Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles – MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles – MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles – Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles – MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by CalItalian
My best advice is STAY AWAY FROM HERTZ. You won't be happy. This company has a lot of problems right now that are going to take YEARS to fix. As one agent at LAX told me recently, "I think we've lost our mojo". They sure have.
Hertz LAX is why I now almost exclusively rent from National (at least in the US). I got tired of their tired cars and snarky agents.

Everybody's mileage may vary, but I actually compare rates between National and Hertz every time I rent (in various cities), and in nearly every case, National is significantly cheaper, and I always get a better car.

That being said, I've also given up on National at LAX, now that I've discovered Silvercar. Not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for and then some.

Greg
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
For those who have never PC with Hertz, I've run the full gambit... regular, 5*, PC, and eventually Platinum. The only status worth anything at Hertz is Platinum, and it's invitation only (and for awhile they were charging almost 2k for it). Any other status at Hertz gets you just another [junk], high mileage car and terrible customer service.

Originally Posted by greg99
now that I've discovered Silvercar. Not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for and then some.
Heck yes. Silvercar has been an incredible experience every time. They also have some great promo codes for cheap rentals floating around every so often.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 22, 2014 at 5:38 am Reason: profanity removed, multi-qoute
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by redii
Heck yes. Silvercar has been an incredible experience every time. They also have some great promo codes for cheap rentals floating around every so often.
It's an interesting phenomenon (and borderline OT for this thread).

I'm tied to UA and *A because I'm a 1K MM.

But when it comes to hotels and rental cars, I book for value (not necessarily cheapest, but best for the money) and I mostly ignore frequent stay/elite programs, because I'm mid-tier in nearly all of them from various credit cards and see marginal benefits at best.

"Upgrading" me from Hertz 5* to PC really isn't going to change my rental behavior, because there's no meaningful uptick in my travel experience. I pay a tiny bit more (and sometimes less) for Silvercar because they pick me up, drop me off and always give me a clean A4 with all the gadgets, no upsells.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to finally wake up, smell the coffee and move into that mode for my air travel, too...

Greg
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
my rental (reserved G months ago, got F6 camry) from hertz at SRQ today:

exterior isn't much better. office did their best to discourage me from exchanging, and i was in a rush so i didn't feel like arguing. looked like they only had compacts and suv/minivans anyways.

@hertz on twitter gave me.... drumroll please.... 250 points.

i'm done with them as my default choice.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Base on my 10+ times a year experience HERTZ LAX is the worst Rental location in the world. Always mess ups and long lines at the gold counter. Customer service there also stinks.
I would claim that IAD is the worst, but I live in LA so I don't rent here. It's especially bad since they started rebuilding the main building and were running everybody (gold or not) through the tiny little gold shack. After the second time I got off the bus and had to wait in line I switched to Avis and have been much happier.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Bad news for us Presidential Plus MC people - Avis President's Club perk is ending:

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/...esidentialplus
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by neodescis
This. When waiting after getting off the plane at LAX, I often see three Avis buses go by before a Hertz bus finally swings around. The cars I've gotten at LAX are far worse than any other location I've rented from. Cars in Gold Choice are bottom of the barrel. Customer service leaves much to be desired. Some (not all) Monday mornings, the line to exit the facility with my car has been horrendously long. The only positive is that I get to see the Lamborghini sitting there. One can dream!
Interesting. I've generally had the exact opposite experience at LAX: lots of Hertz buses going by while I wait and wait and wait for Avis.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Hmmmm I'm Hertz Platinum does that give me GS for UA

I feel bad for all the PCs that had to rent 40x a year, then it went to 20x... now it goes to 0 with a magic credit...

Im waiting for UA to issue a credit card that gives instant 1K to piss that group off next. I'm sure UA gold members feel extra special as they board with the other 75 credit card holders in group 2. Devalue your own FF program then move onto someone else's... real classy UA
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I am just Hertz Gold and Avis PP, but IME, I have found that the discounts and upgrades with the USAA codes consistently give among the best rates.

I have no loyalty to any program however, so I go with the cheapest quote. I find that carrentals.com often beats the CDPs I have access to by a bunch.

For instance, I needed a car res, two weeks ago at LAX, for a full size, 4 days, with a drop-off at SNA. Hertz was ~$180 AI with the discounts, Alamo, booked off of carrentals.com was ~$76- AI for a pick-any-full-size-on-the-lot option. I picked a brand new Impala and was quite pleased. Price differentials like this are very common nowadays, and I just go for the best deal that gets me the car I want.

I can't really see any benefit with loyalty to a rental car program anymore when there is so much competition.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:55 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I would have expected CC holders to get 5* but not presidents circle
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hmm. To get the benefits, you have to book through UA.com, which I find to often have higher prices than direct book. The tie-up doesn't extend to Thrifty, which has far better prices (even w/ rates rising recently w/ Hertz's purchase of same). Another UA tie-up that I won't use. This is definitely a deal for people who rent on OPM.
I just took the CDP and PC from UA to Hertz website. Turned out the C ICAR and D SCAR in UA after Hertz.

YMMV.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
IME Hertz is usually the most expensive of all the major rental companies.
Same here in Israel. I almost always use Avis or Eldan (Israel rental company). Hertz is never competitive. And they also seem to never have cars, which means they're either really popular with business travelers that they feel no need to lower their prices OR they really don't give a rat's tushie about their Israeli options, fleet or fare.

Now this is just sheer silliness. With National, you can pick whichever car you like. So feel free to grab the midsize, I'll grab the fullsize or better

Do you turn down hotel upgrades as well? "Keep your oceanview suite, I insist on the twin courtyard view."
While I agree with the sentiment of choosing your own car means you can choose whatever you want, you can't compare rental upgrades to airplane or hotel upgrades.

There's no downside to sitting in F/C over Y or having a better hotel room.
But if I reserved a smaller car, I don't necessarily want a larger car, especially a car that will have worse mileage, meaning it'll end costing me more to use the "free" upgrade at the pump.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a Hertz PC member, I never understood what it was meant to give over 5*. Now, with this new deal, I get fewer miles than before.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Well, this will be nice during the very rare times that I won't use National. I've been Executive for a number of years and enjoy choosing my own car as well as the types of cars I've usually been able to secure. Having said that, my true hometown airport is CMH... the pit of Hell for National. Usually I fly to CLE just to avoid it since there National is a corporate location and also CLE gets mainline service on UA (ex hub after all). So, for those times I just don't want to bother with the 2 hours drive from CLE to Columbus I can see using this at Hertz... they are still a car dealer owned franchise at CMH BUT at least they have Toyota and VW in the fleet, CMH National is your favorite color of Chevrolet... no way Jose!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
As I work for Hertz and get miles on my employee rates, this will be great.
I wonder what my boss will say when I flash the PC card in his face next year...haha. Can't wait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.