Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I asked a few weeks ago when I was there and they said "end of 2017". So I suspect it will be open for a while longer. It's busier than it used to be given that they are letting some full J pax in.

They also assured me that I would "love" the new Polaris product and that it will be just like F, even with 60 seats.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Centurion Lounge?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by loopflyer
Any update on the closure of SFO GFL. Flying early July. If it is closed what are, if any, the alternatives that UA ticketed F Pax would have for F lounge access? I suppose UA will simply shunt F pax to United Club. Thanks in advance.
Doubt UA will fully close the existing SFO GFL until the SFO Polaris is opened. And then the GF will be sent to the Polaris club, nothing has been reported if there will be a "roped off" section there for GF. But GF is progressively going away (especially in SFO with the retirement of 747s) and doubt UA will make too big of thing for replacing the GF once Polaris Lounge is up.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Doubt UA will fully close the existing SFO GFL until the SFO Polaris is opened.
Exactly. Presumably won't begin converting GFL to a UC until Polaris lounge (already under construction) has opened.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
I was on a paid J ticket on 5/26 and tried to get into the GFL. They were very direct in saying no and letting me know it is for "first class passengers only." The United club seemed pretty out of the loop with the whole lounge shuffle "Well this one will become polaris and they are going to open a regular club further down the terminal, i'm not sure what they will do with the global first"

The UC in SFO was not a good experience, packed and in disrepair. The bathrooms were gross and the toilet seat was broken. If you have access to Centurion go there first!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Are most people trying this asking at the UC first, or just trying to go into the GFL? I would assume the former is better, as that's what worked for me..
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Are most people trying this asking at the UC first, or just trying to go into the GFL? I would assume the former is better, as that's what worked for me..
You were lucky. The usual answer is "no, full fare ticket only."
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You were lucky. The usual answer is "no, full fare ticket only."
'Full fare' = J / C / D, I suppose? I.e. not P / Z?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Are they sure they are taking over BR and SQ lounges? Both still remain open and both airlines say that they have not received word on any closures.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Polaris opening now pushed to 2018

In this article about overcrowding at ORD Polaris Lounge, there is a tidbit at the end that SFO and EWR lounges won't be opening until early 2018.

Anyone want to go out on a limb and peg which month "early" will equate to?

See:
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...at-ohare.html?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
In this article about overcrowding at ORD Polaris Lounge, there is a tidbit at the end that SFO and EWR lounges won't be opening until early 2018. ...
I bet LAX Polaris opens well before both of those.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I bet LAX Polaris opens well before both of those.
I guess UA's LAX fliers deserve a break after losing their Terminal 6 gates during the "dark days" of the merger integration.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by transportprof
I guess UA's LAX fliers deserve a break after losing their Terminal 6 gates during the "dark days" of the merger integration.
And a big break after losing the GFL some years ago
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 747FC
And a big break after losing the GFL some years ago
Amen.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
And to think that I just left the SFO UC (74) for the UC in the International Gates because I thought it would be less crowded. However, due to the Polaris installation, they have closed off 1/2 of the club, so now it is really overcrowded. At least the SQ lounge is still available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.