Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:36 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

[Copa-related changes moved to seperate thread to facilitate discussion by moderator]

MileagePlus is making updates to some Premier benefits for the 2015 Premier program, which will be communicated to members later today. To learn more, please visit united.com/premier.

-UA Insider

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:27 am Reason: see above
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Separately, MileagePlus is making updates to some Premier benefits for the 2015 Premier program, which will be communicated to members later today. To learn more, please visit united.com/premier.
Ominous.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
A few of the changes are up, and I think you'll like them :

Removing the mileage "donor" status from tickets purchased with their miles, and elimination of the Global entry payment code benefit.

2Complimentary Premier Access is determined by the Premier status of the traveler on the day of travel. Customers traveling on the same reservation as someone who is eligible to receive complimentary Premier Access will also receive complimentary Premier Access. As of April 15, 2015, complimentary Premier Access for travelers on award tickets is based on the traveler's Premier status on the day of travel, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket.

3As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus will no longer provide a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee. Eligible members may continue to request a payment code until January 31, 2015.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by entropy
A few of the changes are up, and I think you'll like them :

Removing the mileage "donor" status from tickets purchased with their miles, and elimination of the Global entry payment code benefit.

Complimentary Premier Access is determined by the Premier status of the traveler on the day of travel. Customers traveling on the same reservation as someone who is eligible to receive complimentary Premier Access will also receive complimentary Premier Access. As of April 15, 2015, complimentary Premier Access for travelers on award tickets is based on the traveler's Premier status on the day of travel, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket
Well...shoot.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus is announcing that Copa Airlines will launch its own loyalty program in July 2015, and some MileagePlus benefits on Copa Airlines flights will change starting July 1, 2015.

Copa will remain a MileagePlus partner and Star Alliance member, and members’ current award miles balance, Premier status and Premier qualifying activity in MileagePlus will not be affected. Please visit united.com/copaupdates for more details and information.

Separately, MileagePlus is making updates to some Premier benefits for the 2015 Premier program, which will be communicated to members later today. To learn more, please visit united.com/premier.

-UA Insider
Truly disappointing that the MP program gets less and less attractive and the benefits continue to get reduced at the same time the qualifications get increased and the onboard experience continues to deteriorate. At some point even loyal UA flyers like myself are going to start walking away. I am a 10+ year 1K with 1.5 million miles who has been flying United since I was a kid, but at a certain point, enough is enough.

It is looking more and more like 2015 might be the year that I walk away . . .

Tim

Last edited by TimInSF; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
so are there ANY positive changes at all ?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Baggage allowance change for Gold members:
...!!!!

so you keep taking and taking and taking away stuff....this would of been a nice heads up with more than 40 days to go in the year. If you told us this for 2016, fine I'll live, but 40 days before? this is such BS, I am so sick of this.

CAN WE HAVE SOMETHING IN RETURN THAT WE GET!!!!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2014 at 9:07 am Reason: language
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
If you're one of those people who believes that negative changes drive away elites and that once the ranks are thinned UA will lavish more benefits and upgrades upon the remaining elites, that could be one.

But I didn't see any true benefits.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I give them credit for at least marking the downgrades so we can identify them, rather than just sneaking them in. Hopefully they've turned a corner and will start being more honest about changes going forward.
On a Wednesday morning no less. An announcement next Wednesday, in the afternoon (for the U.S.A.) would have been more in keeping with ... tradition.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Devalue, devalue, devalue.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Profits are at all time high.

Mr. Smisek, can we have more, Sir

Last edited by username; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:02 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by JBord
If you're one of those people who believes that negative changes drive away elites and that once the ranks are thinned UA will lavish more benefits and upgrades upon the remaining elites, that could be one.

But I didn't see any true benefits.
Next year I won't re-qual for 1K, so these won't be a positive for me

The one benefit taken away this time that really impacts me is co-pay for p.s. upgrade ... $250 one-way is a high-bar on top of the miles and the base fare. I guess UA now treats all flights with a flat bed seat the same (i think the ONLY lower48 exception will be that odd ORD-EWR 763 flight)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(i think the ONLY lower48 exception will be that odd ORD-EWR 763 flight)
Given your handle, how could you miss IAH-DEN and IAH-SFO on flat-bed 787?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Well there you have it...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Well yes there are many positives with all the announcements that united has made the last few weeks.

1. They are cutting benifits for the frequent traveler so in turn higher profits for shareholders.

2. They are driving away elites from flying UA so in turn less spent on elite benifits which results in higher profits for shareholders.

3. They are charging more for current benifits to elites so in turn higher profits for shareholders.

4. They will have less flyers so they can make all their planes smaller and fly less frequently. Huge savings in labor and fuel expenses and payments for aircraft. All which will result in the highest profit ever made by any airline in the history of aviation. Shareholders have the biggest party ever with all the money they are making.

5. SMI/J is labeled and praised as the smartest business man that the world could ever see and every corporation pays him billions to do the same for their company.

Sounds great. Look at all those positives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.