Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: United Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
United 1K
2/21 - Newark (EWR) to Manila (MNL)
EWR to NRT 6,732 plus bonus 6,732 = 13,464 $355
NRT to MNL 1,893 plus bonus 1,893 = 3,786 $124
total 17,250 $479

3/7 - Manila (MNL) to Newark (EWR)
MNL to HND 395 plus bonus 474 = 869 $79
HND to SFO 920 plus bonus 1,104 = 2,024 $184
SFO to EWR 555 plus bonus 666 = 1,221 $111
total 4,114 $374
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Obviously.

These flights are also a poster child for the result of the changes on out-of-pocket/buy-lowest-price, long haul flyers.

I see no further reason to suffer UA's craptacular longhaul services, whereas before, at least earning miles made it somewhat tolerable.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
With all these devaluations it is an incentive to fly less. Perhaps good for my marriage, good for my health and good for the planet.
Excellent points.... good for health and good for the planet
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold; SWA Rapid Rewards
Flew ABQ/ LGA, 1-way, got my mileage correct, $270 X 8 (Gold) = 2160.

Thats not that uncommon for low winter basefares

Check out the breakdown for my last ORD-SIN in February in K class

Hong Kong-Singapore $35
Chicago (ORD)-San Francisco $37
San Francisco-Hong Kong $98

The whole thing would earn a whopping 1870 miles
In February - it earned 20726 miles - This is a 91%+ reduction in mileage.
Did you receive all your PQM? Personally, that is my struggle, to fly enough to earn the 50K PQM needed to maintain Gold status. The $6K PQD doesn't help either.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:48 pm

United PQM

I am confused with PQM accumulation after March 1 2015. Previously this was always equal to the actual flight miles with a 500 minimum. Award points was different of course with class bonus etc. However this month, I am getting more PQM than actual miles flown on some flights. Is this a bug or are PQM based on purchase price instead of miles? I thought PQM was still miles in seat.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dts9
I am confused with PQM accumulation after March 1 2015. Previously this was always equal to the actual flight miles with a 500 minimum. Award points was different of course with class bonus etc. However this month, I am getting more PQM than actual miles flown on some flights. Is this a bug or are PQM based on purchase price instead of miles? I thought PQM was still miles in seat.
PQM is still based on miles traveled (BIS) with a 500 min for elites. Some premium cabin fares earn a class of service (CoS) PQM bonus -- and for partners, some discount fare earn less than 100% of BIS.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Interesting for me to see how my own travel schedule is changing as a result of the new UA revenue based scheme. I fly a mix of US internal and international flights and made 1k easy. Now that the international flights (even with GPU fares) don't garner so many points I don't feel so readily inclined to travel, especially long haul.

I wonder if I am untypical or whether UA will see a drop off in international revenue as a result of their program changes. Perhaps a good thing (fewer pax, fewer or smaller planes needed) for the environmental, and perhaps UA is happy scaling back.

That all said - I am considering getting some status with AA or even Etihad and if I find that one of those programs are rewarding then they might get all my international travel and I'll find myself ramping back up. How curious it is to see how this small change effects my own behavior.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:26 am

Earning 1,170 miles on this rather indirect international itinerary (11,000 PQM). Thankfully the ticket was cheap. At this rate, I would need to fly 17 round trips to Berlin to earn enough miles for a Roundtrip domestic Saver Award flight.

IAH>ORD>ARN>TXL

TXL>CPH>EWR>IAH
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
The only reason to fly UA is if you stand a chance to make GS....

The March 1 changes to MileagePlus basically killed the mileage run. Since we are now measured by dollar spend, why fly JFK-SFO-NRT-SIN in business class when you can take a flight 1/3rd the time (say EWR to anywhere in Europe) and actually relax, and get the spend. There is no hard written rule that you have to fly 100K BIS to make GS, I think it is more about shelling out $50k. This most recent program change has been the most revolutionary event to the US FF plan since it began, started by Delta in it's current form first. There is no more gaming the system - you either pay to be treated like a human being or just give up. And honestly, it is what all the best airlines in the world have been doing for years. And maybe coincidentally, US airlines are making record profits as they have slowly been prepping us for the change in status from how many miles you fly to how much you spend. It could really kill Flyertalk, because in reality the conversation is over. I guess we need to wait for AA, but I'd say the writing is on the wall!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrbiggs223
Earning 1,170 miles on this rather indirect international itinerary (11,000 PQM). Thankfully the ticket was cheap. At this rate, I would need to fly 17 round trips to Berlin to earn enough miles for a Roundtrip domestic Saver Award flight.

IAH>ORD>ARN>TXL

TXL>CPH>EWR>IAH
Unless you got a $200 all-in ticket, and are a general member - you have these numbers wrong.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by adambrau
The March 1 changes to MileagePlus basically killed the mileage run. Since we are now measured by dollar spend, ....
RDM runs yes but status runs still can make sense if you are:
non-USA based; or
have a credit card waiver for Plat or lower status.
Originally Posted by adambrau
It could really kill Flyertalk, because in reality the conversation is over. ....
Perhaps for some, but many are here for different reasons and may have never done a MR (I have not).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Unless you got a $200 all-in ticket, and are a general member - you have these numbers wrong.
You're assumptions are correct:

General Member. $900 Ticket ($230 Fare, $500 International Surcharge, Taxes). 1,170 Miles Earned.

So 55% of my fare was a Surcharge that I earn zero miles on. I couldn't see the fare breakdown until after I purchased. I understand everyone is in the same boat but I thought this was an egregious example of how little miles are earned via the new system.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mrbiggs223
You're assumptions are correct:

General Member. $900 Ticket ($230 Fare, $500 International Surcharge, Taxes). 1,170 Miles Earned.

So 55% of my fare was a Surcharge that I earn zero miles on. ....
Actually incorrect -- you should / will earn miles on International surcharge
PQD are determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Correct PQD is $730 (using your numbers) and RDM for GM should be 3,650 miles.
Also see wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-thoughts.html

If this is already flown, you need to contract MPSC,
If depending on the report in the reservation , this is a known/reported bug.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...or-flying.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 8, 2015 at 2:31 pm Reason: links
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
Just booked a flight to Dubai from NYC - was reminded in my email from United that I would be earning 2,660 miles for this trip. At least I'm earning a little over 14,000 PQM for it. I miss the old United ways.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually incorrect -- you should / will earn miles on International surcharge

Correct PQD is $730 (using your numbers) and RDM for GM should be 3,650 miles.
Also see wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-thoughts.html

If this is already flown, you need to contract MPSC,
If depending on the report in the reservation , this is a known/reported bug.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...or-flying.html
Thanks on the report in the reservation, didn't realize there was a bug in it.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1K 1MM
Obviously.

These flights are also a poster child for the result of the changes on out-of-pocket/buy-lowest-price, long haul flyers.

I see no further reason to suffer UA's craptacular longhaul services, whereas before, at least earning miles made it somewhat tolerable.
Craptacular service, I like that analogy lol

After this year, all that 15 yrs of loyal UAL flying goes outta the window. UAL pays back loyal customers with a smack in the face. I hope this non sense they adopted from DAL bites them in their royal ....

The reply I got from 1k voice was basically a corp sponsored rahrah answer for their actions. I told them they should change UAL to DAL since what Delta does United follows cause they have 0 back bone of their own.

1.4 mm on UAL and Ill just keep my life long Gold status till they take that away too. Just a matter of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.