Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Co-Pay Required for All Mileage-Supported Upgrades on p.s.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 MileagePlus Change - Co-Pay Required for All Mileage-Supported Upgrades on p.s.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

...MileagePlus is making updates to some Premier benefits for the 2015 Premier program, which will be communicated to members later today. To learn more, please visit united.com/premier.

-UA Insider
Just glanced thru. Biggest changes:

1. No co-pay waiver for PS upgrades for Premier Members. - not great but not as bad as DL. So hopefully it will make upgrade space easier on those routes??

2. Award travel will no longer carry the status of the person whose miles where used, instead status of person actually traveling. (I think this is a good thing).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:46 am Reason: new thread for p.s. change
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
didn't see the PS upgrade change, as it wasn't "highlighted".

thanks United, for sneaking these in, glad you have our backs!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF1K

1. No co-pay waiver for PS upgrades for Premier Members. - not great but not as bad as DL. So hopefully it will make upgrade space easier on those routes??
It affects exactly two routes in a system with hundreds (if not thousands) of city pairs. How does this qualify as a "biggest" change?

The Copa announcement raises an interesting question. Suppose I like Copa's FF program (when the details are announced next March) rules and benefits more than MP? Can I "switch" my status (and accumulated miles) to Copa?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
2015 MileagePlus Program and Copa Relationship Update

I do PS upgrades all the time. As a 1K, what is the change?, they will now charge a fee along with the instruments (miles, certs) to upgrade ?. If the fee is anything significant, this would be the final nail for me as upgrading those PS is a huge part of what my business is with UA.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just added a wiki to track all the changes.

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I do PS upgrades all the time. As a 1K, what is the change?, they will now charge a fee along with the instruments (miles, certs) to upgrade ?. If the fee is anything significant, this would be the final nail for me as upgrading those PS is a huge part of what my business is with UA.
Depending on the fare, it can be quite significant:

Y/B $0
M/E/U $75
H/Q $125
V $175
W $225
S/T/K/L/G/N $250
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
it says mileage upgrade for ps, so i would presume copay does not apply to rpu/gpu upgrade
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
The copay on PS flights will dramatically reduce the use of MP miles for upgrades and lead to some empty seats upfront.

It becomes more cost effective for elites just to just buy $1K one way BF seats. A one way K fare of $200, plus a $250 copay, plus $400 (the approx value of 20k miles) and you are at $850 for an unconfirmed seat. Plus, by buying the BF seat at $1k versus an economy seat for $200, you get another 8,800 miles under the new earning scheme (11x).

Will also reduce all the 1K's who use their miles for family members to upgrade.

All those critics who say UA can't come up with an original idea, looks like they proved you wrong. Can't believe they couldn't come up with an exception for GS and 1Ks.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by dkc715
The copay on PS flights will dramatically reduce the use of MP miles for upgrades and lead to some empty seats upfront.

It becomes more cost effective for elites just to just buy $1K one way BF seats. A one way K fare of $200, plus a $250 copay, plus $400 (the approx value of 20k miles) and you are at $850 for an unconfirmed seat. Plus, by buying the BF seat at $1k versus an economy seat for $200, you get another 8,800 miles under the new earning scheme (11x).

Will also reduce all the 1K's who use their miles for family members to upgrade.

All those critics who say UA can't come up with an original idea, looks like they proved you wrong. Can't believe they couldn't come up with an exception for GS and 1Ks.
While the extra RDM helps some folks, I believe most of us are waiting for a big increase on redemption costs which will nullify any possible gain
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Depending on the fare, it can be quite significant:

Y/B $0
M/E/U $75
H/Q $125
V $175
W $225
S/T/K/L/G/N $250
With a $250 co-pay, it would be wiser in some scenarios to take off your MileagePlus number and wait to get offered a TOD at $299 which is rampant right now.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dkc715
Agreed. Not just p.s. co-pay, but basically any upgrade co-pay. The co-pay (a "fee") should be tiered by status and waived for top-tier(s).

so pay a p.s. on K fare, something like $250 for general member, $200 silver, $150 gold, $100 platinum, $0 1K/GS
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:54 am

Besides, If I wanted to buy a big seat on the coast to coast flights, I'd pay $599 and do it on Jetblue which offers a significantly better premium product on the route. Being able to redeem miles and upgrade is the only benefit that matter to many. United Airlines trails in most departments compared to the competition, so if I am going to have to pay full price for the products (as opposed to benefiting from my status), then I will pay my money to the one that offers me a good product. United Airlines loses that money more or less every time.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

2. Award travel will no longer carry the status of the person whose miles where used, instead status of person actually traveling. (I think this is a good thing).
1. Ugh but not unexpected. everything else about this route is international and frankly make sense to improve the product. but still ugh. Going to thin out people like me for sure so I guess makes sense.

2. This one actually bothers me if I'm going out of the way to buy a ticket for a family member or close friend with my miles I am getting them the whole experience, including the luggage, seating, etc. Big from me on this one.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fjfv19
With a $250 co-pay, it would be wiser in some scenarios to take off your MileagePlus number and wait to get offered a TOD at $299 which is rampant right now.
Or fly the B6 Mint product for $599 all in.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No co-pay waiver for PS upgrades for Premier Members. - not great but not as bad as DL. So hopefully it will make upgrade space easier on those routes??
No it will simply make more seats available for UA to sell at check-in for $200-300. Which is the approximate value of the mileage upgrade in the first place, without a co-pay. The mileage upgrade has now officially been converted to a total and complete rip-off.

This is a horrible change.

Originally Posted by kale73
It affects exactly two routes in a system with hundreds (if not thousands) of city pairs. How does this qualify as a "biggest" change?
t-cons into JFK are the most important domestic routes for all three legacies and for many of their most elite customers (and many of the members of this forum, as well).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qisu
it says mileage upgrade for ps, so i would presume copay does not apply to rpu/gpu upgrade
No copay for RPU/GPU but just wait, this is the first step towards making PS like international where you need a minimum fare class to use a GPU or RPU on a PS route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.