Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Signed up on 1/1 and my account got updated to President Circle on 1/8. I rented a car in ROC last weekend and it reflected it. Got a new VW Jetta with 400 miles with Sirus radio.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
Program is off to a very inauspicious beginning

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Signed up on 1/1 and my account got updated to President Circle on 1/8. I rented a car in ROC last weekend and it reflected it. Got a new VW Jetta with 400 miles with Sirus radio.

I also applied 1/1 (see my previous post). So far no status. That sucks because I'm on my second rental of the year. No recognition, no upgrade.

I still have a year of Avis status left due to my presidential plus card. I threatened to go back to them on my last post. If I don't have status by my next rental (on 1/18) I'll get my car from Avis.

This program has been very poorly executed so far, IMO.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobH
I also applied 1/1 (see my previous post). So far no status. That sucks because I'm on my second rental of the year. No recognition, no upgrade.
To be fair, that sounds like my typical rental experience as a long-time Hertz President's Circle member.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
I lucked out at a small airport a few days before submitting my info via the Hertz link. I rented a C class but said I was supposed to be PC given UA's new agreement with Hertz. I showed the guy the webpage and my 1K card and he gave me an F class .
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Can anyone confirm that you have to use the UA CDP to get the UA points?
If so, this makes this Hertz upgrade to president's useless to me (even considering the UA points) and I suspect many others.

The National Status match (from Hertz) up to EXEC ELITE will be the main perk for many. (I had qualified anyway). National/Enterprise blows away the competition at the moment, particularly if your CDP is decent - I just rented an SUV (booked mid) 1 way on a 2 day rental and I earned a free rental day from the 'one two free' promo and a credit for a normal rental.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
I signed up for increased status on 1/1, and still have no update to my Hertz account.

Gave United a call and the representative on the phone said that it would take 4-6 weeks from time of sign-up to having it reflect in the account.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
Can anyone confirm that you have to use the UA CDP to get the UA points?
If so, this makes this Hertz upgrade to president's useless to me (even considering the UA points) and I suspect many others.
The promo ads, web page, and T&C very clearly state that the UA CDP must be used to get the new additional bonus; they do continue to credit miles without the bonus on other CDPs. For most people this makes the deal entirely useless; indeed, it's just a revenue generating scam for Hertz, who will collect a far higher rental rate in return for purchasing 750 extra miles from UA for a few pennies. However, there is at least one report upthread of gaining this new bonus using a non UA CDP. As everyone's situation (and memory!) differs, it would be nice to have multiple reports of this.

One odd footnote. On my last rental, just out of curiosity I tried the UA CDP versus my normal cheap ones, for a five day rental. Quite weirdly the UA CDP gave me a weekly rate, while all my others did not, so the UA rate actually was cheaper for me. And I did get the new bonus, although had to wait a full month after the rental for the extra 750 miles to be credited, after the basic 500, which appeared almost immediately.

Last edited by Starman; Jan 13, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by TexasTea
I signed up for increased status on 1/1, and still have no update to my Hertz account.

Gave United a call and the representative on the phone said that it would take 4-6 weeks from time of sign-up to having it reflect in the account.
I signed up on 1/8 and got the following message saying 3-5 business days.

Thanks for submitting your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Presidents Circle elite status request. We will review your information and respond within 3-5 business days.

For further details about this program, we invite you to visit http://www.united.com/hertz.

If you have an upcoming trip, don't forget to book your rental car with Hertz.

Please do not reply to this message using the "reply" address.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:36 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Exclamation How to expedite the upgrade with Hertz

Originally Posted by sanfran8080

I still have a year of Avis status left due to my presidential plus card. I threatened to go back to them on my last post. If I don't have status by my next rental (on 1/18) I'll get my car from Avis.

This program has been very poorly executed so far, IMO.
I applied, got an email from MileagePlus informing me it would take 3-5 business days. Those past. I called MileagePlus 1 K desk. They told me my application form had been submitted to Hertz and to wait more time. Not satisfied with that, I called the Hertz Gold 5 Star members desk. I was transferred to the desk that handles this status upgrade. I explained the situation to the rep., who told me that Hertz had not received a request from MileagePlus, so I should send an email to [email protected] with my Hertz gold# in the subject box and also "Mileage Plus Upgrade to President's Circle Status".

Then in the body of the email I gave my name, address, and MileagePlus number, along with the info. that as a 1 K I was still waiting to be upgraded and would appreciate that Hertz would expedite.

I sent the email to Hertz at 10:20 AM Central Time on Tues. 1/13.

I have not received a reply from Hertz, but did what the Hertz guy told me to do to expedite.

I will report back what happens, so check back later for an update

However, what others are reporting, National is better, so I am going to also try National and request a status match once I receive my Hertz President's Circle Upgrade. Then I will try National. I have also been using Payless on my own money, and the rates are very much lower than anyone else. I got a $9 per day rental recently for a fullsize. The car was new and clean. To pick up the car required a shuttle ride from the airport, less than 10 minutes, 5 minutes more than with Hertz.

Only one drawback, no MileagePlus Miles with Payless, but significant $ savings if paying out of one's own pocket. Payless does offer Southwest Airlines Rapid rewards credit, but I do not know if other airlines FF programs offer miles with Payless.

