Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by bkc6j
I've already tried doing a number of keyword searches, and skimmed through a lot of the pages here, and I can't find anyone talking much about the bulkhead leg room for 16 DEFG. Anyone having any thoughts / advice / or pictures?

Party of 3 traveling with a toddler (in his own seat), so the exit rows are not an option. Basically trying to decide between 18 ABC vs 16 DEF (I don't mind having a 4th random person in our row if the bulkhead option is better for other reasons). I'm around 6'1" and just trying to figure out if I am going to feel the legroom is too tight on the middle bulkhead. Flying DEN-HNL, so around 7 hours.
I was interested in the answer to this, and so can now report back having flown in 16D. Lots of leg room, so much so that during boarding the space between the seats and the bulkhead was used by pax to get to the far row. The proximity of the lav was no bother. 17ABC and JKL also look great.
pbartp likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I've heard 48 KL and AB (2 seaters) have fantastic legroom due to the curvature of the plane. Is this true? Would you recommend this over a 3 seater in E+ for a couple?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
I've heard 48 KL and AB (2 seaters) have fantastic legroom due to the curvature of the plane. Is this true? Would you recommend this over a 3 seater in E+ for a couple?
Curvature will do nothing for leg space (pitch is unchanged) but there will a sense of a wider space. And it is x2 instead of 3x, so no middle per se.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am on SFO-HNL this week which looks like a V4 according to the seat map. 1B, 3B and 3L are currently open. I am a die hard aisle person but I want to take advantage of the lie flats and have a nap so I am currently in 3L. I have read this thread about the despised 1B but would I be better off in 3B? How bad is it to sleep in a rear-facing aisle seat? It is a daytime flight and I get up to pee a lot, although not when sleeping, of course.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Finkface
I am on SFO-HNL this week which looks like a V4 according to the seat map. 1B, 3B and 3L are currently open. I am a die hard aisle person but I want to take advantage of the lie flats and have a nap so I am currently in 3L. I have read this thread about the despised 1B but would I be better off in 3B? How bad is it to sleep in a rear-facing aisle seat? It is a daytime flight and I get up to pee a lot, although not when sleeping, of course.
The first time that my wife and I had to sit in rear-facing seats was on BA when that company gave us an OpUp when we were boarding a LHR-EWR flight. They were middle seats. So, first ,we thought that maybe it would have been better to keep our Premium Economy bulkhead seats. But we slept really good and then we read that it's better to sleep in rear-facing seats so that should not be an issue for you. If you like to stand up a lot during the flight, it's way better to get an aisle seat.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
An explanation is that the plane does not fly flat. It is titled slightly upwards from the rear to the front. When you sleep on read-facing seats, your head is slightly higher than your feet. Does it make some sense?
Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The first time that my wife and I had to sit in rear-facing seats was on BA when that company gave us an OpUp when we were boarding a LHR-EWR flight. They were middle seats. So, first ,we thought that maybe it would have been better to keep our Premium Economy bulkhead seats. But we slept really good and then we read that it's better to sleep in rear-facing seats so that should not be an issue for you. If you like to stand up a lot during the flight, it's way better to get an aisle seat.
Thanks, not concerned about the rear facing at all. As you said, it is actually better for sleeping. Just more how bad are the aisle seats if trying to sleep? Are they really exposed? If not bad, I will take the aisle. If they are awful, I’ll stick with the window.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:40 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

Not sure why 1B is despised, other than more foot traffic, but yes, I'd take 3B over it because it is more towards the back of the cabin and thus a bit quieter. But any aisle seat is more 'exposed'...Perhaps 1B more than 3B.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks, not concerned about the rear facing at all. As you said, it is actually better for sleeping. Just more how bad are the aisle seats if trying to sleep? Are they really exposed? If not bad, I will take the aisle. If they are awful, I’ll stick with the window.
Sorry I misread your question. My wife and I both like aisle seats. We don't have any problems that they are more exposed on the 772s. If we are really lucky we get aisle seats that are across each other. If we are less lucky, we get aisle seats on different rows or sides of the plane. I could take either 1B or 3B. Maybe Row 1 gets served the meal before Row 3 which I see as an advantage.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Sorry I misread your question. My wife and I both like aisle seats. We don't have any problems that they are more exposed on the 772s. If we are really lucky we get aisle seats that are across each other. If we are less lucky, we get aisle seats on different rows or sides of the plane. I could take either 1B or 3B. Maybe Row 1 gets served the meal before Row 3 which I see as an advantage.
Ok, and thanks to all who responded. Will move back to 3B as the thought of not being free to get up as I please is not appealing. As I said in another thread about BA CW seats, with my luck I will have Peter Dinklage in the window who will have to roll over me instead of climb. Might be a fun flight...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Not sure why 1B is despised, other than more foot traffic
1B and 1K are awful seats because of the curvature of the fuselage. You are literally in the aisle right where it runs in to the galley/lav area.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:28 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I fly SFO/HNL/GUM 3 or 4 times a year and my seat of choice is 3B on the 777-200. Just a personal preference and I find being further back in the cabin is a bit less busy.

Last edited by DEN; Aug 20, 2019 at 2:56 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Booked a LAX-EWR flight for my dad in December but didnt realize it was the HD 772 with the crappy 2-4-2 business seats! Is UA planning to retrofit or phase out these aircrafts like the other 777s?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by deepakvalecha
Booked a LAX-EWR flight for my dad in December but didnt realize it was the HD 772 with the crappy 2-4-2 business seats! Is UA planning to retrofit or phase out these aircrafts like the other 777s?
No. The HD fleet will actually be expanded for domestic flights.
Edit: 4 more 772 ERs will join the HD fleet. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31363437-post524.html

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 23, 2019 at 7:51 am Reason: Add a link
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: VS Gold
39A - cramped by exit slide, and toilets question

Could not find the answer here.. on the layout where 39 only has 2 seats on each side (AB etc), does the exit slide interfere with legroom, and do the toilets open into the aisle or to the front/rear?

I guess it will be cold in that seat, regardless!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.