Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I had 49B (2 seat section in the rear) on a recent flight and the legroom was fine, but the narrow seat was shocking. At least nobody bumped into the seat going down the aisle.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:30 am

I flew this plane to Rome in May 2017. Since I have terrible jet lag and then a back injury, I paid my employer difference to business class and was even able to enjoy the then-newly opened Polaris Lounge at ORD. My goal was to sleep on this redeye, which I was able to do. As everyone here says, it was a bit awkward with no storage at the seat and being so close/climbing over a stranger. (I was in a window seat, 6K.)

I'm now looking at Barcelona in May 2019. After pouring through so many updates and announcements, I am stunned to realize they are still flying this configuration internationally. Personally, this "Polaris" is false advertising based on having it on so few planes/lounges. While I do have some United miles (not enough for a RT trip), I started looking elsewhere. I know it's early, but United has their flights priced $1000-2000 more than American. I'd next prefer Delta, but BFF doesn't agree. Delta has more Delta One installed, but from what I understand, still not complete. American meanwhile does have their 777-200 updated with 1-2-1 and one option even takes us through their Flagship Lounge at MIA. Anyone want to tell me why to stick with United?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuardMusic
I flew this plane to Rome in May 2017. Since I have terrible jet lag and then a back injury, I paid my employer difference to business class and was even able to enjoy the then-newly opened Polaris Lounge at ORD. My goal was to sleep on this redeye, which I was able to do. As everyone here says, it was a bit awkward with no storage at the seat and being so close/climbing over a stranger. (I was in a window seat, 6K.)

I'm now looking at Barcelona in May 2019. After pouring through so many updates and announcements, I am stunned to realize they are still flying this configuration internationally. Personally, this "Polaris" is false advertising based on having it on so few planes/lounges. While I do have some United miles (not enough for a RT trip), I started looking elsewhere. I know it's early, but United has their flights priced $1000-2000 more than American. I'd next prefer Delta, but BFF doesn't agree. Delta has more Delta One installed, but from what I understand, still not complete. American meanwhile does have their 777-200 updated with 1-2-1 and one option even takes us through their Flagship Lounge at MIA. Anyone want to tell me why to stick with United?
Are you sure you were on the 772 HD? There is no 6K. The seating configuration on the 772 HD is quite similar to the three-class 772, though, which does have a seat 6K.

In any case, to BCN I assume you are looking at a routing through EWR, which does have a Polaris lounge. IAD is another option, with the 763 but no Polaris lounge. It sounds like you may prefer AA, given those choices. Depending on where you are originating, the convenience of each would vary.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:31 pm

777 layouts

Originally Posted by fumje
Are you sure you were on the 772 HD? There is no 6K. The seating configuration on the 772 HD is quite similar to the three-class 772, though, which does have a seat 6K.

In any case, to BCN I assume you are looking at a routing through EWR, which does have a Polaris lounge. IAD is another option, with the 763 but no Polaris lounge. It sounds like you may prefer AA, given those choices. Depending on where you are originating, the convenience of each would vary.
Apologies for not getting the specifics right here. Yes, I was on the old 3 class. While these seats were "fine", I see far better options in the marketplace. Yes, my plan was EWR for the Polaris lounge, but 2-3 hours in a lounge vs 8+ hrs in an inferior seat is tough to argue. There's really only one 767-300 (I didn't see any 763?) through IAD and it has a 5h44m layover. This would be a little tough WITH a Polaris Lounge, which they won't have done by our flight. Sigh.

It's not that I love American, in fact I have no miles with them! For our trip, it just looks like better seat and their MIA Flagship lounge are good options for us, even if it means a longer first leg from IND to MIA (rather than PHL). I was honestly shocked there were no ORD-BCN flights. We were hoping for a such a non-stop option being cheaper, which we would have then driven the 3 hrs to ORD. Thank for helping me keep looking for other options.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies for not getting the specifics right here. Yes, I was on the old 3 class. While these seats were "fine", I see far better options in the marketplace. Yes, my plan was EWR for the Polaris lounge, but 2-3 hours in a lounge vs 8+ hrs in an inferior seat is tough to argue. There's really only one 767-300 (I didn't see any 763?) through IAD and it has a 5h44m layover. This would be a little tough WITH a Polaris Lounge, which they won't have done by our flight. Sigh.

