Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTP

Did anyone else notice this "enhancement"? Small little footnote at the bottom of this page:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

"As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus will no longer provide a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee. Eligible members may continue to request a payment code until January 31, 2015."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2014 at 5:18 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Not a great surprise and I would guess that few will miss it for the next 7 or 8 years.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Gold members also lose a checked bag domestically.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mier-gold.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2014 at 5:19 am Reason: added link to other thread
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not a great surprise and I would guess that few will miss it for the next 7 or 8 years.
Were you thinking GE is good for 10 (rather than 5) years?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yeah, mine's 5 years. Well, they seem to round up to your birthday. so I got it for about 5.9 years. It's a little surprising they would cut that. of all the plat/1k/gs's, how many actually know about that benefit and use it? It can't be THAT much savings compared to some of the other cuts they've been making

I wonder what they are taking away next? 1k statement credit? maybe rpu/gpus (but they've effectively already done that by cutting R availability)
I guess they are really trying to cut the ranks of 1K and plat by making it harder to get and making the benefits closer to gold.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy
elimination of the Global entry payment code benefit.
Just in time for my renewal!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I give them credit for at least marking the downgrades so we can identify them, rather than just sneaking them in. Hopefully they've turned a corner and will start being more honest about changes going forward.

Can someone explain the Global Entry change? I haven't used it as I had just gotten it before the program started. Does this mean they're not paying for it any more or they're changing how its reimbursed?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Just in time for my renewal!
This year will be my first year hitting plat, and I anticipate that in the next 2 weeks. Will I still be able to request the payment code since I will have qualified in 2014? Thanks in advance...

ETA: It seems like it wouldn't be an issue renewing for someone who already has it, but I just want to confirm I will be ok getting it as a first time user.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JBord
Can someone explain the Global Entry change? I haven't used it as I had just gotten it before the program started. Does this mean they're not paying for it any more or they're changing how its reimbursed?
They are n longer going to be paying for it.
As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus will no longer provide a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee. Eligible members may continue to request a payment code until January 31, 2015.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They are n longer going to be paying for it.
Thanks. I was hoping that wasn't the case of course. This benefit is worth more to me than all of the F meals I refuse to eat combined. Doing business with UA just increased by $20/year so I hope they spend at least $1 of that on something good for customers rather than continually taking away.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Wonder how early I can renew mine - I think it expires Oct 2015. But I have to renew my passport first. Crap. Time to get moving on that.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Wonder how early I can renew mine - I think it expires Oct 2015. But I have to renew my passport first. Crap. Time to get moving on that.
It has been a couple of years, but I seem to remember that if you get a new passport you have to renew GE anyways.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
This year will be my first year hitting plat, and I anticipate that in the next 2 weeks. Will I still be able to request the payment code since I will have qualified in 2014? Thanks in advance...

ETA: It seems like it wouldn't be an issue renewing for someone who already has it, but I just want to confirm I will be ok getting it as a first time user.
likewise - I'm going to hit plat in 3 weeks and was planning on applying for that immediately. seems like it should work? but with UA IT who knows...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
It has been a couple of years, but I seem to remember that if you get a new passport you have to renew GE anyways.
Yes. When you get your new passport (with a new passport number), just walk into any GE office. The GE folks will then type your new numbers/info into their system. No GE appointment is necessary to do this.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
Yes. When you get your new passport (with a new passport number), just walk into any GE office. The GE folks will then type your new numbers/info into their system. No GE appointment is necessary to do this.
And no payment.

You can usually do it online now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.