Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Based just on status, no grandfathering -- that has been UA's position. 1MMers get Gold benefits (whatever those are at the moment -- so can change) unless member as higher earned status.
If people think that Gold will remain Star Gold, and keep the same benefits of today - they are dellusional.
As more people become million milers - United will let you keep Gold - because that is all they promised - but Gold will get you maybe a free bag and E+ at checkin.

As someone who could probably get to MM before I am 40, and I am sure there are way younger people - I doubt UA would want to give us Star Gold (which is what is really costing them money) for decades to come.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If people think that Gold will remain Star Gold, and keep the same benefits of today - they are dellusional.
As more people become million milers - United will let you keep Gold - because that is all they promised - but Gold will get you maybe a free bag and E+ at checkin.

As someone who could probably get to MM before I am 40, and I am sure there are way younger people - I doubt UA would want to give us Star Gold (which is what is really costing them money) for decades to come.
The *G benefits only really apply if you are an international flyer. So I think the costs are not as high as you presume them to be. And if they are MM they are probably on UA metal so baggage fees are not counted as they would get that as just a Gold on UA anyways, so it is more like lounge access fees.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
For me at this point in time AA works best for me. Mainline jets to frequent destinations (that UA flies RJs), better service, better new international products, better FF program, better upgrade rate (for me 92.5% this year including transcons). If AA/US switch and copy UA/DL then I will likely just move back to UA and sort of forget about FF miles (since I am already locked in with status).
You're not making any sense, you now say mileage is less a factor and yet, and AA is better in service/equipment, you'd move from AA if they're the same as UA mileage wise?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The status on awards. I don't think it's right that a 1Ks entire family and circle of friends gets higher priority than a Platinum or Gold.
Well, I beg to differ. I do as I am a 1K.

Now, if I were less I would feel differently. It's a bit like going to work. The VPs get massive perks for doing very little except being in the right place at the right time, while we serfs provide the $$$ and fear layoffs. Welcome to the Greek, Roman and American Empires.

We have friends coming from OR for Thanksgiving. They have no status on any airline - Marie Antoinette would find that hard to believe and would no doubt expect them to bring their own cake to eat on the plane.

They think I am a genius when it comes to airline fares. And they are right. I know the fares so well on this route (they are determined by Southwest like many routes) that I did not even go to ITA. I went straight to the Southwest site and bought the tickets at the lowest fare. At what I knew would be a UA G fare. Why? They will have 2 bags each. That is $100 each ticket (is that right - who cares on the detail?)

They are always messing around with ticket dates after purchse and Southwest is perfect for this nasty habit of theirs too.

They are disabled so they will get the best seats anyway. And in return Southwest will get loyal if irregular customers for life. Betcha.

Now the question is does Southwest get greedy on bag fees? Probably at some point. But by then UAL will be charging to use the toilet.

Two decades as a 1K and I am now buying Southwest for my friends. Something very badly wrong here with UA's marketing.

This policy of getting mean will bite them in the next downturn.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
a non scientific survey of this thread indicates that:
very very few people are actually leaving UA because of this or other changes
many many people complain about how awful UA is but continue to fly them

looks to me like SMIJ made a smart call (again)
Agreed completely. But many things in life are like this. You can abuse your kids to the end of time without anything happening. But one day their teacher notices the bruises and you go to prison for a decade.

In mathematics it's a discontinuity function. And it will happen to UAL. In the next airline downturn or possibly the one after. Unfortunately my 1K status will evaporate then too. No airline = no 1K.

It's like salami negotiating - keep taking a slice when the other side thought they had a deal that was fair to both. It is very very irritating for the other party as they keep giving. In the end they say "xxxx off - no deal".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:33 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Well, I beg to differ. I do as I am a 1K.
Of course you do. If it benefits you, you like it, if it doesn't, you don't. Not rocket science.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

What it means is that as *G for life, I'm not going to buy their credit card to get the same benefits. UA is now a credit card company that happens to run an airline.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcdavido
What it means is that as *G for life, I'm not going to buy their credit card to get the same benefits. UA is now a credit card company that happens to run an airline.
But it could easily be argued you were never promised *G for life. Only UA Gold for 1MM. They could easily take *G away as a benefit of Gold. Hope they don't, but they could.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA MM
We all feel the impact of these changes differently as we have different travel needs. Other than the (for me) huge decrease in mileage earning with the revenue-based "miles", oh and the decrease in what I get for being MM (again, fewer miles), I've been mostly immune. But taking my status off the awards I take for travel of family members hits me where it hurts - losing E+ etc. for one kid effectively takes it away from all, unless I can talk my way into it or buy up.

