Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.​
Print Wikipost

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:29 pm

We had a similar experience but maybe a separate thread is better?

Ours was a last minute trip due to death in the family. Our trouble was on last Thursday when the weather hit the east coast and the Delta plane went off the runway in LGA.
We flew IAH - CLE in F no problem. Great crew great service.
Return leg was in Y by our choice.
A few days before the return flight we upgraded the return via miles (7500+$) to F.
We were lined up in group 1 waiting to board the delayed flight. The board suddenly changed to cancelled due to crew timing out.
Of course everyone scrambles to the desk to rebook, no "group 1 first in line" effort.
We are offered hotel/meal vouchers and a flight the next day in Y.
We pressed for F but no availability, so we accepted the Y booking just to get home. (Btw, this was on my 50th birthday!)
At the hotel I got on the phone to United miles and they refunded my miles etc. so that's cool.

As mentioned above a refund could be requested for the F to Y drop.
But in our case we went from Y to F via miles, got the miles back so no loss there, but is there much point in looking at the difference in cost of the original Y fare early in the day vs the cost of the Y fare on an evening flight?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PhilnLiz
but is there much point in looking at the difference in cost of the original Y fare early in the day vs the cost of the Y fare on an evening flight?
Nope.

But check your credit card to make sure you got your upgrade copay refunded too.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Nope.

But check your credit card to make sure you got your upgrade copay refunded too.
Ok cool. Thank you.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Did they fly a spare down? There were 11 upgrades on 1760, but only four open seats in Y, at least according to the seat map.
No, it was operated by N37471 which spent 6 hours in RSW (1hr scheduled turn plus 5hr delay).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Now, if you are booked in F on flight 1 and are reaccommodated in Y on flight 2, do you receive the difference between F in 1 and Y in 1 or F in 1 and Y in 2?

Also, it would really be nice to know how much you will be refunded before you accept the offer.

I remember when we flew NRT SFO EWR in J, our SFO EWR flight was several hours late which meant we would miss the last Amtrak train of the night to Wilmington DE. They offered us Y on a flight to PHL, but just as the OP experienced, they couldn't tell us how much of a refund we would receive and would have to call up and request an unknown amount.

Being that we paid just over $2,000 each for a J round trip EWR-NRT, I suspected we would get next to nothing, if anything at all. Given that the two Y seats were in Y-, last row of the plane, both center seats, we ended up sticking with our original flight to EWR and made other arrangements to get home.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
3/11 UAL631 LAX-HNL canceled for mx (772)

return flight UA534 also canceled for the lack of inbound aircraft
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Help: Rolling delays cause misconnect at ORD, forced overnight

Booked FWA-ORD-BDL with my miles for my brother. The inbound UX a/c went mx, so there's a 95% chance he'll miss the AA flight that he was initially rebooked on. The AA flight was the last chance to get to BDL (or PVD) tonight, even through IAD/EWR.

Since it's a mechanical delay, UA has to put him in a hotel in Chicago, correct? We'd rather do that than have him fly into BOS tonight. Returning to FWA tonight isn't ideal either since he lives 90 minutes from that airport. I feel like I should know much more about this, but I avoid UX and have generally fantastic luck avoiding IRROPS.

TIA!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure of schedules, but ALB, SWF, HPN are also decent alternatives to BDL proper, unless he is headed east from BDL, in which case yes BOS and PVD are much better.

US Airways used to have a late night flight from PHL to HVN which would be another option.

there's an 8:50pm UA departure from ORD to ALB with seats available.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
not sure of schedules, but ALB, SWF, HPN are also decent alternatives to BDL proper, unless he is headed east from BDL, in which case yes BOS and PVD are much better.

US Airways used to have a late night flight from PHL to HVN which would be another option.

there's an 8:50pm UA departure from ORD to ALB with seats available.
Thanks for the reply. I'm picking him up and am in mystic, but the HVN flight unfortunately isn't late enough for him to make.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
Thanks for the reply. I'm picking him up and am in mystic, but the HVN flight unfortunately isn't late enough for him to make.
in either case he should be able to get a voucher for a hotel if he misconnects. tell him to take a screenshot on the web or on his phone of the cause of the delay being MX/late inbound aircraft (screenshot both the inbound and the outbound flights) so that if there are other delays (wx/atc) after the fact, he has evidence that the root delay cause was mx of the inbound aircraft.

he may have to play hardball with the customer service desk in ORD but they are obliged to help him out. tell him to ask for a supervisor if the front line agent is resistant.

he should also get meal vouchers. he might as well ask for an ecert too, the worst they can tell him is no.

all of this should be requested at ORD after he has already missed his flight.

others will have to comment if AA or UA is now liable for him since he has presumably been already rebooked once on AA. i'm not sure if AA or UA "own" the ticket at this stage.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:24 pm

just to update, hotel voucher for the ORD hyatt and $21 in meal vouchers. no e-cert. although he 'inherits' my status since it was booked with my miles, he's a general member so i'm not too disappointed in his negotiation.

UA gave all this to him, not AA. thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1M, AA EXP
Another great day for the LAX/HNL route - 641, the morning 777 flight cancelled now for the second day in a row (bet today's was yesterday's equipment and they still can't get the bird to fly). They added a 2000 series flight yesterday (only a 757), and 2 more today (1 being a 787 interestingly).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Another great day in sunny 70 degree Denver. DEN-SFO delayed due to delayed inbound from LAX (operational reasons LOL). Must be oversold in F as GA was offering F pax $200 to sit in Y.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by kranabargar
Another great day for the LAX/HNL route - 641, the morning 777 flight cancelled now for the second day in a row (bet today's was yesterday's equipment and they still can't get the bird to fly). They added a 2000 series flight yesterday (only a 757), and 2 more today (1 being a 787 interestingly).
I saw the 787 on flightaware. I was wondering why it was going to HNL.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Significant delays today for SFO ps flights (to JFK) -- due runway/taxi construction and some wind ==> ATC delays. LGA also has delays due to wind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.