Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Today at the United MCO (Orlando) UC, they had a grilled cheese station set up.
Offering freshly made Grilled Cheese with tomato and Grilled Cheese with Pepperoni. The Pepperoni was a little salty but very good. Nice change.
Yes please!!! ^^
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
From Jetstream's news feed:

A new flavor coming to United Clubs (posted October 11, 2017)

(also added to wiki)

Overall Description / BOS / MCO / LAS / IAH

David
Attached Images      
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee

(also added to wiki)

David
What's the point of offering good food items at only 4 Clubs and only for a limited time? That's taunting every Club member who doesn't fly through those airports. And for a limited time? Really? Delta doesn't have their great food offerings at a minimal number of airports for a limited time. This just makes me angry and I generally don't get angry over silly things like this - nice going United. Glad to see my $450 going to such nonsense.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny
What's the point of offering good food items at only 4 Clubs and only for a limited time? That's taunting every Club member who doesn't fly through those airports. And for a limited time? Really? Delta doesn't have their great food offerings at a minimal number of airports for a limited time. This just makes me angry and I generally don't get angry over silly things like this - nice going United. Glad to see my $450 going to such nonsense.
I like the idea. Makes things interesting. Much better than the exact same thing at every club all the time. But most will still have at least that, which it seems like you prefer, so you should be happy most of the time.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96
I like the idea. Makes things interesting. Much better than the exact same thing at every club all the time. But most will still have at least that, which it seems like you prefer, so you should be happy most of the time.
No, I don't prefer what they currently have. It's basically soup and salad everywhere. I'd prefer some other hot dishes or ice cream or pretzels or...

So next you'll say that if I'm dissatisfied I should unjoin the Club. I belong for other reasons as well but do wish the food offerings were better. What they plan to offer for a limited time would be great if they did it everywhere all the time.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Good golly!! Have you never heard of marketing tests? This is part of a food enhancement program with customization based on location. They are testing different options. I got a survey today expressly about my IAH visit to a Club last week and the service, food and amenities.

Patience!
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Good golly!! Have you never heard of marketing tests? This is part of a food enhancement program with customization based on location. They are testing different options. I got a survey today expressly about my IAH visit to a Club last week and the service, food and amenities.

Patience!
You're more optimistic than me. They've been "testing" hot food in Chicago for awhile now and I don't see it spreading anywhere. Again, what you call "testing" I call taunting. I know I'm being harsh but it's been soup and salad for a very long time. I've lost the patience you suggest I should have.

When they opened the LAX Club that they built from scratch by adding on to the terminal I had high hopes. They were dashed with...wait for it...soup and salad.
Silver Fox and manstein58 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:57 pm

United Airlines Adds And Upgrades Lounges, Rolls Out New Local Food And Drink (by Larry Olmsted)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol.../#67f07aa137a9

"For now, United is just doing trials in four cities and won’t announce a comprehensive rollout strategy until the tests conclude, and they were a zealously passing out online comment cards in Boston when I visited (by chance)."

“'We are embarking on a journey to redesign our menus and create a world-class experience that celebrates our global network but is in tune with the regional flavors of the locations we serve,' a United marketing representative told me. This will involve customer research and employee insights to see which products resonate the most with travelers. The first phase kicked off less than three weeks ago, with a two-month trial in four locations."
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
You're more optimistic than me. They've been "testing" hot food in Chicago for awhile now and I don't see it spreading anywhere. Again, what you call "testing" I call taunting. I know I'm being harsh but it's been soup and salad for a very long time. I've lost the patience you suggest I should have.

When they opened the LAX Club that they built from scratch by adding on to the terminal I had high hopes. They were dashed with...wait for it...soup and salad.
Come on, this is CLEARLY a test .... in fact, they’re practically begging you to fill out a survey — that’s market research 101 stuff.

I really believe United could announce they were giving away free $100 bills with each ticket, and there’d be a bunch of FTers complaining about it.
Bear96 and SFO 1K like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by DELee

(also added to wiki)

David
I wish they would direct their energy at the food quality in the air first,if I do not like the UA club I dump them and they lose $450 in revenue . I avoid the poor quality they serve in flight and that costs them $70-80000 a year
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

With you on this , they implement cutbacks and follow Delta down grades at the speed of light.Any 'improvements" take forever and are essentially for bait and hope (see Polaris launch) There are many examples of benchmark clubs and menus that could be rapidly copied if they had the desire to truly improve.UA is not a product innovator at any level,the marketing pitches try and suggest otherwise to those who do not better, why not be great follower ?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Come on, this is CLEARLY a test .... in fact, they’re practically begging you to fill out a survey — that’s market research 101 stuff.

I really believe United could announce they were giving away free $100 bills with each ticket, and there’d be a bunch of FTers complaining about it.
Even if this is a test it is the actual implementation that counts. Take the example of promising that all Polaris seats will have direct aisle access in front. On 1/15/18 (more than a year after the start of Polaris) there are 3 nonstops from IAD to LHR:

A 757 with 2-2 seating
A 777 with 2-4-2 seating
A 787 with 2-2-2 seating

Where is the promised direct aisle access for all seats? Probably the same place as the great food offerings in the Clubs.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I wish they would direct their energy at the food quality in the air first
Yeah I don't get it - they're testing upgraded food at four outstation UCs, at the same time they're slashing F meal service and quality in the air. Makes no sense at all.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah I don't get it - they're testing upgraded food at four outstation UCs, at the same time they're slashing F meal service and quality in the air. Makes no sense at all.
Looks like we agree on something 😂. If United is concerned with the costs related to these items, which they are, they should be testing them at hubs, where they'll get a realistic answer to this food's popularity and demand. And looking at what's happened with the Ord "hot food experiment", I don't have my hopes up.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by zeer0
Looks like we agree on something 😂. If United is concerned with the costs related to these items, which they are, they should be testing them at hubs, where they'll get a realistic answer to this food's popularity and demand. And looking at what's happened with the Ord "hot food experiment", I don't have my hopes up.
I would point out that IAH is not exactly an outstation...However, I would make a personal note that I tend to avoid it but there's a rather larger group of MP elites that fly out of there. And, quite likely, a decent sized United Club management component located in the IAH area.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.