Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
As I work for Hertz and get miles on my employee rates, this will be great.
I wonder what my boss will say when I flash the PC card in his face next year...haha. Can't wait
Priceless.

For the rest of us, do you have any nice CDP codes to share ? :-)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by u600213
Priceless.

For the rest of us, do you have any nice CDP codes to share ? :-)
I can't remember them, but I can PM you later when I'm at the office
Though 960366 and 824500 give 20% on many rates.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Have been Hertz PC for years but now switching to Avis because of change in my company's contract (which gives me Avis First). My favorite program was National Exec Elite years ago - best of everything. Hertz has been a mixed bag - depends on where you rent, but really don't expect agent recognition, worthwhile upgrades or anything notably better than 5*. I've rented at locations that had PC designated spots but my car wasn't in one and I've had plenty of high mileage un-upgraded cars. I guess you should just keep your expectations low unless you have plenty of time to argue at the counter.

A few suggestions if you're new to Hertz (probably applies to other companies as well): Call Reservations before the date of your first rental, and anytime you have a new cc number, etc., and make sure everything's showing okay (credit card number, DL number, etc.) If anything's not right, you'll be kicked out to the counter. I once had to go to the counter because my Hertz Gold membership had expired (?) and didn't automatically renew. Also, I rent for business using my company Amex card and for personal travel with my MP Club Card, and have my Amex card listed as my primary card. When reserving for personal travel, there's a place where you can designate your alternate card. Even when I've done so, it has sometimes defaulted to the corporate card.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by exerda
Nice, given I was a rental short of President's Circle for next year (though I was going to just rent a car locally for the shortfall). Of course, that means President's Circle will be even more worthless now than it already is..
^ Bingo, PC was already in decline. What I don't see in this "partnership" are the benefits to Hertz President's Circle members over at United. This seems like a one-way deal which only benefits UA elites.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
^ Bingo, PC was already in decline. What I don't see in this "partnership" are the benefits to Hertz President's Circle members over at United. This seems like a one-way deal which only benefits UA elites.
Hertz will get out of it the ability to market Platinum upsales to disgruntled PCs. Maybe they will even lower the price (they always have tried to get $900+ out of me for it).

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
If anything's not right, you'll be kicked out to the counter. I once had to go to the counter because my Hertz Gold membership had expired (?) and didn't automatically renew. Also, I rent for business using my company Amex card and for personal travel with my MP Club Card, and have my Amex card listed as my primary card. When reserving for personal travel, there's a place where you can designate your alternate card. Even when I've done so, it has sometimes defaulted to the corporate card.
This is good advice--but I am amazed that your Gold membership expired! It's long been a standby that Hertz never forces you to renew; once you're Gold, you're Gold forever has been the typical pattern.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
That's insane. At national, you never have to wait in line at a full-size (airport, etc.) location. And that's true even if you're just an emerald club person with no status. I don't get how National exists and yet you people put up with this stuff.
Because it so seldom happens. In a couple years as Avis Pres Club, I had only one instance where the car wasn't ready (they were almost sold out, it too was LAX).

I've also had one instance at National where there was exactly one (1) car on the aisle. So much for "choosing" your own car. If there's only one option, it's not exactly a choice. I wonder what happened to the next guy who came after me -- maybe he had to pick from the non-Emerald area.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Indeed. It's remarkable to me that anyone would disagree about National's superiority, and I am inclined to think it just be a matter of ignorance. But whatever, more cars for me to choose from.
As a National Executive, I find the cars I get from Avis are more loaded than what I usually get at National. Plus I more often get premium upgrades (e.g., Volvo, BMW, Cadillac).

And with Hertz's Gold Choice and Avis's Select & Go at major locations, the pick your own car concept is hardly unique anymore. If you don't want the car assigned to you in the email, you just walk to the Select & Go area and pick a different one, National style.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
If we lose our Avis Pres Club benefits, are there any other reasons to keep the PP Card over the Club Card? I can't think of any. Also, would it be necessary to keep the PP Card though 2015 to keep getting the Avis benefits, or will the enrollment stay in effect through 2015 regardless of whether one still has the card?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
at 47 rentals YTD, my yearly rental average is usually over one per week. i wonder if this will actually change what i notice in my upgrades or if it's just a lot of fear and gloom.

don't have much hope anyway though, the cars i was getting for my UGs were getting crappier even before any of this anyway. oh well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
nice... this will change me from National.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
You know what... this deal is complete garbage to me. Silver (what does that count for these days... BEIGE is more like it).

Hertz is always by far pricing themselves out of the market and I've had some nasty cars from Thrifty/Dollar... yeah I'm a 100% leisure traveler elite paying for F when it's offered and my preferred brand is Alamo/National and you know what... fine I won't be paying stinking $2.50 a day or whatever it is for miles any more.

The deal is useless to me and now I have to find some better provider of codes. Thanks for the load of ****. Good BLAH.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:43 pm
Suspended

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz

I'm a hertz 5star.... What do I need to do so my profile updates as a PC.... I'm a 1k and MP club holder
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I'm a hertz 5star.... What do I need to do so my profile updates as a PC.... I'm a 1k and MP club holder
Ummmm, read the Wiki at the top of the page.

"Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:...."
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nevsky
If we lose our Avis Pres Club benefits, are there any other reasons to keep the PP Card over the Club Card? I can't think of any. Also, would it be necessary to keep the PP Card though 2015 to keep getting the Avis benefits, or will the enrollment stay in effect through 2015 regardless of whether one still has the card?
As a 1K like me I can't think of any other reasons not to switch to the Club Card if we lose Avis Pres Club. In fact the only reason I haven't switched is because of Avis Pres Club. I have over 20,000 FEQM so those are basically worthless to me. Those that aren't 1K would have to weigh the loss of the FEQM though. Those might be much more valuable to them.

If we lose Avis Pres Club due to this I will switch to the Club Card as the 1.5x miles p/$ will be worth more to me at that point.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Understood...but how do you sign up? I called Hertz and they had no clue.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Understood...but how do you sign up? I called Hertz and they had no clue.
Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015 .... may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status .....
probably not in place yet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.