Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold

I did a search but didn't find anything posted - looks as if my flight on Friday has just been changed to the new v5 with 3-4-3 in coach.

I'm silver so I will be able to move to E+ tomorrow (Thursday) if available. Anyone with comments on seats to avoid or request? SeatGuru didn't have it listed either.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BruceWG
I did a search but didn't find anything posted - looks as if my flight on Friday has just been changed to the new v5 with 3-4-3 in coach.

I'm silver so I will be able to move to E+ tomorrow (Thursday) if available. Anyone with comments on seats to avoid or request? SeatGuru didn't have it listed either.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
No reports yet . . . you could be the first!

Mods, it may be time to start the "where to sit" thread.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
No reports yet . . . you could be the first!

Mods, it may be time to start the "where to sit" thread.
Fun - I will be sure to comment. Now, if everyone wants to pitch in and contribute I'll be happy to upgrade to first and promise to write a detailed report

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I was on it a couple weeks ago. Here's what I said:

I was on it ORD-SFO on Sunday.

Hadn't been following this thread, so didn't even realize anything had changed until I got onboard and said 'this looks different'

First impressions: J looks perfectly fine. Yes it's 2-4-2, but the seats are lie flat; the screens are big, etc. it's no Polaris, but for the largely domestic runs it will be fine.

Y is NARROW. No worse than the 787 I was on last week, but man... That could be rough on a long flight. Seats were fairly firm. Power outlets are on the seat in front... No scrounging underneath your seat trying to find it. They have this new blue light that shows up in the aisle when people were plugged in, so FAs can easily enforce the nothing plugged in at takeoff rule. Boo. Overhead light and FA call button was in the top of the armrest, which is the only major design flaw. People were constantly pressing the button while just resting their arm on the armrest.

The neatest thing in Y is the iPad holder mounted in the back of the seat in front of you ( where the IFE used to be ). I know there's mixed feelings about no IFE, but I personally think it's pretty genius.

Wifi didn't work, which I wasn't happy about ( but they gave me a $200 ETC as compensation ).

All told, a fine config for domestic, minus the horribly narrow Y seats.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
This is the first reconfigured 777 for domestic/Hawaii routes.

To OP:

E+ is still E+, only narrower, and FC is lie flat bed in the very unlikely event of u/g.

Should have streaming PDE and WiFi (the latter not free, even in FC).

Last edited by goalie; Jul 6, 2016 at 10:46 pm Reason: Quote of and response to deleted post removed
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
To OP:

E+ is still E+, only narrower, and FC is lie flat bed in the very unlikely event of u/g.

Should have streaming PDE and WiFi (the latter not free, even in FC).
Amazing, statistics prove Americans are getting bigger and wider yet the airlines make the seats narrower and narrower. I've been on a few flights where normal size people say the seats are too narrow to be even half way comfortable. I know the airlines want to make more money but come on, it's getting almost unhealthy how cramped they are making the coach cabins.

Last edited by Baze; Jul 7, 2016 at 11:13 am Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Are the first class seats the pmUA ones? I would assume so, but while the bed length is the same at 6'4", the united website lists the seats in version 5 as being 19" wide while the seats in version 1 and 2 as being only 18.8" wide. Also, version 5 doesn't specify if the seats have USB ports while versions 1 and 2 do.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Amazing, statistics prove Americans are getting bigger and wider yet the airlines make the seats narrower and narrower. I've been on a few flights where normal size people say the seats are too narrow to be even half way comfortable. I know the airlines want to make more money but come it's getting almost unhealthy how cramped they are making the coach cabins.
Even if you are not overweight, with little muscle and fat, your bone structure is often wide enough to overlap to the adjoining seats. I often find I have to pull my elbows toward the center of my body. Was already cramped at 9 across on a 777. Was on an Emirates 777 and walked back to coach, and it looked so crammed that I decided to avoid any 777s at 10 across. 2 hours or less might be OK, but this seems unhealthy and painful.

It will be interesting to see how evacuation fares in an actual crash.

Has any airline used 9 across for economy +, and 10 across for regular coach?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BF263533
Even if you are not overweight, with little muscle and fat, your bone structure is often wide enough to overlap to the adjoining seats. I often find I have to pull my elbows toward the center of my body. Was already cramped at 9 across on a 777. Was on an Emirates 777 and walked back to coach, and it looked so crammed that I decided to avoid any 777s at 10 across. 2 hours or less might be OK, but this seems unhealthy and painful.

