Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
What's the point of offering good food items at only 4 Clubs and only for a limited time? That's taunting every Club member who doesn't fly through those airports. And for a limited time? Really? Delta doesn't have their great food offerings at a minimal number of airports for a limited time. This just makes me angry and I generally don't get angry over silly things like this - nice going United. Glad to see my $450 going to such nonsense.
Here's the thing for me - is all of this clearly marked as a test ? Otherwise it could entice people to join or continue membership based on an expectation of better options. In the wayback, I joined based on what I saw at one club(loads of outlets, lots of food and beverage choices) only to find out that the United Clubs are like Animal Farm.

(and yeah, I understand market research. But then I so wish they hadn't spent all that money marketing Polaris and produced one way too small club at one airport)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny
You're more optimistic than me. They've been "testing" hot food in Chicago for awhile now and I don't see it spreading anywhere. Again, what you call "testing" I call taunting. I know I'm being harsh but it's been soup and salad for a very long time. I've lost the patience you suggest I should have.

When they opened the LAX Club that they built from scratch by adding on to the terminal I had high hopes. They were dashed with...wait for it...soup and salad.
Originally Posted by zeer0
Looks like we agree on something ��. If United is concerned with the costs related to these items, which they are, they should be testing them at hubs, where they'll get a realistic answer to this food's popularity and demand. And looking at what's happened with the Ord "hot food experiment", I don't have my hopes up.
My non-rigorously sampled experience with ORD's club is that the 'hot food experiment' resulted in expanded hours of hot food at ORD. Started as ≈ two hours in the morning and two in the evening, but seems to have turned into ≈ two hours after opening through two hours before closing.

Granted that is a small gain, but it's not nothing.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
I would point out that IAH is not exactly an outstation...
Good point. Three outstations plus IAH. Which gives us an opportunity to vent about closure of the Terminal E UC and shower shutdown at IAH . . . .
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good point. Three outstations plus IAH. Which gives us an opportunity to vent about closure of the Terminal E UC and shower shutdown at IAH . . . .

David

p.s. But that's another set of threads - this one's about food...
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
My non-rigorously sampled experience with ORD's club is that the 'hot food experiment' resulted in expanded hours of hot food at ORD. Started as ≈ two hours in the morning and two in the evening, but seems to have turned into ≈ two hours after opening through two hours before closing.

Granted that is a small gain, but it's not nothing.
But the problem is it hasn't spread anywhere beyond ORD.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
But the problem is it hasn't spread anywhere beyond ORD.
I wonder if the explanation for this lack of diffusion is connected to the delays and inertia in the Polaris lounge roll out? With all the chaos, confusion, pop-up clubs, etc., in airports that are now undergoing Polaris lounge reconstruction, management may have decided not to add another change into the mix with the UC menus.

Perhaps after Polaris arrives in SFO and EWR and IAH, we might see some diffusion of the Chicago UC menu?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder if the explanation for this lack of diffusion is connected to the delays and inertia in the Polaris lounge roll out? With all the chaos, confusion, pop-up clubs, etc., in airports that are now undergoing Polaris lounge reconstruction, management may have decided not to add another change into the mix with the UC menus.
indeed, why do anything positive for the customer?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Pre-portioned servings of a rotating menu of smaller bites is a welcome change and a reasonable compromise between the existing spread at most clubs (which is inadequate compared to DL or even AA) and the hot food program at ORD (which realistically isn't feasible everywhere).

I had occasion to sample some of the daytime offerings at IAH and was pleasantly surprised by the presentation. Quality is adequate. In fact, with a shorter connection, it was even enough to keep me from hustling over to D to the Centurion lounge for a bite to eat.

It's good to see some investment in the F&B at the clubs. Here's hoping UA upgrades the comp alcohol selection soon... one area in which they seriously lag DL.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Today at the United MCO (Orlando) UC, they had a grilled cheese station set up.
Offering freshly made Grilled Cheese with tomato and Grilled Cheese with Pepperoni. The Pepperoni was a little salty but very good. Nice change.
Flying through MCO today. They are up to three grilled cheese options:

A. Pepperoni and Provolone on White
B. Tomato, Basil, and Mozerella on White
C. American on Whole Wheat

All can be served with marinara sauce.

By default, they will serve you one half of a sandwich (which is honestly a nice size), but you can ask for more. Guy behind me ordered 2 (!!).

The server said they also serve made-to-order yogurt parfaits at breakfast and cookies and milk later in the day. The grilled cheese station is only open from 12-2:30.

He also said they are supposed to wrap up the test on 11/30.

Last edited by rflor; Nov 3, 2017 at 11:09 am Reason: Added more info.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Mco -orlando club offering.

Today at the Orlando club they had what they call "a little bit of magic". Gourmet grill chess being prepared. They had 3 types. It wasn't bad and welcome but miles away from what amex offers in their clubs.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
not pepperoni pizza but a pre-built appetizer from the IAH C1 UC from 11/02/17.

​​​​​​​David
Attached Images  
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Are you sure that wasn't something the cleaner was coming back to collect?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee
not pepperoni pizza but a pre-built appetizer from the IAH C1 UC from 11/02/17.

​​​​​​​David
That actually looks good to me (trying to cut back on starch). Looks like a pesto, not marinara?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Tomato basil soup yet again at Orange County. If I never see another pot of Tomato basil soup in my life, it will be too soon.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That actually looks good to me (trying to cut back on starch). Looks like a pesto, not marinara?
I had this and the mini crudités at IAH last week. The one pictured has pesto on the bottom, two slices of fresh mozzarella, two cherry tomatoes and two slices of commercial-quality salami. A bit of a sodium bomb but nicely presented and a solid product. I reviewed it favorably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.