It's not that I love American, in fact I have no miles with them! For our trip, it just looks like better seat and their MIA Flagship lounge are good options for us, even if it means a longer first leg from IND to MIA (rather than PHL). I was honestly shocked there were no ORD-BCN flights. We were hoping for a such a non-stop option being cheaper, which we would have then driven the 3 hrs to ORD. Thank for helping me keep looking for other options.
Actually if you are looking at a 2-3hr layover in EWR, that sounds about perfect. Eat in the lounge, then sleep on the redeye to BCN. The 772 HD is pretty good for sleeping in my opinion. The only potential problem is the E145 IND-EWR, but that may be the same situation as for AA via MIA.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:46 pm

Yep

Oh I absolutely agree! However this far out United is $4000 and American is $2700. (And I have to buy in next 3 months as I’m using it to meet the minimum spending for my new Marriott credit card sign-up bonus. What a game we play, eh? At least with Marriott we will have almost enough points for an entire week stay in Kauai! And yes, even with the new point chart!)
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:24 pm

Taking this same flight # at the end of the upcoming September. I noticed United is stating it's a 777-200, the seat map looks like the attached. I could not find a matching seat map on SeatGuru. Any idea if the United map is accurate? It seems like Rows 39 and 40 on the United map only have 2 seats across. Currently booked in Row 40 A,B, K and L (party of 4, but only 3 on the reservation in the pic). I'm hoping this row is actually 2-4-2. 2 persons per side of the plane, versus 3 across like SeatGuru maps show.

Has anyone flown this plane before, is the United map accurate? and SeatGuru just doesn't have this configuration map yet?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
.... Has anyone flown this plane before, is the United map accurate? ...
This is one of two possible configurations for this 772. They have the same number of seats but there are differences in the locations of the bathrooms and certain rows having 2 or 3 seats on the outside rows. The wiki (top post) shows the two side-by-side for comparison.

There is no way to be sure which will be used for the fight until you have boarded (although what is shown 24-48 hours in advance is most likely.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is one of two possible configurations for this 772. They have the same number of seats but there are differences in the locations of the bathrooms and certain rows having 2 or 3 seats on the outside rows. The wiki (top post) shows the two side-by-side for comparison.

There is no way to be sure which will be used for the fight until you have boarded (although what is shown 24-48 hours in advance is most likely.
So, there's been reports of them changing the plane style? Would you suggest we move to Row 48 for the increased leg room?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
So, there's been reports of them changing the plane style? Would you suggest we move to Row 48 for the increased leg room?
Yes. There's a roughly 50% chance of a swap to the other frame type, and you won't know until about 60 hours before departure.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
Yes. There's a roughly 50% chance of a swap to the other frame type, and you won't know until about 60 hours before departure.
Or sometimes closer in. Have had frame subs up to T-48.

Quite annoying if you are like me and sit in the 39B/39L aisle seats and the swap puts you/keeps you in the middle seat. Gotta be quick to catch the frame change and switch to then 39C/39K to keep the aisle seat.

David
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Oh I absolutely agree! However this far out United is $4000 and American is $2700. (And I have to buy in next 3 months as I’m using it to meet the minimum spending for my new Marriott credit card sign-up bonus. What a game we play, eh? At least with Marriott we will have almost enough points for an entire week stay in Kauai! And yes, even with the new point chart!)

I just bought a ticket to BCN in a few weeks for $7k in Polaris on UA120/121 RT. Traveling with my SO who I can purchase an economy fare and and guarantee upgrade. At least we will get the 2 seats together on the side and the seats are comfortable. And I snagged 7 nights at the Little Soho House Beach Club between Barcelona and Sitges. Happy to avoid FRA or ZRH to get to Spain!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
I just bought a ticket to BCN in a few weeks for $7k in Polaris on UA120/121 RT. Traveling with my SO who I can purchase an economy fare and and guarantee upgrade. At least we will get the 2 seats together on the side and the seats are comfortable. And I snagged 7 nights at the Little Soho House Beach Club between Barcelona and Sitges. Happy to avoid FRA or ZRH to get to Spain!
Congrats on avoiding a European layover. We prioritized that as well. We did end up buying the $2700 AA fare (business out/economy return) with IND-PHL-BCN. (The kicker was my new Marriott card didn't arrive before our complimentary AA hold was going to expire. Thus, BFF put the air on her card and I'll put the cruise on mine and all will be well.) Yes, we gave up a nicer Flagship or Polaris lounge and will endure a 6hr layover, but the price and the A330-200 seats seemed like a better choice for us.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Congrats on avoiding a European layover. We prioritized that as well. We did end up buying the $2700 AA fare (business out/economy return) with IND-PHL-BCN. (The kicker was my new Marriott card didn't arrive before our complimentary AA hold was going to expire. Thus, BFF put the air on her card and I'll put the cruise on mine and all will be well.) Yes, we gave up a nicer Flagship or Polaris lounge and will endure a 6hr layover, but the price and the A330-200 seats seemed like a better choice for us.
The most important thing is to be happy with what you were able to get. I am going into this holiday with expectations in check of the flight experience so that won't disappoint. And the companion fare was $1300 and upgraded with GPU's so we are, combined, averaging out at $4k for an old but comfortable business seat and a nonstop. Pretty happy all round.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by airb330
Thanks for this! We chose 48AB ages ago for an upcoming flight, this definitely confirms they're a good pick on this 772HD.
Just reporting back that 48AB had quite a bit of legroom (similar or more than E+). The seats weren't as bad as we thought. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this seat pair to anyone on flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.