Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles – MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles – MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles – Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles – MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:19 pm
Suspended

You're prob right. I'm just trying to be proactive since I have a bunch of reservations after 1/1/15...any bump up to Presidents Circle would be a plus
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Any opinions on the relative value of miles vs. gold points?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Interesting decision. I would say that if AA did this, it would be with Avis Budget group. However, I think AA is smarter to give choice rather than an exclusive tie up.

I wonder if Firefly will join one day?

I also find Hertz expensive at airports, but I know they do a lot of corporate contracts.

Rasheed
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:39 pm

I was Hertz PC pre 2009. Back then it was good...plenty of Prestige upgrades.

But keep reading it's gone downhill.

Enjoyed Avis PC more recently thanks to Pres Plus - 50/50 on automatic upgrades but about 90% if I ask nicely at the counter to get the upgrade benefit.

My question - current Hertz PCs - what is your luck at the counter getting them to honor the upgrade if the automatic assignment was poor?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Car rental miles more valuable source for mileage?

With the anticipated mileage earn rate change from flying in 2015, car rental might provide the best source for United Mileage Plus miles.

I think this change is a win for most of us, despite reduced earn for flying beginning March 2015.

Personally, I don't know why they did this. Why would they reduce our earn for actual flying (for most passengers) while maintaining the mileage earn for rental.

Jiburi
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Any opinions on the relative value of miles vs. gold points?
As usual, depends on travel pattern.

I have had great success with Hertz points for free rentals. I tend to use them for one-way rentals for drives to neighboring airports when I can't find availability from home. I used them several times to drive up to DTW to pick up LH flight.

Other then that, I don't have a need to rent cars. Carrying a large balance is not very important to me.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I'm both a National EE & Avis PC member. Been a Hertz PC for years until last year and I have no regret. Although the benefits vary mostly based on the rental location, I personally would rank Avis > National > Hertz in terms of upgrade availability. For my past 5 previous rentals (all leisure travel) at Avis, I booked a full-size, and I got at least double upgraded to three Bimmer (X5, X3 & 328), Caddy (XTS) and Volvo (XC60). My company uses National so for a majority of my business rental I just pick any car in their Executive area and I've always got decent full-size or above cars. But even as a Hertz PC member, I only occasionally got some good upgrades. Now I only use Hertz when I want to rent a car from its dream car selection at LAX/LAS/MIA and a PC membership didn't really help in any way.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by JDS747
As a 1K like me I can't think of any other reasons not to switch to the Club Card if we lose Avis Pres Club. In fact the only reason I haven't switched is because of Avis Pres Club. I have over 20,000 FEQM so those are basically worthless to me. Those that aren't 1K would have to weigh the loss of the FEQM though. Those might be much more valuable to them.

If we lose Avis Pres Club due to this I will switch to the Club Card as the 1.5x miles p/$ will be worth more to me at that point.
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/...esidentialplus

It ends next year:

Program enrollment ends December 31, 2014. If you are enrolled by that date, you will still enjoy your President's Club benefits until December 31, 2015.
Looks like they are winding down the PP card bennies.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is there any reason to dump National Executive for this?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Is there any reason to dump National Executive for this?
I don't think so, unless you frequent a particular airport that happens to have less than stellar service with National. That said, I like Hertz at the small locations such as Wyoming or Montana.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
What's the chance of getting a BMW/Fun Car with presidents circle? At Avis I got a BMW/Fun Car 50% of the time at the counter. I would usually rent either a Premium or Luxury car depending on where the price jumps.

40% of the time I would get a Lincoln or a Cadillac, 10% of the time I get the same car I requested w/ or w/o an upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
As a Hertz PC for this year (20+ stays) just know that it's very, very underwhelming.
Exactly. Except for "thanks for being PC member" at the check-out gate, it is very rare to get an upgrade or to have any Hertz employee give a hoot that you're PC.

Marriott<->UA relationship is much better.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
What's the chance of getting a BMW/Fun Car with presidents circle? At Avis I got a BMW/Fun Car 50% of the time at the counter. I would usually rent either a Premium or Luxury car depending on where the price jumps.

40% of the time I would get a Lincoln or a Cadillac, 10% of the time I get the same car I requested w/ or w/o an upgrade.
Zero chance for a free upgrade like that at Hertz. Status means nothing at Hertz.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
to be honest, in my last hertz Rental in San Diego, the line was backed up so far as a gold, then after 30 minutes, I just called Uber. While I has a terrific rate at Hertz, I also had parking charges at the hotel and so Uber was simply faster and cheaper.

I've not seen a terrific value delivery behind the PC status.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
I continue to be genuinely confused by why anyone called a "Gold" is waiting in line at a rental car place. Let alone a 30-minute one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.