Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by entropy
what do you mean? *A flights will be the same $ based earnings as UA is moving to.
No, they won't. UA has specifically told us it will be based on a percentage of mileage:
Eligible flights operated by a Star Alliance or MileagePlus partner airline and not ticketed by United will earn award miles based on a percentage of distance flown, the purchased fare class and Premier status where applicable. Later this year we will have more details about earning award miles on partner flights.
UA lacks the fare data to implement a dollar based scheme for partner flights.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Nothing positive. Yesterday I sat in an IAD-SFO flight with no entertainment and a dysfunctional wifi. it was just like that Virgin 5 hr video about travelling on boring airlines. I've actually been flying Virgin more and that trend is likely to continue. anyway, tired of devaluations
and no benefits

United has seats. You may choose middle, aisle or window.

United has "entertainment".

Windows are offered on your flight.

Free cups with your decaf coffee.

Honestly I can't tell the difference any longer. Beige is the new silver.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by 787fan
so are there ANY positive changes at all ?
How amusing. Positive changes? This is United afterall.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jcresq
I agree with all of this...but what's the alternative? It's exactly the same program as DL; AA/US has its issues too. I've considered just untethering from FF programs but there are still benefits to having status. Any bright ideas?
I have no expectations for the value of my DL miles. However, the service is great and my upgrade percentage is way better (my sig line % includes DL flights with AS FF#). They're making cuts, but I also see some improvements in hard and soft product.

AS is also a viable FFP with no spend based earning, great redemptions, and a solid product.

My strategy is to diversify. Lower status in several programs. Buy kettle tickets on others when the price is right. Buy F or J when sensible.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
a non scientific survey of this thread indicates that:
very very few people are actually leaving UA because of this or other changes
many many people complain about how awful UA is but continue to fly them

looks to me like SMIJ made a smart call (again)
Haven't fly UA at all this year. UA used be my first choice, now AA has all my business now. And I keep telling my friend to move away from UA!!!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:21 am

In 2014, United lost about $10K of my flight budget to Delta (who has problems of their own, but at least the service is much better and Platinum will get you upgrades!). Next year they'll lose even more--United does not treat its 1Ks well, much less lower status.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Many people just had their dreams dashed.

Some time ago, many people had a dream: Higher bar results in fewer elite members; fewer members will enjoy more generous benefits.

That dream did NOT come true, yet.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
At least we weren't lied to by having UA say these changes are "improvements".
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, National Ex Elite
Thumbs down Whats the value in loyalty

These were actually some of the best features I've taken advantage of, so to lose them really sucks! Upgrading to PS is great when my company won't pay for it domestically, or using awards for my parents where they can sit in E+. Thank goodness I just got my GlobalEntry this year.

I've been going back in forth about moving to AA next year, I think this may have just put it over the edge. Limiting the number of elites by increasing the PQD's didn't bother me, but taking away the benefits along with it.....byebye United.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loyalty is so yesterday. On both sides of the fence.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:20 pm

The changes to the program don't appear to affect me, as I generally do not purchase tickets to fly on United, relying almost exclusively on free flights. The credit card provides free baggage. Not much else that I need here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:24 pm

Well I guess thats that. I actually use the 3 bags bringing stuff home from our house in Asia. Not getting my bags forwarded on some of those connecting flights is what really makes it an easy decision. No point in continuing to show UA loyalty when they have so severely cut mileage earning, and devalued those miles you do earn all while systematically cutting every benefit of the program.

I have spent over 10k this year out of my pocket, on this POS of an airline. No More. Done. They show no inclination of stopping the bleeding, just making more cuts.

I only have about 250k miles left to spend, after those are gone, I am just gonna buy the cheapest tickets available on whatever airline I choose, which will not be UA. I guess I will wait around for AA to get their act together and see what their program is gonna be then either go with them or just buy the cheapest available.

Actually after flying Virgin a couple times I think I would be happier just flying them in US and going with Cathay, SQ, Emirates or any of the dozen other asian airlines for international flights.

So long UA, would like to say its been fun.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Originally Posted by ylord789
Some time ago, many people had a dream: Higher bar results in fewer elite members; fewer members will enjoy more generous benefits.

That dream did NOT come true, yet.

Couldn't agree with you more on this!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:50 pm

But at least it has stopovers and open jars on award tickets....... we should cheer for this benefit since neither AA nor DL has this benefit on award tickets.....

Good Job United
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, National Ex Elite
Originally Posted by mht_flyer
Couldn't agree with you more on this!
I understand that the Copa changes could reduce the number of elites, but the other changes just reduce benefits. I don't see any positives in that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.