Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2014 thread - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

2016 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735773-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2016-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by TomMM
They deplane and do what? Rebook on another UA flight the following day? Look for a flight on another airline?
Most likely connections to places in Africa or Central Asia with a handful of flights per week. At this point, especially in C or F, best option is to get off plane and figure out who can get you there as money isn't an issue...and it's probably through LHR, CDG or some other convoluted routing that's better to do stateside then late in the afternoon in FRA when it's too late to get to the only other airport with a flight option

The last time I took UA to FRA from ORD (now only go on LH) there were about 5 pax in the B lounge working the side by side UA and LHR agents as the rolling UA delay meant they were going to miss THE once or twice a week flight to places like Malabo, Douala and a few others. they were well versed in their options. I imagine a flight from IAH has more than a few people going to remote corners of the world that would be screwed if a delay to FRA gets out of control (unfortunately...an odds on probability when UA is involved).

While I was going to a place with multiple daily options, the hot stove lesson I learned in FRA and not being assertive at ORD is they may share revenue but won't take responsibility for your missed connection in FRA...as they point fingers at each other...hence why I only fly there on LH metal now.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm having trouble with the math.

Boarding delayed 45. You aren't in plane during that time.

On plane 45, then another 30. That's an hour and fifteen trapped in the tube. 2 hours in all behind schedule.

Here is the extra 45 minutes in the tube and one hour delay from?
I've slept since then, but:

Original departure sched for 19:10

Started boarding approx 20:00.

Luggage finally loaded 20:45.

Announcement about F pax: 21:15.

Baggage from F pax removed: 21:35

Taxi time 15-20 mins

ATC delay, finally cleared around 22:00-22:10.

Sorry, was pretty tired when I wrote the first post and neglected the delays on the apron.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by cfischer
huh? Flight is 1h30 late due to UA messing up once again and pax knowing they will miss their connections request to deplane? That's o.k. IMO; I would do the same if I knew I would miss a connection w/o another flight in a few hours.
You'd screw over several hundred other pax?

Hey, they can sure get off the plane, can't hold 'em hostage, but that's a {lousy} move. I hope they had to pay.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2015 at 1:57 am Reason: language
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike1968
Most likely connections to places in Africa or Central Asia with a handful of flights per week. At this point, especially in C or F, best option is to get off plane and figure out who can get you there as money isn't an issue...and it's probably through LHR, CDG or some other convoluted routing that's better to do stateside then late in the afternoon in FRA when it's too late to get to the only other airport with a flight option
That's a reasonable explanation but I question a person's judgement who books a tight connection for a flight that only goes a few times a week. If that's what happened here, I agree with Doc.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by TomMM
That's a reasonable explanation but I question a person's judgement who books a tight connection for a flight that only goes a few times a week. If that's what happened here, I agree with Doc.
Going beyond the scope of the thread, but sometimes it happens that you have to book a tight connection due to meetings on both sides - been there, done that, have always gotten lucky (knock on wood). It's not a matter of judgment, it's just trying to manage conflicting things that are often not within your control.

Most of the meetings to which I travel were not scheduled by me, and I have limited influence over their scheduling.

Greg
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another divert to Gander

Hopefully they handled this better than the one a few months ago...

UA162, Glasgow to Newark diverted to Gander due to a cracked windscreen.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...900Z/EGPF/KEWR

~9 hours on the ground and now back in the air to Newark and "Estimated to Arrive 10 Hours 40 Minutes Late"
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Hopefully they handled this better than the one a few months ago...

UA162, Glasgow to Newark diverted to Gander due to a cracked windscreen.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...900Z/EGPF/KEWR

~9 hours on the ground and now back in the air to Newark and "Estimated to Arrive 10 Hours 40 Minutes Late"
I wonder if they spin a roulette wheel to decide what to categorize the delay reasoning as when things like this occur. This one got a "delayed due to late aircraft arrival." I was guessing it would get a "delayed due to operational difficulties."
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by rolltribe
I wonder if they spin a roulette wheel to decide what to categorize the delay reasoning as when things like this occur. This one got a "delayed due to late aircraft arrival." I was guessing it would get a "delayed due to operational difficulties."
They did an aircraft swap in YQX.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:02 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
United 863 SFO-SYD diverted to HNL last night /this morning. Anyone have any additional details?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 53 1/2/16 ZRH-IAD, ETD 4h55 late, due to waiting for the arrival of a late inbound crew.

This is the first flight ZRH-IAD after the Christmas brake. Wondering, where this crew is flying in from?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
It is time to close this thread. Hope that the 2016 thread will be less than 100 pages in length at this time next year (193 pages for 2015). Happy travels, especially, the long hauls.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
6528 lax to phx now. Delayed initially because we were waiting for one more flight attendant. She finally arrives, walks down the jetway, then pops back up. "There's no one on board" she says.

How can UA {mess up} this bad? The gate agent gets on the horn to tell us "sorry folks, we are waiting for the rest of the crew to drive in. They should be here within the hour"

I just flew 935 for 10.5 hours and it came in 30 minutes early. UA can't get me remotely on time the final 348 miles?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 2016 at 6:18 pm Reason: language
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
United 863 SFO-SYD diverted to HNL last night /this morning. Anyone have any additional details?
Looks like there was smoke (and possibly a small fire) on board

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...due-smoke.html
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
12/27 IAH-SLP flight 4229 delayed 2 hours 10 minutes due to wind , though the wind was just as bad when we left then during the delay

12/31 MEX-IAH flight 1029 delayed 1 hour 29 minutes due to who knows what. Thankfully made it before the new year hit.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:38 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please note this is the 2015 thread. The thread for 2016 is here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2016-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.