Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Zero chance for a free upgrade like that at Hertz. Status means nothing at Hertz.
So what will PC buy me ? Say I Book a full size and is supposed to get a Hyundai or Toyota Camry.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So what will PC buy me ? Say I Book a full size and is supposed to get a Hyundai or Toyota Camry.
Not going to get you an upgrade from an F most times. Highest (supposed to be guaranteed) upgrade now is from a standard to a full size for a PC. Camry is actually an upgrade if you book full size with Hertz. Normally in an FCAR (which I normally book), I get a Malibu, Altima, Impala, Avenger and sometimes a Camry.

I suggest you check out the Hertz forum on FT. Lots of us that are active Hertz posters can help answer your questions there. Most of us aren't too happy with Hertz these days, either.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I continue to be genuinely confused by why anyone called a "Gold" is waiting in line at a rental car place. Let alone a 30-minute one...
In a vast majority of cases, people's estimated wait times are dramatically exaggerated for effect. "30 minutes" is, in reality, more like a 8 minute wait. But especially for someone justifying another option, in their mind, it is 30 minutes.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow...my first employer used Hertz, 2nd used National and current one uses Avis. When I first came to Avis, I thought it was terrible and Hertz was much better. I guess Hertz has gone downhill. My Avis experience has been uneven - sometimes great, sometimes terrible.

Avis First is going away and no detail of the new program "Preferred Plus" has been announced. It sounds like it will be some kind of point program.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JC5280
In a vast majority of cases, people's estimated wait times are dramatically exaggerated for effect. "30 minutes" is, in reality, more like a 8 minute wait. But especially for someone justifying another option, in their mind, it is 30 minutes.
Okay, but why is someone with supposed status ever waiting in line at all?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Nevsky
If we lose our Avis Pres Club benefits, are there any other reasons to keep the PP Card over the Club Card? I can't think of any. Also, would it be necessary to keep the PP Card though 2015 to keep getting the Avis benefits, or will the enrollment stay in effect through 2015 regardless of whether one still has the card?
+1 Avis PC is only reason I keep this card. I think UC has gone way down and there are not any other benefits. I get almost 100% of time a Volvo or better car for price of a full size.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/...esidentialplus

It ends next year:

Looks like they are winding down the PP card bennies.
Good to know. They really are winding down the PP card bennies. At least we get one more year of Avis PC. After that I'll switch to the Club Card I guess.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Okay, but why is someone with supposed status ever waiting in line at all?
As I explained upthread - if they're short on cars, EVEN if the car size you booked (or one higher) is available, they may not put your name "on the board", and thus you have to go inside and wait.

It sucks, but that's Hertz for you. I have a dirt cheap CDP code so worth it for me.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Most of us aren't too happy with Hertz these days, either.
I can tell...
If Camry isn't even a full size than I should go back to the terrible Enterprise!

Thanks for the info tho!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by exerda
Hertz will get out of it the ability to market Platinum upsales to disgruntled PCs. Maybe they will even lower the price (they always have tried to get $900+ out of me for it).

This is good advice--but I am amazed that your Gold membership expired! It's long been a standby that Hertz never forces you to renew; once you're Gold, you're Gold forever has been the typical pattern.
Yeah I have been PC for like 4 years since I got the UA club card which gave me the Avis top tier and status matched to Hertz and have had it ever since. But last month on my LAX rental my name wasn't on the board and went inside where they said my status expired adn I'm like what? How does that work?

Oh well going to call when i get around to it but nice to know I'll get PC with UA now regardless.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Hertz PC is essentially useless for me the past year. Used to get pretty good upgrades, now my "upgrade" is a Camry. Last straw was Fort Lauderdale last month where I booked a midsize and they offered me some car I had never heard of. I asked if any upgrades were available and he said I could have a Chevy Cruze. Wow, I said, cancelled and went over to National. I've been much happier with the Executive Aisle in most places. I make a parallel reservation with Hertz now and then so see what's on offer. Like it it's mostly a Camry or something equally stellar. What also seems to be happening more is that my name isn't even on the board and I have to go talk to somebody (pass). That has happened the last three times at LAX.

Two to four years ago it was much better. Got a lexus suv in Hawaii, got a 3 series BMW at LAX. Nothing like that in years though.

I guess it's axiomatic that the more the offer PC, the more useless it becomes.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA G
Looks like National is indirectly confirming the exclusivity of the deal.

Effective November 1, 2014, United Airlines MileagePlus is no longer a participating partner with National Car Rental and the Emerald Club program. Due to this change, MileagePlus award miles have been discontinued as a rewards option for future rentals. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Because you selected United Airlines as your preferred travel partner, we have updated your preferences to earning Emerald Club credits. If you prefer to continue earning miles, please update your profile to choose one of our participating airline or hotel partners. If you would like to earn free rental days instead, there's no need to do anything at this time.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:42 am

Question November 1st has arrived!

So now what happens? Do we automatically see our status with Hertz get adjusted? Or do we need to register somewhere?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAATM
So now what happens? Do we automatically see our status with Hertz get adjusted? Or do we need to register somewhere?
No status until January.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'm going to share my experience from Nov 1st. I booked a 1 day rental at my home airport, Denver, for a full size car with Hertz. I usually book AVIS since I have the United PP MasterCard and always receive outstanding upgrades. Still, I'm Hertz PC and wasn't aware of recent changes to their "upgrade" program. I booked a full size car, and was assigned a Camry. I asked the booth agent if that reflected an upgrade and he said no, there are no upgrades from Full Size any longer. I asked about the Gold Choice options and he directed me to the stalls - 10 stalls - 7 empty, 1 Camry and 2 Altimas.

I asked if he had anything else I could exchange into, like an Escape or similar. Not without a $25/day upgrade fee. I asked if since I was using my AMEX Plat (which has a 1 car upgrade clause on Hertz.com that doesn't stipulate Full Size is the highest upgrade) - Nope.

So I had him cancel the reservation went to AVIS, booked Full, got Toyota 4Runner. Tweeted Hertz, they responded and after multiple back and forth Direct Messages, all I could get out of them was 'yes, that's our policy and we're sorry you were inconvenienced'.

Last time I ever visit Hertz. I have no issues with AVIS or National and they will get all my business going forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.