Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Update.........Walked to the Int'l UC and they were not backed up at 9:30 am but starting to fill up. Asked if they were sending GS with non-GS companions to the GFL. They said only if companion is on a full fare! OK, decided to walk over to the GFL anyway and asked there since we had a lot of time. Really nice lounge person said sure you can both come in. At that point a more senior person approached and said "only if on a full fare ticket, we are really packed today". I said fine but I wanted to at last ask. She softened and said "as a favor, we will do a surprise and delight for your Plat friend". That was very nice and by rule she could have turned us away. Got into the club and it is EMPTY!!! Seats available everywhere. Maybe 10 people when we came in. Maybe it will get busy later, but it is sure a ton better than the under construction Int'l Club. I will miss this lounge.
What time did you leave?

I would imagine busiest around 12-1p?
Old May 13, 2017, 9:41 pm

Flying to SYD through SFO from east coast late June. Any chance the new Polaris lounge will be open in SFO or will I have to visit the Centurion Lounge to grab a shower before the SFO - SYD leg?
Old May 13, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Flying to SYD through SFO from east coast late June. Any chance the new Polaris lounge will be open in SFO or will I have to visit the Centurion Lounge to grab a shower before the SFO - SYD leg?
Chances are no, I would recommend the Centurion Lounge
Old May 16, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, HH Dia
Flying to China. Just visited the Silverkris lounge - morning hours are back! So this is still an option for Star Golds.

Nice to experience it again before it closely permanently.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by transportprof
UA needs to do more Surprise and Delight, and less Enrage and Incite.
Truth right here.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Got into the club and it is EMPTY!!! Seats available everywhere. Maybe 10 people when we came in. Maybe it will get busy later, but it is sure a ton better than the under construction Int'l Club. I will miss this lounge.
Glad it worked out ^

We got in as 1Ks a couple weeks back on award tix, which apparently show as "full fare" in the computer.

Probably too much to ask for a 'surprise and delight' on my upgraded W to HKG in a couple of weeks
Old May 17, 2017, 12:37 am

I'm flying as a 1K with my parents and I connected their reservation to mine. All three of us are flying in P. What are the chances that they will let all three of us into the GFL? Flight departs at 10:50 and we would arrive into SFO around 8:30 on a connecting flight.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably too much to ask for a 'surprise and delight' on my upgraded W to HKG in a couple of weeks
Had no trouble getting into the GFL in March on a GPU-supported ticket. I think it's just wildly dependent on agent and never hurts to ask.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by cooljw
Flying to China. Just visited the Silverkris lounge - morning hours are back! So this is still an option for Star Golds.

Nice to experience it again before it closely permanently.
do you know the last date SQ / eva lounge will operate? After they close, which lounge will *G econ class has access to?
Old May 17, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Had no trouble getting into the GFL in March on a GPU-supported ticket. I think it's just wildly dependent on agent and never hurts to ask.
I've no doubt that's the case. Though the rule we were quoted at the UC was 1K on a "full fare" ticket.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I was sent to the GFL on a GPU supported ticket.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:38 pm

F lounge options at SFO?

On a UA F TPAC ticket, will have about 3 hours connection at SFO enroute on mid-morning flt. to ICN on UA. I don't have any status, no AMEX, etc. Flying in early July which may also mean by then the sledgehammer will be taken to the GFL. Which is/are the best lounge(s) to use for clean, quiet and a quality breakfast - thinking along the line of what QF First Lounge at LAX has, fresh cooked b'fast? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by loopflyer; May 17, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer
On a UA F TPAC ticket, will have about 3 hours connection at SFO enroute on mid-morning flt. to ICN on UA. I don't have any status, no AMEX, etc. Flying in early July which may also mean by then the sledgehammer will be taken to the GFL. Which is/are the best lounge(s) to use for clean, quiet and a quality breakfast - thinking along the line of what QF First Lounge at LAX has, fresh cooked b'fast? Thank you in advance.
As this is an UA specific thread, no lounge has a quality fresh cooked breakfast. The international lounge has food but it's buffet style and certainly isn't like, eggs and sausage. It's more like bagels, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

I haven't been to the GFL, they might have more options but like you said it might already have construction going on by then.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by cooljw
Flying to China. Just visited the Silverkris lounge - morning hours are back!
Did you happen to see what opening hours are posted?
Old May 17, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Which is/are the best lounge(s) to use for clean, quiet and a quality breakfast - thinking along the line of what QF First Lounge at LAX has, fresh cooked b'fast?
Originally Posted by warrenw
As this is an UA specific thread, no lounge has a quality fresh cooked breakfast.
The arrivals lounge has a nice breakfast (though probably not relevant to this specific question, due to presumed lack of access). I assume GFL does as well, though I haven't been there at that hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.