Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA cancel flights to protect on-time performance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:21 am
Original Poster

I was booked on UA # 1292 on 1/1/16 from LIH to LAX and before flight time, they canceled the flight as the inbound flight was delayed and I understand there would be a crew issue for our flight. They rebooked all of us on UA #2100 which departs tomorrow and was just added to the schedule and the equipment is the same as the flight that was canceled. Just wondering if there is a benefit to on time performance stats by United canceling instead of just delaying the original flight.

Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:03 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I do not think UA would do this. Your flight shows it was cancelled for "Operational Difficulties". You said there was a "Crew issue". Sounds like your crew may have been the same one that came on the delayed flight from LAX and may have "timed out". I hope UA took care of your overnight needs.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Sure - it means the on-time stay doesn't take a hit, but the cancel percentage goes up for sure. Not sure there is a real benefit to the airline to do 1 vs. the other.

Have no idea the criteria UA uses to add a significant delay vs. canceling and creating a new flight. However, you mention the new flight is tomorrow - where the flight number for that day's flight is likely the same as your flight. So one factor might be to avoid confusion of running the same flight number on the same day - particularly for ATC depending on how close together they are going to be departing.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:33 am

Often computer systems will not be able to handle two flights with the same number departing the same airport in the same day. So, if your flight number also exists today, they'd probably cancel and create a new flight number to avoid both the computer limitations as well as the possible confusion of passengers being sure of which flight number applies to them.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
one factor might be to avoid confusion of running the same flight number on the same day - particularly for ATC depending on how close together they are going to be departing.
ATC wouldn't be an issue, as they would just use a call sign different from the public flight number. That happens all the time.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
ATC just adds a phonetic letter to the end of the call sign if there are two with the same # airborne at the same time.

Had this on SEA-NRT a while back; ours went MX until the next morning, leaving about an hour before the scheduled one. IIRC, they stuck "tango" on the call sign (e.g. UA 802 Tango Heavy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.