Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
My United revenue flights have gone to almost zero this year. I still get a ton of points from the Presidential Plus, and my family appreciates me using the points on them. My mom recently did a CLE-Florida trip on my points and got upgraded both ways, that'll all go away with this.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I guess I'm in the minority, but as soon-to-be Golds, I see one positive (two if you include the outflux of dissatisfied elites), and nothing else that will have any effect on us whatsoever.
What is the positive that you see?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Deltahater
What is the positive that you see?
The status on awards. I don't think it's right that a 1Ks entire family and circle of friends gets higher priority than a Platinum or Gold.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

I remember when Sam was 1k... Now gold!?!? How we all fall. I was gold, now silver, but my only 2015 travel so far is on VX. I think we all need to give up on the free Y>C upgrades on ual, even with miles or gpu... If we can accept that, then would ual be easier?

Are these new changes THAT much worse than what already happened this year with mileage rdm earnings & redemption, and us learning that most upgrades wouldn't occur? Does the ps copay matter that much when the ps upgrades are super rare for starters?

At least chase gives a lot of miles (regardless of usefulness)... Citi barely gives much for aa cards; like 20% bonus whereas chase is 50-100% bonus. Unless my $85 citi aa card is just genuinely useless!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 787fan
so are there ANY positive changes at all ?
Nothing positive. Yesterday I sat in an IAD-SFO flight with no entertainment and a dysfunctional wifi. it was just like that Virgin 5 hr video about travelling on boring airlines. I've actually been flying Virgin more and that trend is likely to continue. anyway, tired of devaluations and no benefits
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The status on awards. I don't think it's right that a 1Ks entire family and circle of friends gets higher priority than a Platinum or Gold.
This was never a stated benefit. In fact, it was never intended to be a benefit at all. It came about due to a limitation/feature of the underlying systems. These systems, it seems, are nw being fixed.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:30 pm

So many negative changes announced mid-week. Gawsh, what will Friday bring?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
In fact, it was never intended to be a benefit at all. It came about due to a limitation/feature of the underlying systems.
We've always made that assumption, but of course there's no proof one way or the other. Regardless, it's a change and I'm glad to see it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DBCme
So many negative changes announced mid-week. Gawsh, what will Friday bring?
Now we're just waiting for the *A partner mileage massacre.

Predict they will do with all partners as they are doing with Copa (75% on discount fares, 50% on deep discount fares).

They don't. It's the miles from the 1K account that carry the benefit, not the identity of the beneficiary.

This change has nothing to do with enhancing your travel experience or upgrade percentage. It is just a naked revenue grab. Specifically, checked bag, E+, and "premier access" fees. The loss of upgrade priority is being thrown in for spite, just to make sure we know how little they care about our business.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 20, 2014 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:50 am

We've always made that assumption, but of course there's no proof one way or the other. Regardless, it's a change and I'm glad to see it.
Is it because it's a benefit you (or your recipients of award tickets) don't use as a 1K? I doubt that it will really help you as a gold, but I suppose we don't know that now.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Now we're just waiting for the *A partner mileage massacre.
what do you mean? *A flights will be the same $ based earnings as UA is moving to.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by entropy
what do you mean? *A flights will be the same $ based earnings as UA is moving to.
Right now the likes of LH, NH etc earn 100% mileage.
Expect it to go down to zero/25% for anything but full Y fares.

They ll never be able to implement spend based on partners, a partner is not going to tell their competition (UA) how much they charged you for the ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I agree with all of this...but what's the alternative? It's exactly the same program as DL; AA/US has its issues too. I've considered just untethering from FF programs but there are still benefits to having status. Any bright ideas?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
My United revenue flights have gone to almost zero this year. I still get a ton of points from the Presidential Plus, and my family appreciates me using the points on them. My mom recently did a CLE-Florida trip on my points and got upgraded both ways, that'll all go away with this.
So you won't fly United but you will subject your family to United?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I'm surprised they didn't release all the bad news right before the Thanksgiving holiday. Wouldn't that be more like UA's style?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.