Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:26 pm

wow. making it increasingly harder to get status, and constantly chipping away at benefits.

Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cubachao
Haven't fly UA at all this year. UA used be my first choice, now AA has all my business now. And I keep telling my friend to move away from UA!!!
Many here have switched to an airline that works best for them. These changes are fairly minor - COPA and GE fee. UA is doing what they think is best for UA. I don't have a crystal ball, but I disagree with what UA is doing - mostly in the $ based RDM. And all this started with UA's desire (actually started at CO) to get more revenue for the forward cabin with TODs. Not clear how this is panning out - will take a long time to assess.

Times change, and people change, and react to what works best for them.

For me at this point in time AA works best for me. Mainline jets to frequent destinations (that UA flies RJs), better service, better new international products, better FF program, better upgrade rate (for me 92.5% this year including transcons). If AA/US switch and copy UA/DL then I will likely just move back to UA and sort of forget about FF miles (since I am already locked in with status).

UA management is making decisions, whether one agrees or disagrees. Just don't take it out on the many wonderful front line people at UA who are just doing the job they are directed to do.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mferrari24
I understand that the Copa changes could reduce the number of elites, but the other changes just reduce benefits. I don't see any positives in that.
Less free benefits mean more money to get the same stuff that you used to get for free.
At least UA did not say these are enhancements or alignment of benefits; they call it changes which is exactly what it is.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cova
Many here have switched to an airline that works best for them. These changes are fairly minor - COPA and GE fee. UA is doing what they think is best for UA. I don't have a crystal ball, but I disagree with what UA is doing - mostly in the $ based RDM. And all this started with UA's desire (actually started at CO) to get more revenue for the forward cabin with TODs. Not clear how this is panning out - will take a long time to assess.

Times change, and people change, and react to what works best for them.

For me at this point in time AA works best for me. Mainline jets to frequent destinations (that UA flies RJs), better service, better new international products, better FF program, better upgrade rate (for me 92.5% this year including transcons). If AA/US switch and copy UA/DL then I will likely just move back to UA and sort of forget about FF miles (since I am already locked in with status).

UA management is making decisions, whether one agrees or disagrees. Just don't take it out on the many wonderful front line people at UA who are just doing the job they are directed to do.
Bolding mine: Sorry to be (as my late grandmother would say) a pill , but you left one out and depending on who you talk to, the change is either minor or (in my Boston accent) majah

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rades-p-s.html
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's the miles from the 1K account that carry the benefit, not the identity of the beneficiary.
I'm not new to the program. I know exactly how it's been set up, and I have always objected to it. I'm very glad that it's being taken away.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Nov 20, 2014 at 9:53 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The status on awards. I don't think it's right that a 1Ks entire family and circle of friends gets higher priority than a Platinum or Gold.
What priority? Group 1 boarding? Plats had that. Has a gold ever been forced to check a bag because a kettle on a 1K award ticket boarded first?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Bummed about inherited status going away. Was very helpful for my little ol' mother on her 1-2 flights per year.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cubachao
But at least it has stopovers and open jars on award tickets....... we should cheer for this benefit since neither AA nor DL has this benefit on award tickets.....

Good Job United
Both AA and DL DO have open jaws on award tickets...since you can do one ways on both airlines, any pair of one ways can thus be an open jaw.

The stopover is still a great & somewhat differentiating benefit, which is why of course UA will axe it in the next round of benefit cuts, probably for the 2016 program year.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I actually had just booked a last second flight with (saver) miles for my mother to fly back to PEK for a death in the family. We used my miles so that she could make changes for free since she was unsure if she would need to change. As a bonus she was able to visit the UA lounge and Air China Lounge. (She was quite impressed with one of them)

Glad it happened this year I guess
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, AA CK
base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges
The mile amount will be calculated only on base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges. On a $1000.00 ticket how much is taxes and other fees that will not count toward miles?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pgrin
base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges
The mile amount will be calculated only on base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges. On a $1000.00 ticket how much is taxes and other fees that will not count toward miles?
Depends on the destination. Some destinations like LHR will have $200+ of tax in Y. Some others will only have $50.

Basically look up the fare on ITA - add base fare + YQ + YR
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Post 2/1/15 Million Miler bag benefits? Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stephenbgarvan
Post 2/1/15 Million Miler bag benefits? Thanks
Based just on status, no grandfathering -- that has been UA's position. 1MMers get Gold benefits (whatever those are at the moment -- so can change) unless member as higher earned status.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thumbs down Add me to the list of Kayakers

Originally Posted by TimInSF
Truly disappointing that the MP program gets less and less attractive and the benefits continue to get reduced at the same time the qualifications get increased and the onboard experience continues to deteriorate. At some point even loyal UA flyers like myself are going to start walking away. I am a 10+ year 1K with 1.5 million miles who has been flying United since I was a kid, but at a certain point, enough is enough.

It is looking more and more like 2015 might be the year that I walk away . . .

Tim
Same here.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I can see the boot print on my rear

As UAL kicks me out the door.

2001: gold
2002: 1K
2003: 1K
2004: 1K
2005: GS
2005: GS
2006: GS
2007: GS
2008: GS
2009: GS
2010: GS
2011: GS
2012: 1K
2013: 1K
2014: 1K

Any reason to prioritize United over other carriers has now been eliminated.

The past couple of years, I've moved travel away from UAL based primarily on uncompetitive price and uncompetitive service. But I always had a little bit of loyalty. I liked my status. But this past year, my status has been meaningless in IROPS and more. My Q1 2015 travel is 80% booked. In the past, I would have made an effort to book on united - even rationalized the price premium. no more. There is not a single united flight in my 10K+ Q1 spend.

Loyalty only works when it is two way. it's all about value now.

Show me a quality product at a good price and I'll buy. My days of picking flights based on loyalty and status are over. I'll happy fly united - on routes when they are the cheapest with the best product.

Last edited by SD_Flyer; Nov 22, 2014 at 1:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.