Last edited by mkr; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:52 am Reason: clarity
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:24 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkr
I applied, got an email from MileagePlus informing me it would take 3-5 business days. Those past. I called MileagePlus 1 K desk. They told me my application form had been submitted to Hertz and to wait more time. Not satisfied with that, I called the Hertz Gold 5 Star members desk. I was transferred to the desk that handles this status upgrade. I explained the situation to the rep., who told me that Hertz had not received a request from MileagePlus, so I should send an email to [email protected] with my Hertz gold# in the subject box and also "Mileage Plus Upgrade to President's Circle Status".

Then in the body of the email I gave my name, address, and MileagePlus number, along with the info. that as a 1 K I was still waiting to be upgraded and would appreciate that Hertz would expedite.

I have not received a reply from Hertz, but did what the Hertz guy told me to do to expedite. I will report back what happens.

However, what others are reporting, National is better, so I am going to also try National and request a status match once I receive my Hertz President's Circle Upgrade. Then I will try National. I have also been using Payless on my own money, and the rates are very much lower than anyone else. I got a $9 per day rental recently for a fullsize.

Thanks for this summary. I'm interested to hear how this plays out. My 3-5 days have also passed, and I'm waiting, and not surprised that a United program isn't delivering as expected.

My company policy pushes me to Hertz, but until recently I had been using National, and I would definitely recommend them over Hertz. Better vehicle options, easier process for switching cars, and significantly newer cars. Hertz really seems to have the beat up high mileage cars from other companies.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Maybe someone has asked this already - if I book through 3rd party OTA or hidden deals do i still qualify for miles ?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:40 am
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Exclamation One does NOT need to book through UA.com

Originally Posted by 787fan
Maybe someone has asked this already - if I book through 3rd party OTA or hidden deals do i still qualify for miles ?
According to "Frequently Asked Questions" about this new program:

"How can I earn the increased mileage offer with Hertz?
Earning MileagePlus miles with Hertz is easy; members just need to add their MileagePlus number to their car rental reservation when they book through united.com, Hertz.com, a travel agency or any other channel. Miles can be earned on car rentals picked up at any airport or off-airport location."
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:07 am
mkr
Suspended

Exclamation MileagePlus & Hertz Gold seem to blame the other for delays in Hertz status upgrades!

On Tues. Jan 19, I reported how to supposedly expedite the upgrades to 5 Star or President's Circle status. (see copy of post below). I said I would report back.

It has been over 24 hrs. since Hertz informed me they would "expedite" the upgrade to PC status. I checked my Hertz Gold account, and no upgrade in status has occurred, and I have not received an email response from Hertz.

When I spoke to the MileagePlus 1K desk, they blamed Hertz for the delay.

The Hertz rep. had informed me that Hertz had NOT received the request from MileagePlus for my upgrade to PC status.

Which do YOU think is not being truthful here?
AND WHY?
Perhaps each request has to be personally reviewed by J. Smisek?

Originally Posted by mkr

I sent the email to Hertz at 10:20 AM Central Time on Tues. 1/13.

I have not received a reply from Hertz, but did what the Hertz guy told me to do to expedite.

I will report back what happens, so check back later for an update

However, what others are reporting, National is better, so I am going to also try National and request a status match once I receive my Hertz President's Circle Upgrade. Then I will try National. I have also been using Payless on my own money, and the rates are very much lower than anyone else. I got a $9 per day rental recently for a fullsize. The car was new and clean. To pick up the car required a shuttle ride from the airport, less than 10 minutes, 5 minutes more than with Hertz.

Only one drawback, no MileagePlus Miles with Payless, but significant $ savings if paying out of one's own pocket. Payless does offer Southwest Airlines Rapid rewards credit, but I do not know if other airlines FF programs offer miles with Payless.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i forwarded the united "we've received your request for PC status" email to golddataentry@hertz (thanks for the tip, mkr!), along with all of my pertinents. here's what i received this morning:

Dear riphamilton,

Your inquiry regarding your Hertz Gold status has been forwarded to me for review.

I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding the United program. The Hertz/United Program is a separate program that is not performed through Hertz. Any additional inquiry should be directed to United directly at 1-800-421-4655 or via the United website.

I appreciate the opportunity of clarifying this matter. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,

Code:
CS
Customer Correspondence Administrator
OKC Customer Services
The Hertz Corporation
at this point, i'm going to assume nobody we can actually contact will be able/willing to help us. i simply won't use hertz for my upcoming trips.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:59 am
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by riphamilton
i forwarded the united "we've received your request for PC status" email to golddataentry@hertz (thanks for the tip, mkr!), along with all of my pertinents. here's what i received this morning:

at this point, i'm going to assume nobody we can actually contact will be able/willing to help us. i simply won't use hertz for my upcoming trips.
It appears that folks at MileagePlus and Hertz Gold are running around with their heads stuffed somewhere else.

As I pointed out in post #223 upthread, they seem to be blaming each other for the delays in the upgrades to 5 Star or PC status.

In my opinion, this is just another case of UA making promises it is not logistically prepared to fulfill. The 3-5 business days MileagePlus promised me for the upgrade are now past 7 days. Still no upgrade. The Hertz promise to me to "expedite" still has not come through.

THE ONLY report in this forum of a successful upgrade in Hertz status so far is from sanfran8080 upthread in post #211.

As I stated earlier, I think J. Smisek must be personally reviewing all applications, thus the delay.

Last edited by mkr; Jan 15, 2015 at 7:00 am Reason: clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.