick with AMEX lounge? And overall comfort?
Old May 6, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Just visited GFL before flying UA1 in Polaris as 1K.

Asked the LD at the entrance of UC whether 1Ks flying in Polaris can access GFL instead. She outright refused. Went upstairs, asked the service person at the desk, she said she didn't know anything and to ask downstairs. I walked straight out, went to GFL, told them I'm 1K flying in Polaris and that I heard that I may have access to GFL, LD there immediately said "Yes, of course! Welcome!"
Old May 6, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by hdogan
Just visited GFL before flying UA1 in Polaris as 1K.

Asked the LD at the entrance of UC whether 1Ks flying in Polaris can access GFL instead. She outright refused. Went upstairs, asked the service person at the desk, she said she didn't know anything and to ask downstairs. I walked straight out, went to GFL, told them I'm 1K flying in Polaris and that I heard that I may have access to GFL, LD there immediately said "Yes, of course! Welcome!"
Did you happen to learn when the GFL is closing?
Old May 6, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 747FC
Did you happen to learn when the GFL is closing?
No, unfortunately not. There didn't seem much construction to be going on around UC, so I don't think it's happening any time soon.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:49 pm

SFO GFL open to J?

My friend is flying in upgraded J SFO-SIN tonight and went to the GFL. They asked if he was in J, he said yes and they let him in. Is this new?
Old May 6, 2017, 10:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deskover54
My friend is flying in upgraded J SFO-SIN tonight and went to the GFL. They asked if he was in J, he said yes and they let him in. Is this new?
For the past few weeks, as construction has decreased the size of the International UC, there have been spotty reports of this. See more in posts in this thread.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For the past few weeks, as construction has decreased the size of the International UC, there have been spotty reports of this. See more in posts in this thread.
It's great to let folks in, but there should just be a consistent policy. They gave me such a hard time when I was with another GS but the intl flight was a short one. They were confused on the rules themselves (as was I). I say just be clear and consistent.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deskover54
It's great to let folks in, but there should just be a consistent policy. They gave me such a hard time when I was with another GS but the intl flight was a short one. They were confused on the rules themselves (as was I). ...
The impression of some is this is variable depending on crowding in the main international UC -- so it is variable, not unexpected in a period of transition.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: American, United, Southwest, Singapore Airlines, Delta
United SFO International Terminal packed and still under construction

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The impression of some is this is variable depending on crowding in the main international UC -- so it is variable, not unexpected in a period of transition.

I was at SFO today on my way to Asia. This is my 4th passing through while traveling to Asia since February 2017. The United Lounge continues to be under construction as a result the available space in it is packed, packed, packed....

The entrance to the lounge this morning had a line about 20-person or more long - it was stretching towards the TSA exit area...I am not sure what exactly the plan has been so far, but when I first saw the "renovation" sign I think it stated "temporarily" but 3 months later, it is still in the same shape...

The place was very busy before (before construction started) - now is even more...

I have not seen signs of any kind stating how long this will continue.

Are other airports (e.g. Chicago, LAX...) in the same situation?
Old May 7, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by flyerNik
... The entrance to the lounge this morning had a line about 20-person or more long - it was stretching towards the TSA exit area...I am not sure what exactly the plan has been so far, but when I first saw the "renovation" sign I think it stated "temporarily" but 3 months later, it is still in the same shape...
UA is has been doing significant renovations of its UCs for the past year plus. Additionally it is adding multiple "Polaris" level lounges for its international business class customers at UA hubs.

This is in progress at SFO and there is a massive change in the SFO International UC. It is scheduled to be the Polaris lounge and will take over the space previously used by SQ and BR. So, quite a bit more than just a "refresh." It was projected to be at least a 6 month project.

Originally Posted by flyerNik
Are other airports (e.g. Chicago, LAX...) in the same situation?
LAX when thru the renovation process last year, so no active lounge construction at this time. But a LAX Polaris lounge staring "late" (probably very late) 2017 is on the roadmap.
There is the *A TBIT lounge also.

ORD 's Polaris lounge is finished (but some rumors of additional expansion) but there are renovations of some of the UCs.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...enovation.html
Old May 7, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Peak times?

Connecting thru SFO on May 12, flying J to HKG with a non-GS companion. Based on the variable handling of giving access to the GFL in those situations, my guess is peak international travel times would be the most likely times to be allowed in the GFL. Can the experts tell me what the peak times for the Asia window would be? Tyvm.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
SFO GFL

Update.........Walked to the Int'l UC and they were not backed up at 9:30 am but starting to fill up. Asked if they were sending GS with non-GS companions to the GFL. They said only if companion is on a full fare! OK, decided to walk over to the GFL anyway and asked there since we had a lot of time. Really nice lounge person said sure you can both come in. At that point a more senior person approached and said "only if on a full fare ticket, we are really packed today". I said fine but I wanted to at last ask. She softened and said "as a favor, we will do a surprise and delight for your Plat friend". That was very nice and by rule she could have turned us away. Got into the club and it is EMPTY!!! Seats available everywhere. Maybe 10 people when we came in. Maybe it will get busy later, but it is sure a ton better than the under construction Int'l Club. I will miss this lounge.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Update.........Walked to the Int'l UC and they were not backed up at 9:30 am but starting to fill up. Asked if they were sending GS with non-GS companions to the GFL. They said only if companion is on a full fare! OK, decided to walk over to the GFL anyway and asked there since we had a lot of time. Really nice lounge person said sure you can both come in. At that point a more senior person approached and said "only if on a full fare ticket, we are really packed today". I said fine but I wanted to at last ask. She softened and said "as a favor, we will do a surprise and delight for your Plat friend". That was very nice and by rule she could have turned us away. Got into the club and it is EMPTY!!! Seats available everywhere. Maybe 10 people when we came in. Maybe it will get busy later, but it is sure a ton better than the under construction Int'l Club. I will miss this lounge.
UA needs to do more Surprise and Delight, and less Enrage and Incite.
brodes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.