Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles – MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles – MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles – Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles – MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
I can only guess that this is why I got an email from Hertz yesterday saying that I'd qualified for five star. I was confused as I had not met the rental minimum. Maybe they just got on this real fast?

To answer a few questions:

No you don't need the UA CDP to get the elite status bonus miles.

Yes at least in early September I paid the FF surcharge fee to get the miles. $10.50 for 1750 miles.

No you choose between Hertz points and miles.

Now I've always taken miles, but on a recent rental in which the miles didn't credit, Hertz issued a credit, but I no longer could chose miles, only points. But this gets me thinking. Points are free. I can convert 600 points to 500 miles (I do not know if there is a charge for this). I'm wondering if points are a better deal. (I have not been able to find out how many points gets free rental days).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Indeed. It's remarkable to me that anyone would disagree about National's superiority
Do you really have to denegrate anyone who doesn't agree with you? IME, National is usually 50% more expensive, has no local office, and has benefits that are totally irrelevant to me. I always want the car I reserve, so the "choose your own battleship" option is of no use to me. I have a really good relationship with the local Hertz office (who no longer "upgrade" me against my wishes), and that's something National simply cannot match.

Originally Posted by Kacee
if you are EC, and reserve a midsize, you almost always get a free upgrade to a full size or better.
You may consider that an upgrade - I consider it a massive downgrade and insist on the car I reserved.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

It's got to be mostly corporate contracts. Hertz has lots of those. When I worked for a large securities firm we were required to book Hertz. It was awful. They would not deviate from booked car class for anything.
Absolutely correct. If I booked National, I'd risk not being reimbursed. Our corporate contract is with Avis/Budget, and we're allowed to use Hertz as a backup.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
IME, National is usually 50% more expensive,
IME Hertz is usually the most expensive of all the major rental companies.

You may consider that an upgrade - I consider it a massive downgrade and insist on the car I reserved.
Now this is just sheer silliness. With National, you can pick whichever car you like. So feel free to grab the midsize, I'll grab the fullsize or better

Do you turn down hotel upgrades as well? "Keep your oceanview suite, I insist on the twin courtyard view."
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Do you really have to denegrate anyone who doesn't agree with you? IME, National is usually 50% more expensive, has no local office, and has benefits that are totally irrelevant to me. I always want the car I reserve, so the "choose your own battleship" option is of no use to me. I have a really good relationship with the local Hertz office (who no longer "upgrade" me against my wishes), and that's something National simply cannot match.

I didn't denigrate a single person. I simply said it was remarkable. In any case, up until your post, I don't think a single person has come out and disagreed with me outright. So I don't know who all these people I'm supposedly "denigrating" are.

The rest of your post simply demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how the emerald aisle works. You're perception of how it works is exactly backward, and the fact that it works the opposite of the way you seem to think it does is exactly why it's so good.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I agree. I have been given some ridiculously large vehicles as "upgrades"' such as a Ford 150 or something like that, which I promptly refuse. I have no need to be driving a monster vehicle around by myself in a city I'm probably not that familiar with.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I can only guess that this is why I got an email from Hertz yesterday saying that I'd qualified for five star. I was confused as I had not met the rental minimum. Maybe they just got on this real fast?
The status benefit does not take effect until 1 Jan 2015.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Does this mean the Avis President's Club benefit is going away for PP Cardmembers?
Im worried too. I wished they only made it for club card holders because then we PP holders have nothing exclusive.

CC already get 1.5X miles, while we get 1 mile per dollar

The FPQM was supposed to be exclusive
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JBord
I agree. I have been given some ridiculously large vehicles as "upgrades"' such as a Ford 150 or something like that, which I promptly refuse. I have no need to be driving a monster vehicle around by myself in a city I'm probably not that familiar with.
Except that the bogeyman of having an unwanted upgrade thrust upon you is based on a misunderstand of how National works. The entire point is to not end up in a car you don't want. The whole idea of that being something to fear is foreign to me as a National renter.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Base on my 10+ times a year experience HERTZ LAX is the worst Rental location in the world. Always mess ups and long lines at the gold counter. Customer service there also stinks.
This is not true. Hertz LAX is my home airport location. I've been renting there for over 25 years (since they were across the street on Airport Blvd.). I will be PC next month. I have only seen long lines at the gold counter three times, twice this year and once two years ago (It was a busy summer at all rental agencies at LAX this year with record tourism). Customer service in the Gold office has always been great. This year alone they upgraded me to a brand new, 5 miles, Maxima from a full size, a new fully loaded Chevy Impala with leather from a midsize (C), and a fully loaded Explorer from a Chevy Captiva when the keys could not be found in the vehicle.

