Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:55 pm

It might take a few years for the UA to wake up and realize they have taken away probably the most important incentive for many of us to fly with them with these changes. The average traveler is going to pretty confused with this tangled mess of a "loyalty" prgm.

Congratulations UA !
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
Excuse my ignorance, but with the new changes of MP, would the recommendation (since i have Amex points that I can transfer to a variety of airline programs) be to stop using my MileagePlus account for earning miles on United travel and start crediting another program, such as Singapore's program? Not really worried about domestic travel, but for when I fly to Europe this summer and Dubai in the coming months, I would much rather earn the most miles, which I obviously will no longer get from United.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Excuse my ignorance, but with the new changes of MP, would the recommendation (since i have Amex points that I can transfer to a variety of airline programs) be to stop using my MileagePlus account for earning miles on United travel and start crediting another program, such as Singapore's program? ....
No sure there is that sort of consensus. With the earning for MP changing for both UA travel and partner travel many are asking similiar questions. However many of *A programs have or seem to be poised to reduce earnings on deep discount economy fares, so there may be no safe home for those folks.

For the paid premium cabin folks, MP might actually be a good place.

A couple of threads to check are
- earlier in this thread
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1-2015-a.html
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-uas-mp.html
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-2015-a.html
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No sure there is that sort of consensus. With the earning for MP changing for both UA travel and partner travel many are asking similiar questions. However many of *A programs have or seem to be poised to reduce earnings on deep discount economy fares, so there may be no safe home for those folks.

For the paid premium cabin folks, MP might actually be a good place.

A couple of threads to check are
- earlier in this thread
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1-2015-a.html
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-uas-mp.html
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-2015-a.html
Thank you! While I don't fly THAT much, I don't like the idea of earning less miles for long-haul flights in the Y cabin. If I have the option, I will just fly AA from now on.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Thank you! While I don't fly THAT much, I don't like the idea of earning less miles for long-haul flights in the Y cabin. If I have the option, I will just fly AA from now on.
That may just deffer the issue til next year if AA / OneWorld follows the other two.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:41 pm

That may just deffer the issue til next year if AA / OneWorld follows the other two.
This is true. I'm sure eventually all the programs will follow suit. Oh well! Thx for your reply!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Anyone have miles post on their 3/1 flight yet? Waiting for mine.
Hopefully it's done right.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
Originally Posted by demkr
Anyone have miles post on their 3/1 flight yet? Waiting for mine.
Hopefully it's done right.
HKG-EWR earned me a whopping 2046 miles!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

With all these devaluations it is an incentive to fly less. Perhaps good for my marriage, good for my health and good for the planet.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus - Plat
wow UA just reminded me how they gave everyone a big smack in the face on March 1.

Feb 22 flew to HNL got 8683 miles, via plat status
flew back on March 1 only got 2664 miles, so basically i need to purchase full fare flights to get the same earnings i use to get......ouch

is there another *alliance member i can transfer my status and still earn miles base on miles flown?

Last edited by goalie; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:58 am Reason: changed offensive term to "smack in the face"
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baley
HKG-EWR earned me a whopping 2046 miles!
Si you only paid $186 for HKG-EWR. Your profile says you are 1K so 2046/11=$186. That's a cheap flight.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Baze
Si you only paid $186 for HKG-EWR. Your profile says you are 1K so 2046/11=$186. That's a cheap flight.
Thats not that uncommon for low winter basefares

Check out the breakdown for my last ORD-SIN in February in K class

Hong Kong-Singapore $35
Chicago (ORD)-San Francisco $37
San Francisco-Hong Kong $98

The whole thing would earn a whopping 1870 miles
In February - it earned 20726 miles - This is a 91%+ reduction in mileage.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats not that uncommon for low winter basefares

Check out the breakdown for my last ORD-SIN in February in K class

Hong Kong-Singapore $35
Chicago (ORD)-San Francisco $37
San Francisco-Hong Kong $98

The whole thing would earn a whopping 1870 miles
In February - it earned 20726 miles - This is a 91%+ reduction in mileage.
But considering 20K RDMs have a min value of $200 to $300 and possible more, it is not surprising UA really doesn't want to play that game. Those flights are a poster child for this change.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
But considering 20K RDMs have a min value of $200 to $300 and possible more, it is not surprising UA really doesn't want to play that game. Those flights are a poster child for this change.
Obviously.

These flights are also a poster child for the result of the changes on out-of-pocket/buy-lowest-price, long haul flyers.

I see no further reason to suffer UA's craptacular longhaul services, whereas before, at least earning miles made it somewhat tolerable.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Man, it's brutal with united now that it's here. AA here I come. Until they follow suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.