Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I lost 1k status in 2014, and am scrambling at the end of the year to make it back again. As a 1MM, I have *G (for now?).

The way I see these changes is that they could be positive by thinning the ranks and providing more stratification of premier status levels -- *if* UA then spends more money on providing better services for higher end customers. Based on what I've seen over the last few years, I'm not holding my breath.

If they don't, it will simply be chopping a bit off the high end of their bell curve of customers. Loyalty takes time to earn, and time to lose. After spending the last few years transitioning to a market-based approach to their business, UA has improved margins, and we'll see if they can keep loyalty in the long term -- especially through the next downturn, when I predict they will be seeing lots of red. Those loyal customers won't be there to prop them up and it will all be a race to the bottom with lower margins.

Just have to buck up, adjust to the change, and make decisions based on the current reality. Next year could be my last as 1k -- or not. Let's see how United changes their strategy based on customer response.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
"The mileage calculator is for estimating purposes only. Actual mileage posting will be determined by the actual ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges), purchased ticket routing, fare class, Premier status, residency, ticket issue date and flight departure date. For tickets purchased in a currency other than US dollars, we will convert the purchase to US dollars and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. "

what does the "residency" have to do with miles earning for 2015???

I am going to 1k for my last year with United and will be moving to another program myself. I will get 60%-70% less RDM miles to Asia. As i only cheap fares under 7 cent per mile to asia. current RDM is 30,000 miles after March 9000~miles
dont think i will stay with Mileage Plus. I may still fly United if the ticket is cheapest but will bank with another program to even get my full 15,000 flown miles.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
.... what does the "residency" have to do with miles earning for 2015???...
may be a reference to PQD requirements based on account postal address.

Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
.... I may still fly United if the ticket is cheapest but will bank with another program to even get my full 15,000 flown miles.
Will be interesting to see if other programs continue providing the same level of credit in the future for UA operated flights. Since UA will have to purchase those miles from the other program, UA may negotiate lower mileage for discount fares. Remember the operating airline determines the reimbursement. Doubt UA could bet the crediting program to go along with the price approach -- but UA may only provide 25%-50% of base miles for cheaper fares.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM - Platinum. Southwest A-list preferred. Hilton Diamond (10+ years)
This really sucks. One of the benefits of having your status transfer with award tickets is that I've safely flown my underage daughters on solo flights both domestic and international. Knowing they had priority status let them through the airports much faster, gave them secure lounge access, and me peace of mind. This really upsets me that United is taking that away.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DougieDugDug
This really sucks. One of the benefits of having your status transfer with award tickets is that I've safely flown my underage daughters on solo flights both domestic and international. Knowing they had priority status let them through the airports much faster, gave them secure lounge access, and me peace of mind. This really upsets me that United is taking that away.
But they were never supposed to have it in the first place. I understand where you are coming from and it sucks (for some) that a glitch that has been taken advantage of for a while is being fixed. I have mixed feelings about it. I have a hard enough time getting upgrades so am glad it is being fixed. On the flip side a couple friends have cited me GPU's in the past and riding their status on them has helped get me a couple upgrades I wouldn't have in the past. So I lose that. But that is maybe a once a year thing so I am more in the camp of glad it is being fixed so maybe I can get an upgrade on my status more than I do now (not holding my breath).
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by swm61230

Well yes there are many positives with all the announcements that united has made the last few weeks.

1. They are cutting benifits for the frequent traveler so in turn higher profits for shareholders.

2. They are driving away elites from flying UA so in turn less spent on elite benifits which results in higher profits for shareholders.

3. They are charging more for current benifits to elites so in turn higher profits for shareholders.

4. They will have less flyers so they can make all their planes smaller and fly less frequently. Huge savings in labor and fuel expenses and payments for aircraft. All which will result in the highest profit ever made by any airline in the history of aviation. Shareholders have the biggest party ever with all the money they are making.

5. SMI/J is labeled and praised as the smartest business man that the world could ever see and every corporation pays him billions to do the same for their company.

Sounds great. Look at all those positives.
Love all these "positives"!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Love all these "positives"!

Finally somebody agrees with my positives.

Originally Posted by Baze
But they were never supposed to have it in the first place. I understand where you are coming from and it sucks (for some) that a glitch that has been taken advantage of for a while is being fixed. I have mixed feelings about it. I have a hard enough time getting upgrades so am glad it is being fixed. On the flip side a couple friends have cited me GPU's in the past and riding their status on them has helped get me a couple upgrades I wouldn't have in the past. So I lose that. But that is maybe a once a year thing so I am more in the camp of glad it is being fixed so maybe I can get an upgrade on my status more than I do now (not holding my breath).
Exactly!!!

You want them to have the status fly with them on the same ticket. PERIOD!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 28, 2014 at 7:06 am Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA; British Avios
Originally Posted by kale73
Given your handle, how could you miss IAH-DEN and IAH-SFO on flat-bed 787?
Dont forget the IAD to IAH on a 777
and SFO-IAH on a 767

I think those are pretty much the current UA widebody flights regularly scheduled in USA.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Any word yet on *A partner fare classes and how they translate into PQM for 2015?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjp123
Any word yet on *A partner fare classes and how they translate into PQM for 2015?
PQM isn't likely to change - it's RDM earning that is

Only 3 more days this year for UA to tell us for next year...
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Only 3 more days this year for UA to tell us for next year...
But the new scheme doesn't come into play until March 1.

DL didn't announce their new partner earnings until about 30 days prior to implementation.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
But the new scheme doesn't come into play until March 1.

DL didn't announce their new partner earnings until about 30 days prior to implementation.
True, but of course one can book flights through late November at this point, that's the frustrating thing.

Sometimes it's good for UA to not copy DL...giving short notice is one of them
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
very very few people are actually leaving UA because of this or other changes
my first rtw of 2014 is one world. i book in biz, don't upgrade further, so my loyalty to ua is about proportional to theirs to me. you can stuff it, co-worker jeff.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE

Decisions decisions... the new year is here.

I need to start booking but held captive at IAH but want to stick it to SMI/J!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:21 am

I'm totally confused about all the changes.

For example:

NRT-ORD-NRT, a little over 6000 actual miles each way

(1)
If I buy a NRT-ORD-NRT ticket for $900 on NH's website in May 2015,
how many UA miles will I earn?(both premier qualifying and reward miles)

(2)
If I buy a NRT-ORD-NRT ticket for $900 on UA's website in May 2015,
how many UA miles will I earn?(both premier qualifying and reward miles)

Due to a mistake on my part, my status is only Gold for 2015 and my UA MP
account address is in the EU.

In 2014 and earlier, I earn 100% miles in both situations(1 & 2). I assume
in 2015, it's going to be a lot different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.