For the most part, Hertz everywhere in the USA has gone downhill, though. BADLY. I've never seen cars with 40K, 50K, 60K or more miles as I have over the last year or two (including LAX) with LOTS of damage on them. And getting assigned to them as a 5* member!

Rates have gone way up over the last few weeks at Hertz. Now, I am finding them most times to be double or more than Avis or National. I suggest everyone compare.

I did have an incident about a week ago at Hertz LAX where a return agent accused me of damaging their car. I ALWAYS take extensive pictures of their rent-a-wreck cars these days. I showed it to her. She didn't care nor did her manager. She still wrote me up for an accident report that I refused to sign. I was livid and still am. Two words "what's this" as she pointed to damage (SO unprofessional) that was already on their car completely turned me off from Hertz in seconds. I will use my PC status and shop it around to National and Avis for a status match. After I use up my extensive points with Hertz (and a some low priced rentals I have reserved over the next year), I'm gone. Two words ruined a lifelong relationship with that company. They also deleted my post on the Hertz Facebook page without a word of response. Incredible.

My best advice is STAY AWAY FROM HERTZ. You won't be happy. This company has a lot of problems right now that are going to take YEARS to fix. As one agent at LAX told me recently, "I think we've lost our mojo". They sure have.

Originally Posted by neodescis
This. When waiting after getting off the plane at LAX, I often see three Avis buses go by before a Hertz bus finally swings around. The cars I've gotten at LAX are far worse than any other location I've rented from. Cars in Gold Choice are bottom of the barrel. Customer service leaves much to be desired. Some (not all) Monday mornings, the line to exit the facility with my car has been horrendously long. The only positive is that I get to see the Lamborghini sitting there. One can dream!
I ALWAYS rent at LAX on weekdays in the morning after sunrise but before noon (including Mondays). I always check the lines and the Gold Choice at return out of curiosity, too. I have NEVER waited more than 4 cars deep with all 5 lanes open except once when the computers were down and we didn't get contracts at the Exit gate.

Over the summer, the cars in Gold Choice were mostly F or lower. Lately, I've been seeing a few minivans and pick-up trucks. Certainly nothing higher than an F otherwise, though. Last winter, they had convertibles in Gold Choice (and available for no upgrade charge through the Carfirmation).

What really bugs me is Carfirmation. I get offered cars to change to for no upgrade charge but lately I've been renting SUV's and nothing in my class or higher is being offered AT ALL...only cars which if I wanted them, I'd reserve them. I don't want to see them for a Carfirmation change.

Until recently, Hertz busses would come along as often as other car rental firms at LAX. But recently, Hertz busses have been few and far between (and packed both going to the airport and picking up at the terminals) at LAX.

The high mileage, cleanliness (I find it hard to believe that they put cards in Hertz cars saying it was cleaned by whomever and it's still filthy) and the damage to the cars I've never seen before the last couple of years. Hertz has really gone downhill. Hertz needs a complete management overhaul.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 22, 2014 at 5:35 am Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:56 pm
Suspended

I have always taken the Hertz points, they are very valuable in lieu of high priced rentals. However, the increased mileage bonuses appear to be compelling. How much will the frequent flyer surcharge be on each rental if you select the miles?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I'm completely thrilled with Avis. I book full size rentals and always get something VERY nice.

The least-impressive car I've had this year has been a Lincoln MKZ. I've had BMW 5-Series, Camaro SS, numerous Lincolns and Cadillacs ...

Very well treated indeed. No complaints here. Zero reason for me to look at Hertz PC.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
How much will the frequent flyer surcharge be on each rental if you select the miles?
It's currently $.75/day.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I will miss the Avis benefit from the Pres Plus card if it goes away, which it seems to be according to this link.

Program enrollment ends December 31, 2014. If you are enrolled by that date, you will still enjoy your President's Club benefits until December 31, 2015.
I use Avis a lot at a local location and always get a nice upgrade; hopefully the local office continues to like me and maybe will treat me to an upgrade anyway.

I use National for airport rentals and have done fine even with base-level Emerald Club level; I've arrived at BOS on a busy day and still been greeted by the station manager and invited to take any car from the regular Aisle or the Executive area because while they were busy, they had enough good cars for all the Emerald Club members with some to spare.

Hertz has closed the local edition office nearest me, then the next nearest one, then the one after that, leaving only a local edition location that's not local anymore or the airport for non-air-travel-related rentals--I had been very frequent with Hertz until then. Airport experience has been bad as well; everyone that was not Gold, never mind Five Star, got off the bus at CLT and was on their way while we waited and waited because the car wasn't in the stall with my name in lights like it was supposed to be. Similar problems in BOS. Even with a Hertz benefit, I'll stick with Avis and National, I think.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Good deal, although I do hope it's any other rental car company, as Hertz is almost always my last choice. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.