Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by be001
Got 4 of us going hnl-sfo on this...how is the leg room on row 40? Seat guru says that row 49/50 are roomy too. ...
They are standard E- leg space, but as the taper of the fuselage cuts the cabin width, those seats have a little extra space on the aisle and window. The seats are standard E- in width and pitch.

As a two-seat combo vs three seats, they feel less crowded.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:41 pm

Question

Cautiously expecting an upgrade via RPU for myself and a companion on ORD-HNL on Fri 4/6. If current seat map holds, I figured our best pair of seats would be 1K + 1L. But based on comments above, sounds like 1K sticks out in the aisle. Would 1D + 1E or 1F + 1G be preferable? Thanks!

Last edited by SpicyMeatball; Apr 4, 2018 at 9:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
Cautiously expecting an upgrade via RPU for myself and a companion on ORD-HNL on Fri 4/6. If current seat map holds, I figured our best pair of seats would be 1K + 1L. But based on comments above, sounds like 1K sticks out in the aisle. Would 1D + 1E or 1F + 1G be preferable? Thanks!
The E/F pairs have very little divider between them (two little nibs of an armrest) and you can end up getting very familiar with your center seatmate. Personally I would take 1KL, aisle intrusion or no, over anything in the center block. The last time we were on a 77G with only center seats left, my GF and I actually flew in 2D and 2G, just to avoid middle seats.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
Cautiously expecting an upgrade via RPU for myself and a companion on ORD-HNL on Fri 4/6. If current seat map holds, I figured our best pair of seats would be 1K + 1L. But based on comments above, sounds like 1K sticks out in the aisle. Would 1D + 1E or 1F + 1G be preferable?
Unfortunately there is no good answer. Pick your poison - stick out into the aisle in 1K or be uncomfortably close to a neighbor in a center seat.

Hope you didn't jinx yourself asking about seats before the upgrade cleared
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Debating whether to pony up $199 to upgrade an upcoming SFO-ORD red-eye on this bird. Would you guys say it's worth it for a 4 hour flight? I've never flown in the pm-ua j seats, and I know they have a "dorm bed" reputation.

IfI do end up upgrading, the side seats available are 2a/3ab/4b and 1lk/3lk. Which would you guys recommend? I usually prefer a window seat, but I don't want to be stuck looking at my neighbor the whole flight, which I think many of these seats are. I'm leaning 4b because it seems more private, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold

Whats the general opinion on 41C/H?

Is there more legroom?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zeer0
Debating whether to pony up $199 to upgrade an upcoming SFO-ORD red-eye on this bird. Would you guys say it's worth it for a 4 hour flight? I've never flown in the pm-ua j seats, and I know they have a "dorm bed" reputation.

IfI do end up upgrading, the side seats available are 2a/3ab/4b and 1lk/3lk. Which would you guys recommend? I usually prefer a window seat, but I don't want to be stuck looking at my neighbor the whole flight, which I think many of these seats are. I'm leaning 4b because it seems more private, but correct me if I'm wrong.
FWIW I don't like seats near toilets. I don't understand your sentence about being stuck staring at your neighbor the whole flight if you are sitting in a window seat. Usually, when I sit I look straight ahead or turn a little towards the window. Maybe I don't understand the sitting pattern in this configuration. Something I need to check I guess.

But for a red-eye flight, I would pay $199. I find night flights very tiring if I have to be in the seated position.

I read in one thread a long time ago that a good price for the TOD is less than $60/hour of flight.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
FWIW I don't like seats near toilets. I don't understand your sentence about being stuck staring at your neighbor the whole flight if you are sitting in a window seat. Usually, when I sit I look straight ahead or turn a little towards the window. Maybe I don't understand the sitting pattern in this configuration. Something I need to check I guess.
This configuration is such that half the seats face forward and half face back. So in many of the seats you end up looking back or forward at someone the whole flight. I'm trying to figure out if there are any seats where that isn't the case

Last edited by zeer0; Apr 14, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
This configuration is such that half the seats face forward and half face back. So in many of the seats you end up looking across at someone the whole flight. I'm trying to figure out if there are any seats where that isn't the case
4B is the only seat you list that will not have passengers staring in your face. This would be the best option. If you have to go window, which I get, 1L would be the runner up.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:21 am

This configuration is such that half the seats face forward and half face back. So in many of the seats you end up looking across at someone the whole flight. I'm trying to figure out if there are any seats where that isn't the case
I know that's the problem when in an aisle seat but I don't see what the problem would be in the window seat. I think there's enough space between a window seat and the aisle so you would not be really looking at the person on the other side of the aisle from your window seat.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:25 am

I know that's the problem when in an aisle seat but I don't see what the problem would be in the window seat. I think there's enough space between a window seat and the aisle so you would not be really looking at the person on the other side of the aisle from your window seat.
I think I'm doing a terrible job of describing myself. I mean that you end up facing someone forward or back, not to the side. And that would apply to most seats in this configuration it seems.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I'm doing a terrible job of describing myself. I mean that you end up facing someone forward or back, not to the side. And that would apply to most seats in this configuration it seems.
There is a screen bank between each 'facing' pair, so for instance 1L does not see 2L except when standing up. Is that your concern?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by fumje
There is a screen bank between each 'facing' pair, so for instance 1L does not see 2L except when standing up. Is that your concern?
That's the information I was looking for. So, a window seat is safe from seeing the person on the other side of the aisle. But 1L seeing 2L when standing up cannot be the concern of the previous poster since the same thing would happen between 4B and 3B.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the information I was looking for. So, a window seat is safe from seeing the person on the other side of the aisle. But 1L seeing 2L when standing up cannot be the concern of the previous poster since the same thing would happen between 4B and 3B.
Agree, perhaps that part should have been parenthetical in my post.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:28 am

Full disclosure now. In the past 18 months, I flew 14 times on the 772 on international flights with the 2-4-2 configuration in Business Class. On 10 out of those 14 flights, I was actually seated in Business Class. I know that in those planes, the window seat passenger does not have the problem of staring at the person on the other side of the aisle. This is too far out. But I was wondering if my recommendation to take a window seat was wrong because maybe in this domestic HD configuration they would have a lower screen bank. Now, thanks to Fumje, I know that there's no such concern.

So, zeer0, pay the $199 for the upgrade. Today, when I checked in for my flight ORD-LAX, UA wanted $2029 for the upgrade and it's not even a red-eye. You are getting a good deal. Since you normally prefer a window seat, take a window seat.

PS: Good that I was not even close to tempted to upgrade at the $2029 price as, less than 4 hours after checking-in, the waitlisted RPU cleared.
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 14, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.