Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2014 thread - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

2016 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735773-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2016-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Went mechanical somewhere over the pacific, rudder issues. Diverted to NRT, already on backup plane. Typical 3 ring United circus. Will post more details later.
judging from the flight track it seems like they might have made the diversion decision over the Aleutians. Interesting that they continued on to NRT versus heading back to Alaska, but maybe it was closer and easier to NRT than ANC, since presumably they would not put a 747 down in Cold Bay or King Salmon except for a significant emergency. still, i would not want to be on a plane with "rudder issues" over the northwest Pacific for several hours
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
judging from the flight track it seems like they might have made the diversion decision over the Aleutians. Interesting that they continued on to NRT versus heading back to Alaska, but maybe it was closer and easier to NRT than ANC, since presumably they would not put a 747 down in Cold Bay or King Salmon except for a significant emergency. still, i would not want to be on a plane with "rudder issues" over the northwest Pacific for several hours
+1 Is this one of the 747s scheduled for early retirement in 2016 to avoid another D check?

Sounds like it's going to need more hangar time until then.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
Yet aircraft 8405 flew back as UA 838 NRT-SFO 9 minutes late today. Whatever issues it had seems they resolved it (at least for this flight) in the 2 hours on the ground while it was at NRT.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
i would not want to be on a plane with "rudder issues" over the northwest Pacific for several hours
Yeah anytime I hear "rudder issues" I think AS261.

Originally Posted by transportprof
+1 Is this one of the 747s scheduled for early retirement in 2016 to avoid another D check?
Scheduled to become Charter next month (September 2015).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kr777
Yet aircraft 8405 flew back as UA 838 NRT-SFO 9 minutes late today. Whatever issues it had seems they resolved it (at least for this flight) in the 2 hours on the ground while it was at NRT.
I guess the duct tape and/or WD40 worked!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA585
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by transportprof
I guess the duct tape and/or WD40 worked!
Or the fact that the folks at NRT are some of the best UA has - without any axes to grind or desires to delay things just because they can....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Or the fact that the folks at NRT are some of the best UA has - without any axes to grind or desires to delay things just because they can....
True, plus they have a lot of experience on the 47 and may have known within seconds the fix once the details were reported.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
closing the loop on 893 from 8/24

a few other details and highlights:

- before we even left the gate, we had a 2+ hour delay due to radio #2 problems. At one point, there we're 6 UA mechanics upstairs - the frustration level mounting with them. I felt bad, given the doors we're shut before the problem was found. Nevertheless, they hustled and did their best to fix.

- the diversion was not communicated until ~ 1 hour prior to NRT landing. The flight map showed the change much earlier. The purser went around personally on the downstairs BF cabin to explain there was an issue. The captain came on soon thereafter and explained of a rudder issue and wanting to land at NRT.

- the transition to the new plane was near flawless at NRT, with the lone exception being confusion re: whether we were staying on the original plane. Onboard crew thought we were sticking put and troubleshooting, and NRT ground crew came in and blew that up - resulting in slow deboard, and not getting breakfast.

- right before pushing back for ICN, the captain came on an explained the issue - there a hydraulic boost system for the rudder which is neededfor high crosswind landings and situations. He didn't feel comfortable landing in ICN, which was very windy yesterday.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why? AS261 was an elevator problem not a rudder problem.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Why? AS261 was an elevator problem not a rudder problem.
Maybe thinking of all the 737 rudder incidents in the early 90's including UA 585 crash in Colorado killing 25 in 1991?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Imstevek
a few other details and highlights:

- before we even left the gate, we had a 2+ hour delay due to radio #2 problems. At one point, there we're 6 UA mechanics upstairs - the frustration level mounting with them. I felt bad, given the doors we're shut before the problem was found. Nevertheless, they hustled and did their best to fix.

- the diversion was not communicated until ~ 1 hour prior to NRT landing. The flight map showed the change much earlier. The purser went around personally on the downstairs BF cabin to explain there was an issue. The captain came on soon thereafter and explained of a rudder issue and wanting to land at NRT.

- the transition to the new plane was near flawless at NRT, with the lone exception being confusion re: whether we were staying on the original plane. Onboard crew thought we were sticking put and troubleshooting, and NRT ground crew came in and blew that up - resulting in slow deboard, and not getting breakfast.

- right before pushing back for ICN, the captain came on an explained the issue - there a hydraulic boost system for the rudder which is neededfor high crosswind landings and situations. He didn't feel comfortable landing in ICN, which was very windy yesterday.
thanks for this update. it sounds like UA handled this one pretty well for a change, w/ the exception of the original Mx on departure from SFO.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
thanks for this update. it sounds like UA handled this one pretty well for a change, w/ the exception of the original Mx on departure from SFO.
I would say NRT handled it well - wish the rest of UA was so good
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
UA154 island hopper westbound from HNL cancelled Monday 8/24 due to aircraft maintenance.

UA154 for tomorrow 8/26: Drumroll please........ Cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.

United Airlines seems content to be single-handedly tanking Boeing's 737NG dispatch rate. I have taken over 1500 Southwest 737 flights with ZERO cancellations. Only two equipment delays-- (both of which were due to lightning strike checklists).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by expert7700
UA154 island hopper westbound from HNL cancelled Monday 8/24 due to aircraft maintenance.

UA154 for tomorrow 8/26: Drumroll please........ Cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.

United Airlines seems content to be single-handedly tanking Boeing's 737NG dispatch rate. I have taken over 1500 Southwest 737 flights with ZERO cancellations. Only two equipment delays-- (both of which were due to lightning strike checklists).
Someone should get President Obama to declare a transportation disaster. The FSM and the RMI are still eligible for FEMA assistance, per COFA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.