Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:29 am

Does anyone know, for the register and fly challenge, if it's acceptable for there to be one United operated leg in each direction? I have a ticket booked, 3 segments each way, with the long haul segment on United metal. Or do all segments have to be operated by United?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Varus50
Does anyone know, for the register and fly challenge, if it's acceptable for there to be one United operated leg in each direction? I have a ticket booked, 3 segments each way, with the long haul segment on United metal. Or do all segments have to be operated by United?
All segments have to be operated by UA or United Express. Otherwise what is purpose of a UA challenge?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
All segments have to be operated by UA or United Express. Otherwise what is purpose of a UA challenge?
No they don't. Just got a response from my email to Mileage Plus and they confirmed the trip would qualify as long as one segment each way is operated by United.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Varus50
No they don't. Just got a response from my email to Mileage Plus and they confirmed the trip would qualify as long as one segment each way is operated by United.
If I were you, I would call UA to confirm.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:38 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Can these fares have be booked in Amy class? Including basic?
Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Can these fares have be booked in Amy class? Including basic?
Thanks!
Assume you are referring to the reinstatement by signing up for the "take a flight and reinstatement for a small fee" promo.
No one has posted the full T&Cs so there is no definitive set of conditions to point -- and definitively not a recent set. (If you do this, it would be help if you post the rules).

It is generally assumed (before BE) that any paid fare would work. BE might be a risk. But BE is so new, actual experiences will be very limited, one could only speculate.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: essentially all
royally screwed by united mileage expiration

due partly to various distractions, i discovered united expired 1M miles on 8/1, a lifetime of flying.

i discovered this trying to book a flight to a funeral in london (which happened today). (the run-up to this funeral is part of the reason for my inattention to details such as managing my frequent flier account.)

they market to me every day, but did not tell me the miles were expiring. "With 1,046,492 miles, you can drive away in style and escape to a luxury location." they tell me 2 weeks before they expire. nowhere a hint or a red flag or a courtesy email.

the manila call center is not useful. "it's your responsibility to track this stuff". they would not even let me book a reward ticket to the funeral.

and if i had paid to reinstate 700k miles, i would definitely forfeit the remaining 3480k miles. i see there's a challenge if i pay $100 and book a united ticket shortly, but it will only get back 700k miles.

united said with a death certificate they might reconsider the stuation that i've been a bit distracted recently. no, they wouldn't accept a facebook posting on the departed's page. not modern enough, i guess. i suppose i could be faking it.

here's the even more wonderful thing: though i had 3 hertz rentals in may 2016 and august 2016 which were not credited to any airline. hertz today refused to credit those because they are more than 12 months old (one of them too old by about 10 days, by their reconing). hertz has a 12 month window, united has an 18 month window. sigh.

i have a united credit card (and many others). i've just been using the others, sigh. and my star alliance travel was all credited to my turkish account during the last 18 months. all hotel activity direct-paid by my clients.

any helpful suggestions from you smart people at this point? it just seems completely unreasonable for both for hertz and united to act this way.

(aside from just kill myself right now because i "should" have been on top of this game as well as dealing with everything else in real life. how did i get on this treadmill?)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2017 at 7:10 pm Reason: merged into master thread
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, mseiden!

Originally Posted by mseiden
united said with a death certificate they might reconsider the stuation
That sounds reasonable.

they wouldn't accept a facebook posting on the departed's page.
Makes perfect sense since anyone can post anything on Facebook.

i have a united credit card
Are you sure it's current? Having a United credit card, whether you use it or not, should exempt you from mileage expiration.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... i have a united credit card (and many others). ....

Go to your account summary and look for the mileage expiration date. Hover on the date, does it say
Thank you for being a Chase MileagePlus cardmember. Your miles will not expire as long as your credit card account is active, your annual membership fee has been paid and the card is not in default. Upon cancellation of your credit card account, your miles will expire in accordance with the MileagePlus program rules.
Have you not made a single use of the card in the last 18 months? but have paid the annual fee?
What Chase MP card do you have?

... any helpful suggestions from you smart people at this point? it just seems completely unreasonable for both for hertz and united to act this way. ....
Have move your post into this thread, give the thread's wiki a read for more ideas -- but you have hit the major approaches already.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:22 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
Just learned when checking mileage for my son that his 20k miles expired a week ago. Shame on me for not keeping on top of it. 18 mos is a short time frame in my opinion. I'm currently asking Marriott to credit UA miles for a stay made a month ago. The United CSR said that should do the trick. I maintain miles for 4 of us and was a bit distracted as of late. It was better when Award Wallet had all the air/hotels dialed in. but again, I need to be more proactive. We'll see if my request works w/ Marriott giving UAL credit for a stay at Marriott in my husband's name for my son's UA account. My son has the same middle name as my hubby. Holding my breath. I can't believe the CSR wouldn't reinstate since it's only been 7 days they expired. Sheesh. As if I needed another reason to DISLIKE United.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:38 am
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
Now half way there

I got an email from Marriott saying they'll credit the miles to UAL Mileage Plus and it should be available in 5 days. I hope this works. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by T Q
I'll keep you all posted.

I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Hyatt & IHG
Seeking advice to resume mileage credits

Good Morning,
I track all of my families travel accounts. My husband had 65K mileage accumulation with United until July 2017. I did not realize this mileage would expire at this time. Is there any way I can retrieve this mileage? Is there anyone I can contact?

We were looking to use his mileage to take our daughter to Disneyland or a trip to Germany.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sandra
sandratravels
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by sandratravels
I track all of my families travel accounts. My husband had 65K mileage accumulation with United until July 2017. I did not realize this mileage would expire at this time. Is there any way I can retrieve this mileage? Is there anyone I can contact?
There is a link to "Reinstate miles" on the Mileage Plus website.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
There is a link to "Reinstate miles" on the Mileage Plus website.
Here is the link: Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Good luck sandratravels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.