Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:12 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
82,000 miles is still worth $500.
Indeed. Worth 3x $500 by my estimation. But hforeman has a shot at just $200 I think.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:13 pm

I know 82K miles is worth $500 but an increase in $300 in 3 weeks is crazy when I was quoted in writing it would be $200.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hforeman
I know 82K miles is worth $500 but an increase in $300 in 3 weeks is crazy when I was quoted in writing it would be $200.
You can try that and maybe you'll get it. But, I'm pretty sure the answer you got was what it cost when you asked the question and that was the intent of the representative. They have no authority to say that fee is good forever, and frankly, unreasonable to expect that. Since you prefer to procrastinate, you now have to find someone who will make an exception instead of taking the original valid offer with no hassle.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:31 pm

Didn't prefer to procrastinate, I was laid off of my job and let them know that I would re-initiate in 3 weeks which is what I did, thanks for your pessimistic remark though. Don't feel it an unreasonable request 3 weeks later.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't prefer to procrastinate, I was laid off of my job and let them know that I would re-initiate in 3 weeks which is what I did, thanks for your pessimistic remark though. Don't feel it an unreasonable request 3 weeks later.
If I go to a store and ask how much something is, I can't go back to the store 3 weeks later and demand the same price unless I have a contract for that price and timeframe. My guess is your $200 offer has no "good until" date on it, which means it's only valid at the time the offer was made. Good luck on getting the $200 deal, though - at least you have the communication showing you were thinking about it prior to the price change, even though you didn't act on it.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [2014-15] {changed fees Feb 2015}

Prices of various items from various places change all the time. I remember when I could get gas for <$1.00 a gallon. But I can't get that anymore. In fact, ~a month or two ago, I saw gas advertised at $1.89/gallon on the board. But when I came back a day or two later, it was $2.19. Guess what I ended up paying? You can say the same thing for groceries, restaurants, financial services, plane tickets, hotel rooms, etc., etc.

I really don't see how this is any different. Ranting is one thing, but complaining to a manager to honor the price from several days ago because you didn't pull the trigger on something you knew you would need to spend on seems a little ridiculous. And it's really only yourself you have to blame.

Perhaps I sound a little mean. But I've had similar things happen to me, and while I might be upset, I usually sick it up and move on.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:29 pm

Guess you would need to see the email chain to get the complete picture. I understand prices increase, not ranting, just trying to have then honor a price quoted when I stated when it would be purchased. Never tried the forum route so thought I would give it a try.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess you would need to see the email chain to get the complete picture. I understand prices increase, not ranting, just trying to have then honor a price quoted when I stated when it would be purchased. Never tried the forum route so thought I would give it a try.
The representative probably doesn't know about price changes until they come down the line. Just as a gas station attendant doesn't know when a price will change. The UA representative never guaranteed a price (and is in no position to do so) - he/she told you what it currently was with the information he/she had. There is no binding contract. If the e-mail chain had a guarantee that the price would be $200 when you finally got around to pulling the trigger, you'd have a legal argument. The language of the letter probably indicates a current price with no guarantee of price in future. Your hope is that someone bends the rules and accommodates you based on the interest expressed in your initial inquiry, not because it was promised.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Has anyone had any luck getting miles reinstated after getting an unposted transaction to post?

In mid January, I made a purchase through Mileage Plus Shopping on iTunes, knowing I had miles that would expire. I then promptly forgot to check to see if they posted. They did not and I lost the miles.

I have first gone to Mileage Plus Shopping to get them to post the miles, but then I'm wondering if United will honor that and reinstate them? I'm hopeful that MPShopping will back date it so I don't have to fight with United about it not being a new posting but a correction.

Anyone know if United is going to fight me on this or if it might be simple to correct?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paterwdb
Has anyone had any luck getting miles reinstated after getting an unposted transaction to post?
yes -- examples in the following threads (warning - they are long threads)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old May 11, 2015, 6:40 pm

My highschooler had 3k miles expired on Apr 1st?

My highschooler had 3k miles expired on Apr 1st?
Kid has eMiles program and enough for a transfer
We just forgot about it

Will United reverse?

Why don't they send an email alert?

Last edited by sciconf; May 11, 2015 at 7:01 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 7:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sciconf
My highschooler had 3k miles expired on Apr 1st Will United reverse?
Probably not, but 3k miles ≈ $57 ∴ why care?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:37 am

Does anyone know how long it takes to reinstate miles? I paid $500 to reinstate ~90k miles and I'd like to book a trip using those miles in the next few days!

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Ufhhh just saw that I had 16k miles expires at the end of March.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:28 am

June 2015 United Airlines policy on expired MileagePlus miles reinstatement

[Update on 1 Septmeber 2015: I was told that about a week ago United changed their "register and fly" mileage reinstatement fee to $500 -- a large increase over the previous $200 fee.]
------------------------------

FYI, the information I received today (24 June 2015):

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated:

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated. Visit http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles3.jsp .

Register and fly - Register for $200 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United, United Express, Copa, including flights operated by Copa Airlines Colombia. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center.

Last edited by Ketone; Sep 1, 2015 at 9:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.