Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Making them whole means A-B, without details of the hyphen /dash. Thats what you buy on a ticket (and I assume on a award ticket, but confess I've never read the CoC on award travel). OP has full refund option of course.

Appreciate that flying to experience another carrier is far outlying behaviour despite it being common here on FT. No one will get traction with DOT or legal angle on this other than to build their frustration level.
I appreciate that is the likely legal position. However it doesn't make it right, nor would it likely be permissible in any other industry not exempted from state level consumer protection law.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by alex_b
I appreciate that is the likely legal position. However it doesn't make it right, nor would it likely be permissible in any other industry not exempted from state level consumer protection law.
I think they should try to get the OP on the metal originally booked. I might be leery of going through the process again..

Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
Okay, I hadn't seen anything about that on airlineroute.net
It seems a little strange to switch to the 748 less than a year after they started flying the 773ER to SFO. If they knew that the 748 was coming soon, why not just keep the 744 to SFO until the 748 is available?

Air China's 744 is really dated...oh wait! so are the UA 744s!

Air China seems to be focused on revamping its international fleet and services and want to compete with others for premium passengers. I think the 773ER is a welcome change from the old 744s. Some of my clients have switched to CA 773ER from flying UA 744 on this route. The 744s have been re-assigned to fly PEK-SHA high-density domestic routes.

Air China has been expanding its international route network including start PEK-IAD service using the 773ER later this year.

As a UA loyalist for 23 years and a past Air China critic, Air China has really impressed me recently (I was too stubborn to try Air China and admit its improvenmet), and if it was not for GS benefits, I'd be choosing to fly Air China more to JFK and IAD (second half of the year).
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1k
Making them whole means A-B, without details of the hyphen /dash. Thats what you buy on a ticket (and I assume on a award ticket, but confess I've never read the CoC on award travel). OP has full refund option of course.
If losing my reservation was due to a situation beyond their control, I might agree with you. One might even go as far as saying your remedy should apply if United was ignorant of the issue. However, if there is an ongoing scam of which United is aware (and they told me they were) and they have not corrected the software allowing it, I feel they should be held responsible for more.

Appreciate that flying to experience another carrier is far outlying behaviour despite it being common here on FT. No one will get traction with DOT or legal angle on this other than to build their frustration level.
Experience aside:
  • The airports I was flying to/from on ANA are not served by United.
  • The only flight United offered us departs much earlier so we will miss another day of work
  • This flight arrives a day earlier, requiring us to extend our hotel reservation
  • We now must spend time/money obtaining a Chinese Visa

So again, the monetary impact alone was in excess of $1,000. Not to mention where we'd be if I deleted the suspicious Chinese email immediately and didn't learn of the cancellation until check-in.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not to mention where we'd be if I deleted the suspicious Chinese email immediately and didn't learn of the cancellation until check-in.
Good idea. Complain to authorities about how much greater your losses would have been if you hadn't noticed the email. That will undoubtedly get you your F seats on NH.

You started out with a lot of sympathy here but your attitude is reducing some of it. I might be bitter and snarky if I had this experience too, but it's still not a good way to get what you want from the people you have to deal with. If this is your tone on your calls with UA then you're doing yourself more harm than good.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Good idea. Complain to authorities about how much greater your losses would have been if you hadn't noticed the email. That will undoubtedly get you your F seats on NH.

You started out with a lot of sympathy here but your attitude is reducing some of it. I might be bitter and snarky if I had this experience too, but it's still not a good way to get what you want from the people you have to deal with. If this is your tone on your calls with UA then you're doing yourself more harm than good.
I apologize if it's coming off that way - it's just the result of stewing over this for a few days, and doing a little venting to a FT community I knew would understand. My discussion with UA was completely different, and I have said several times I am grateful that UA was at least able to put us on the flights it did.

If by authorities you mean the DOT, I have not mentioned them on this board or anywhere else.

Last edited by ordbkk; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:33 am Reason: forgot something
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Would trip insurance cover pre-paid travel arrangements in this situation? I know the trip insurance vendors are good at weaseling their way out of paying claims, but I wonder of this would be covered.

Secondly, UA has become very good at removing features and "enhancing" the travel experience over the past 3 years. Why can't they just remove web cancellation page for now and just force non-MP members to call in to cancel? That should be an easy fix although it would cost money for added calls.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

I'm not seeing this demanding tone that you speak of in the OP's posts.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
I apologize if it's coming off that way - it's just the result of stewing over this for a few days, and doing a little venting to a FT community I knew would understand. My discussion with UA was completely different, and I have said several times I am grateful that UA was at least able to put us on the flights it did.

If by authorities you mean the DOT, I have not mentioned them on this board or anywhere else.
I promise that that poster is the only one thinking that.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know exactly what you're suggesting, but by far the most plausible explanation for why UA is claiming that the reservation was canceled from the same IP address that it was made from is simply that they are wrong.
Yeah, that's also a possibility.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
It's been 3 weeks since post #1 of this thread. As time passes by and more "cancellations" are reported, is United doing anything to prevent more cases from happening?

Any progress anyone is aware of?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I ...if there is an ongoing scam of which United is aware (and they told me they were) and they have not corrected the software allowing it, I feel they should be held responsible for more... So again, the monetary impact alone was in excess of $1,000.
This would make an interesting liability case, especially as nobody here seems intimately familiar with award ticket CoC details.

When I have booked multi-carrier premium-cabin longhaul awards via other FF programs, and the itineraries subsequently blew up (schedule changes, dropped cities, etc.), the issuing carrier moved mountains to make things good, including poaching revenue seats for us on alternative own-metal flights showing no award space. UA does not seem anywhere near so responsive in this case. The shrug + "Gee, guess you're out of luck" response is not sufficient. I would love to see a lawyer explore the exact parameters of United's responsibility here.

OP has every right to be livid by this point IMO, at both UA and CA.

Originally Posted by Neil35
It's been 3 weeks since post #1 of this thread. As time passes by and more "cancellations" are reported, is United doing anything to prevent more cases from happening?

Any progress anyone is aware of?
UA Insider's silence speaks volumes.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might be useful to create a wiki here listing all the known cases of these cancellations, maybe in chronological order, with numbers of seats involved and details of routes/carriers/cabin classes/etc. and their resolutions.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Even better would be to put us on the flights we booked and paid for before their website let somebody else cancel our tickets
In my experience the time for pressing for the same flights, or even same dates, was before you accepted the reaccommodation.

Now it's time to go and enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mduell
In my experience the time for pressing for the same flights, or even same dates, was before you accepted the reaccommodation.

Now it's time to go and enjoy your trip.
I agree.

This situation happened to one of my pre-deval awards over four weeks ago now. I escalated it as far as I could and hit a brick wall, mainly because UA didn't believe that it wasn't me who cancelled my flights. They claim that the "account holder" had made the changes, which I denied, telling them that, based on my history of always replacing an award flight with a new one before canceling, it just didn't make sense that I would leave myself stranded in BKK without a way home. All of this was to no avail.

They re-accommodated me in J on a combo of UA and TG, and I accepted this and got on with my life. I ended-up enjoying my trip, although the Thai A380 J lie-flats are way too short for me and I couldn't sleep on that portion, everything else was fine.

Others advised me to file a complaint with the DOT, but in the end, it just seemed like a waste of time.

Time is more valuable than money and OP shouldn't spend any more mental energy or time pursuing a likely fruitless venture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.