Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.​
Print Wikipost

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
That delayed 1020 EWR-mci-SFO flight also led to a delay in SFO-LAX, causing 6 or so of us to miss -- because UA allowed it depart several minutes EARLY, despite knowing we were connecting -- the LAX-MEL flight. UA shouldn't be using aircraft that can't make the mission (eg, EWR-SFO in the winter).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Last week I did quite the mileagerun:
SVG-FRA-IAD-ORD-DEN-HNL-SFO-EWR-PBI-EWR-LAX-HNL-ORD-IAD-FRA-SVG.
Would you believe it that I got on every single flight! With all the big delays and cancellations out there, it seems karma was on my side
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
Last week I did quite the mileagerun:
SVG-FRA-IAD-ORD-DEN-HNL-SFO-EWR-PBI-EWR-LAX-HNL-ORD-IAD-FRA-SVG.
Would you believe it that I got on every single flight! With all the big delays and cancellations out there, it seems karma was on my side
It would have been really nice to have a missed connection and then to get routed to your final (home).... Then call in (as I did a couple times) to MP to receive ORC for the entire itinerary. I know its cheating a bit... But it saved my life on a necessary run to make 1K a few years back.

That is an impressive itinerary, BTW.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm on AUS-IAH-DFW in the early morning tomorrow (3/5). My meeting in Dallas has already been canceled because of the potential for sleet, snow, and/or ice and rescheduled for later this month. Is there benefit of waiting to cancel the flight in hopes United does it for me due to weather or should I go ahead and change the flight now to the new travel date? (Just trying to save my company some money on change fees if possible)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by JaysonW
I'm on AUS-IAH-DFW in the early morning tomorrow (3/5). My meeting in Dallas has already been canceled because of the potential for sleet, snow, and/or ice and rescheduled for later this month. Is there benefit of waiting to cancel the flight in hopes United does it for me due to weather or should I go ahead and change the flight now to the new travel date? (Just trying to save my company some money on change fees if possible)
if the flight is canceled or significantly delayed you can declare trip in vain and get a refund or possibly have the ticket reissued with no change fees. it's definitely worth waiting awhile.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:52 pm

Definitely, you have two options:

1) Watch for an exception policy to be declared in AUS/IAH/DFW (any one of them will do). This will allow you to change the entire PNR without a change fee (but you must make the change before your scheduled departure).
2) Watch for your outbound flight to be significantly delayed and request a refund for the full itinerary under trip-in-vain rules.

1) is more predictable and definitely easier to do (can be done online, etc.) but you need to have upcoming travel in mind (and be able to pay any extra fare through ua.com). 2) is less predictable, but since it can result in a refund to the original payment method it is still an attractive option for some.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the quick replies PV_Premier and wto605.
I've held off checking in via the app, should I go ahead and do this or will it only complicate things?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks for the quick replies PV_Premier and wto605.
I've held off checking in via the app, should I go ahead and do this or will it only complicate things?
Hold off for as long as possible, because it can complicate things if a waiver/exception is issued and you try to capitalize on it without calling in (eg, using change flights link on .bomb).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:21 am

What a joke, United never posted an exception policy for my flight, so I paid $200 to change the flight to one later in the year. Meanwhile we have ice on our roads in both AUS and in DFW, that flight was never going to takeoff on time or at all.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
What a joke, United never posted an exception policy for my flight, so I paid $200 to change the flight to one later in the year. Meanwhile we have ice on our roads in both AUS and in DFW, that flight was never going to takeoff on time or at all.
This is one reason I am booking flexible (domestic) or fully refundable (int'l) tickets these days. Change fees and close-in changes have cost me so much $$ in the last year that I often paid more for tickets before making this choice... not to mention, they stayed non-refundable even though they changed into the same incredibly expensive fare classes. Now, refundable only.... period. Any situation requiring a change or cxl = free change and/or full refund if desired.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Looks like the 5:30AM or 6AM AUS with 7:52 to DFW - arrived on time
The 6:46AM had MX problems but not WX issues
The 8:27AM AUS with 10:53 AM to DFW - arrived on time
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
UA 357 SEA-LAX on 3/5. Why such a delay?

The inbound seems to be delayed, but not by much. Yet the outbound is delayed from 650 to 805.

Is there an aircraft swap that is not mapped out?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
looks like there is another UA357 IAD-SEA suppose to land 7:45pm(4.5hrs late though)
avoid having two planes with same call sign?

if that's the case, why don't they do "A change in flight number is necessary, ask united rep for additional info" type cancellation?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Could be a known delay with the SEA-LAX flight crew, if they're coming in on a different flight...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Juventini
looks like there is another UA357 IAD-SEA suppose to land 7:45pm(4.5hrs late though)
avoid having two planes with same call sign?

if that's the case, why don't they do "A change in flight number is necessary, ask united rep for additional info" type cancellation?
They wouldn't need to change the fight number, except for ATC purposes, where it would likely get a letter tacked on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.