It will be interesting to see how evacuation fares in an actual crash.

Has any airline used 9 across for economy +, and 10 across for regular coach?
American puts 9 abreast for their version of economy + and 10 for regular coach.

Seat width is something I pay close attention to. It's not as important if you're traveling with someone you know next to you, but if you're a single traveller, you don't want to be stuck with two wide shouldered bodies next to on a 17 inch seat.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Thumbs down Attendant Call Chime Kept Going Off

I was on the re-configured plane on July 1 from LAX-HNL. CPU did not cleared and was #3 on the list. They cleared #1 who happened to a GS. (Overheard him telling the agent in the plane when he was battleground upgraded)

The plan was swapped to this newer version 2 days prior and I kept my bulk head and was assigned 17L.

1. Plenty of legroom but you can feel the seat is much narrower even thought it may be only about 1"+ off.
2. With added seating, boarding takes a bit longer (full flight) and with people storing carry-ons.
3. In-seat plug was useful
4. In-flight wifi and streaming works and I think they may be running a different version of PDE/Wifi
5. You have the option to pay for Wi-Fi using miles for different hours interval. I paid about 1880 miles for the entire flight just to test out the wifi and to get some work done.
6. The light and attendant call button was on the interior side of the arm rest. Because of that and the narrower seat, the attendant call chime was going off constantly even before the flight took off. The purser had to make an announcement to advise the passengers to be careful. Throughout the flight, you can still hear random attendant calls going off which is pretty annoying.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:10 am

Sounds like a nightmare in E/E+.

I'll be doing my best to avoid this torture machine.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Poster

UA 769: ORD-SFO, 777v5 review

Online link to photos: https://goo.gl/photos/WxdZGcttmMdXiEQ47

First class is the standard configuration and economy is the new 3-4-3 config. It was a full flight but the boarding process didn’t seem longer than normal. When viewing the 3-4-3 seating it does look tighter but while seated it didn’t feel any more cramped than normal; I was in 20C, E+. Even with the full flight there didn’t seem to be any issues with overhead storage. Blankets and pillows were provided in economy. Bulkhead seats A-B-C and J-K-L had lots of legroom as expected but were very cold with a lot of people congregating in the area. Bulkhead D-E-F-G had good legroom. I would avoid 37 A-B and K-L; they looked very claustrophobic.

Seats in economy are the new style and I’m not a fan. The material was neutral; it didn’t feel cheap but didn’t feel especially comfortable. The slight sliding forward as you leaned the headrest back was fine. The biggest flaw is that I could feel every movement into the seat pocket behind me, right in my backside. The seat is very thin and I found that uncomfortable.

This design has one great feature and one that is possibly the worst design ever. The great feature is the clip to hold tablets and phone in the headrest; a simple idea that works well. However, whoever decided to put the FA call button flush on the armrest needs to be sentenced to ride this config for the rest of their life. As mentioned by dordal and fly2lansi above there are literally chimes going off every few seconds for the first part of the flight. The FAs made a couple of announcements about it and it slowed down but never stopped. It quickly went from amusing to annoying and I’ve got to think it’s also a safety issue if someone really did need a FA quickly. Both FAs I chatted with said the exact same thing; “No one asked us.” One mentioned that this was on issue on the DC-10s. I’m betting this gets some type of change (and the sooner the better).
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
When viewing the 3-4-3 seating it does look tighter but while seated it didn’t feel any more cramped than normal

there are literally chimes going off every few seconds for the first part of the flight.
Sure sounds like it's more cramped for some.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks for the report ^

Nice photos, gives a good idea of what it's like.

Agree on the bad seats for a long flight
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
The flight attendant call button / overhead light buttons on this plane are REALLY miserable.

I will repeat that.

The flight attendant call button / overhead light buttons on this plane are REALLY miserable.

I put a pillow over my armrest before I put my arm down and still, through the pillow, I was constantly turning my light off/on, and occasionally setting off the call button. Bad location, bad button design. I hope they stop what they are doing and rectify the mistake before retrofitting any other planes with this style button. Maybe they could move the button to the seatback next to the new tablet holder instead.

The chime was going off every 2-3 seconds for the entire four-hour flight from ORD to SFO. Flight attendants don't even pretend to pay attention to the chime / light any more. They might as well not be there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.