To those who have dodged the bullet so far, lucky you! I would not say I am "leaving" UA for some other carrier, but I have very little loyalty and shop for the best flights from any carrier, where "best" takes into account all the costs and the benefits, or lack thereof, such as good seating, baggage fees, entertainment, chance of upgrade, etc. Before this year, I'd just call up the United schedule and pick a flight. These changes will probably cause me to take a few flights fewer each year on UA; in fact this has already happened.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:16 pm

Been a loyal customer since they started non-stops to Seoul, Beijing and Shanghai. Been frugal since every $$$ is mine (Self Employed). So I resisted a couple of mileage tickets to try to get to the 1K requirement ($10K). Busting my B..s to buy a 1/2 Business fare, Coach to reach the $10K limit by Dec 31, but alas... next year it is going to be $12K to keep my 1K level for 2016. So, next year, I will use my free GPUs , then with all those extra saved miles, I will buy a bunch of free coach tickets for the second half of 2015, until all miles are used up. BTW: I will be a 1M / Gold for Life BS member by then.

Why? Because the $$$ comes out of my pocket.. and I would rather spend it on something fun like, College for my boys or a new car... or better yet.. add to my retirement savings. Sorry UAL, you are going to get stiffed by me and countless others, more than ever before. Punishing me for buying inexpensive fares you publish.....

If I ran my small company like that, and treated my customers this way, I would be out of business before you could say..... ooops.

Asiana and Korean Air, here I come. I really wanted to buy American. When you go to Korea, all the buses have slogans on them, "Buy Korean". Sad I am pushed away like that from our own countries corporate mismanagement. Used to be a Diamond member with Asiana until United came on the scene competitively. But I won't look back, because Asiana's got the best service of any airline I have flown on. The customer comes first attitude will win my $$$.

Enjoy your travels, Happy Holidays.

We had a good thing going UAL.

Scott
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdmann
Been a loyal customer since they started non-stops to Seoul, Beijing and Shanghai. Been frugal since every $$$ is mine (Self Employed). So I resisted a couple of mileage tickets to try to get to the 1K requirement ($10K). Busting my B..s to buy a 1/2 Business fare, Coach to reach the $10K limit by Dec 31, but alas... next year it is going to be $12K to keep my 1K level for 2016. So, next year, I will use my free GPUs , then with all those extra saved miles, I will buy a bunch of free coach tickets for the second half of 2015, until all miles are used up. BTW: I will be a 1M / Gold for Life BS member by then.

Why? Because the $$$ comes out of my pocket.. and I would rather spend it on something fun like, College for my boys or a new car... or better yet.. add to my retirement savings. Sorry UAL, you are going to get stiffed by me and countless others, more than ever before. Punishing me for buying inexpensive fares you publish.....

If I ran my small company like that, and treated my customers this way, I would be out of business before you could say..... ooops.

Asiana and Korean Air, here I come. I really wanted to buy American. When you go to Korea, all the buses have slogans on them, "Buy Korean". Sad I am pushed away like that from our own countries corporate mismanagement. Used to be a Diamond member with Asiana until United came on the scene competitively. But I won't look back, because Asiana's got the best service of any airline I have flown on. The customer comes first attitude will win my $$$.

Scott
UA's attitude will just be, goodbye, we will make it up in TOD's and baggage fees.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by sdmann
Asiana and Korean Air, here I come. I really wanted to buy American. ....

Scott
If one leaves UA, what other International Airlines (other than Delta and AA), if any, have good elite programs (especially for upgrades), including the European, Asian and Middle Eastern airlines?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hilton - Silver
Non US residents

I'm a little confused about the new way to earn miles in 2015.

On these two links I read some contradictory information regarding the new way to earn miles / achieve status for NON US residents

http://www.mileageplusupdates.com

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx

As a European citizen, I wonder how this will affect my earnings.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Leenco
I'm a little confused about the new way to earn miles in 2015.

On these two links I read some contradictory information regarding the new way to earn miles / achieve status for NON US residents

http://www.mileageplusupdates.com ...
This change is about how you earn award miles used for travel/upgrades/.... and applies uniformly to MP members around the world.

For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html

Originally Posted by Leenco
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx

As a European citizen, I wonder how this will affect my earnings.
This info is how you earn status and the new PQD requirements apply to members in different ways -- for instance non-USA residents are presently exempt for PQDs in qualifying for status in 2015.

For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2k-2015-a.html
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
STILL waiting for that partners earning chart. I'm still torn, I can stick with AC and get what I get now minus my upgrades which were probably 80% and would drop to more like 25%, OR switch to UA, take 0 upgrades, keep my lounge benefits/baggage (which I don't really use), get E+ free as my INTL flights usually end up on UA and 100% on cheapo UA flights...meanwhile the miles are more "valuable" on UA than AC. But I can't get the credit card so I lose out on like 30,000 miles right there a year.

If AC domestic flex fares get cut to 50% earning, I'll just have to stick with AC because 90% of my flights are there so I'd likely earn more by crediting the miles to AC and only earning 50% on my purchased cheapo UA flights rather than getting 100% on them and 50% on my other 90% of flights.

Arghhh just gimme the damn chart! I have this feeling they'll sit on it forever forcing me to pick one too early and regret it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold
I'm so sick of this. I used to do nothing but speak praise for this airline (years and years ago). Making us pay to upgrade on PS flights which shouldn't even be called "premium" anymore is my last straw. In my mind United is now in the same group of pitiful customer-raping companies such as Time Warner and Verzion.

Do you think we can get #ByeUnited to trend on twitter and facebook?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.