Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Reduction in luggage allowance for Premier Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum

Just noticed that as of February 1st, Premier Gold members will have a reduced domestic allowance of 2 bags of 70lbs each.

It appears international (presumed TATL and TPAC) will remain unchanged at 3x70lbs.

For all United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For travel to and from select international markets, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Not an unreasonable change but UA should have the courtesy to inform people - ie its Gold members - in advance. By definition, these customers fly frequently and are unlikely to check the rules ahead of each flight so are most likely to be caught out at the airport by the change.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Thanks Jeff.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
The cuts to the MMer program continue.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
A seldom used benefit, but when I needed it was valuable and showed UA was willing to do something extra for all of my business.

I think I'm going to start checking a bag of rocks in each direction in protest.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Baggage allowance change for Gold members:

For all United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For travel to and from select international markets, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
By definition, these customers fly frequently and are unlikely to check the rules ahead of each flight so are most likely to be caught out at the airport by the change.
Ignorance of the rules is no excuse.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ignorance of the rules is no excuse.
But is much less an offence than changing the rules without proper notification.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: UA MM
They continue to chip away. I don't do three bags, but I'm sure we'll be losing our 70 lbs at some point, and that will hurt me. I've learned to expect less and less from the "friendly" skies and shop around more.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmr12
A seldom used benefit, but when I needed it was valuable and showed UA was willing to do something extra for all of my business.

I think I'm going to start checking a bag of rocks in each direction in protest.
I don't recall ever checking three bags. On rare occasions I've checked two (<12 lbs each). On my last international trip, I checked one ~22 lb bag. I don't even want to imagine the hassle of schlepping an additional 200 pounds of baggage (besides my carry-on and "personal item") up to the check-in counter.

Don't get me wrong. I don't "appreciate" the change even though it's real affect on my life and travel plans will be zero. But, as others have pointed out, it's a harbinger of things to come.

It would take about 50,000,000 RDM and (guaranteed c. 2008) lifetime GS status for me to take UA Insider's job.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Yet another reduction in benefits.

Thank you, Global Spirit Airlines
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have never checked 3 bags, so I don't actually think this is a problem per se (plus I'm going to hit Plat for next year)... but it is just a further devaluation - next time plats will lose a bag, then 1ks...

they just keep chipping away
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:07 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I would rather see (3) @ 50 lbs than (2) @ 70. A 55 lb bag is considered "heavy" for weight and balance calculations. Heavy bags are often overpacked resulting in damage and I would bet lead to more LTI of people moving them.

"Heavy" and "overweight" do not mean the same thing, heavy is one over 50 lbs, overweight is one in excess of the standard weight without incurring an "overweight charge". I think it would make more sense to make these two terms have the same effective meaning, if only for standardization.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
They continue to chip away.
That is an understatement. They are taking a hatchet to MP today.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not an unreasonable change but UA should have the courtesy to inform people - ie its Gold members - in advance. By definition, these customers fly frequently and are unlikely to check the rules ahead of each flight so are most likely to be caught out at the airport by the change.
How much notice is enough notice in advance? This doesn't take effect for 2 ½ months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.