Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Why do people rent from Hertz? I've never found them anywhere close to being price competitive, is there some other value I'm missing? I'm certainly not going to tack $100+ on to my rental to score $5 in RDM.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 2, 2014 at 5:19 am Reason: off-topic; moved to more appropriate thread
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by raehl311
Why do people rent from Hertz? I've never found them anywhere close to being price competitive, is there some other value I'm missing? I'm certainly not going to tack $100+ on to my rental to score $5 in RDM.
Same here. Hertz is, without exception, the most expensive rental option available, so for business travel, it's automatically out, and a few RDMs aren't going to attract my personal travel.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Corporate code for a ~$35 daily rate anytime, anywhere...basically it for me
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JC5280
In a vast majority of cases, people's estimated wait times are dramatically exaggerated for effect. "30 minutes" is, in reality, more like a 8 minute wait. But especially for someone justifying another option, in their mind, it is 30 minutes.
It's like missing a single CPU all year and then saying you never get upgraded ...duck and run back under bridge....
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Does anyone have a list or thread on FT of Hertz discount codes?

Avis had decent ones like CitiBank customers, priceline, and Costco.

Since we are in PC they never checked
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Agree. Thrifty was clicking on all cylinders where I needed them just before Hertz bought 'em. Saw my name on monitor, put stuff in my assigned (cheap) car, stopped at exit gate, gone. I don't need big, fancy cars or upgrades. I need transportation. 15 rental days, one day free car. Works well for me.

Looks like Hertz is reducing Thrifty fleet and downgrading service. Hertz (nor the other biggies) was never competitive and the extra $ was hardly justified by the skimpy miles awarded. Even now, it's not worth it to people who don't travel on OPM or OPrealbargainCDP.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:56 am

latest email seems to claim you must use UA CDP

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
No you don't need the UA CDP to get the elite status bonus miles.
Apologies if this is elsewhere in this longish thread.

In a UA email I received today about this promo (the second or third email from them on this topic), the very first sentence of the fine print T&C in the email says:

"Discount code (CDP) 62455 and MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation."

So is this correct or not? If correct, the UA CDP is so pricey compared to most available to HVFs that all Hertz is really doing is driving you to a higher cost rental and then giving you a tiny rebate back with some additional miles. No doubt they come out ahead.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starman
Apologies if this is elsewhere in this longish thread.

In a UA email I received today about this promo (the second or third email from them on this topic), the very first sentence of the fine print T&C in the email says:

"Discount code (CDP) 62455 and MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation."

So is this correct or not? If correct, the UA CDP is so pricey compared to most available to HVFs that all Hertz is really doing is driving you to a higher cost rental and then giving you a tiny rebate back with some additional miles. No doubt they come out ahead.
+1 - that CDP is basically no different than a public rate. Even the AAA rate is better than UA.

This is a non-starter for me if I can't use my own non-UA CDP.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Does anyone have a list or thread on FT of Hertz discount codes?

Avis had decent ones like CitiBank customers, priceline, and Costco.

Since we are in PC they never checked
in the flyertalk hertz forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...rewards-423/):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...odes-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...-rqs-cdps.html
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
+1 - that CDP is basically no different than a public rate. Even the AAA rate is better than UA.

This is a non-starter for me if I can't use my own non-UA CDP.
I would agree. And I have a similar National code that even includes LDW.

But I found very good rates (better than AAA and waiving the drop fee) for one-ways in SFO (picking up in S San Francisco, dropping at airport) - and thus also avoiding the awful surcharge.

So this change is a mixed bag for me.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Okay, but why is someone with supposed status ever waiting in line at all?
Just happened again at DFW this week, not on the board & have to go inside. 3 out of last 4 trips. Can't get an answer why. Good times.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just happened again at DFW this week, not on the board & have to go inside. 3 out of last 4 trips. Can't get an answer why. Good times.
I suppose I just find it odd that the solution is a line. The closest thing that National has to screwing up is if there are no cars on the aisle (which has happened to me once, on a holiday weekend). Then, you just stand there for a few minutes and cars magically show up and you take one.

Is the Hertz concept that by the time you get to the front of the line, a car will be ready?

I just remain puzzled about why a line needs to be part of this at all.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I suppose I just find it odd that the solution is a line. The closest thing that National has to screwing up is if there are no cars on the aisle (which has happened to me once, on a holiday weekend). Then, you just stand there for a few minutes and cars magically show up and you take one.

Is the Hertz concept that by the time you get to the front of the line, a car will be ready?

Not having my name on the Hertz board has been a rare occurrence. I do wonder if someone just picks a car in the gold choice area (assuming there is a car located there) and goes to the exit if they would be OK.

Not having my name on the board would make me wonder if there was an active reservation/record which could be accessed when exiting the lot.

If it ever happens again I might try it...

Last edited by goodeats21; Nov 12, 2014 at 11:24 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
On November 1st I rented a car in Chicago for 1 day, and last night I got the 500 miles on my account. Nice ^
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: AADULtArer

I know that's stressful for you, but can I point out that technically it's a line segment?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.