FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565063-2014-ua-issued-awards-air-china-ca-mysteriously-being-canceled-hacked.html)

MikeMpls Mar 31, 2014 11:18 am

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

We had an award trip to Australia booked for the 2nd half of May, outbound in coach on UA, return in business class on China Air.

Received an email today from United -- in Chinese. I don't read Chinese.

Logged into our accounts and found that the itinerary had been canceled, leaving us holding the bag on $1K in nonrefundable domestic Australian flights on Qantas & JetStar, plus some hotel reservations.

This has to be the absolute worst customer service example I've ever experienced in the reservations department.

fjfv19 Mar 31, 2014 11:27 am

Well, I guess the upside is you actually got an email despite it being in a foreign language, which is more than most people seem to receive.

travel.flier Mar 31, 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 22622163)
We had an award trip to Australia booked for the 2nd half of May, outbound in coach on UA, return in business class on China Air.

Logged into our accounts and found that the itinerary had been canceled, leaving us holding the bag on $1K in nonrefundable domestic Australian flights on Qantas & JetStar, plus some hotel reservations.

This has to be the absolute worst customer service example I've ever experienced in the reservations department.

how do you know it was canceled by UA and not china air?

MikeMpls Mar 31, 2014 11:36 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 22622231)
how do you know it was canceled by UA and not china air?

Who cares?

Originally Posted by fjfv19 (Post 22622226)
Well, I guess the upside is you actually got an email despite it being in a foreign language, which is more than most people seem to receive.

I suppose there's a rosy side to everything! :)

I was thinking .bomb had done splendidly well in rebooking this until I got to the end:

! united.com is unable to initiate your flight change request at this time. Please contact United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED1 to make changes to this Itinerary.

zebranz Mar 31, 2014 11:52 am

OK, so schedules change and flights are canceled which kill the itin. Did you call UA and did they accommodate you on another flight to arrive similar times? Or any options?

Onward tickets on separate PNR's, separate airlines are not their fault.

We have plenty to blame UA for doing and alienating us FF already which are planned. No reason to hit them at the moment on yours.

warakorn Mar 31, 2014 11:56 am

china air
Never heard of that airline!

MikeMpls Mar 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz (Post 22622436)
OK, so schedules change and flights are canceled which kill the itin. Did you call UA and did they accommodate you on another flight to arrive similar times? Or any options?

Onward tickets on separate PNR's, separate airlines are not their fault.

We have plenty to blame UA for doing and alienating us FF already which are planned. No reason to hit them at the moment on yours.

Proper notification and rebooking remain United's responsibility. This is a major fail.

And yes, I will hit them with my problems at this point. If they can't keep reservations validly booked -- there were plenty of options available -- then they've earned whatever bad publicity they get.

And if I choose the cancel/redeposit "option", they want to charge me $400 for canceling an itin that they've already canceled!!!!

jsl42 Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

I strangely got flight cancelation notice from United last month in Spanish. (Which, thank god, I read)

1353513636 Mar 31, 2014 12:06 pm

You must be booked for the return on Air China (IATA: CA), not China Airlines (IATA: CI) as they are not part of Star Alliance. Likely, what happened was that Air China decided to cut a route from Australia to China (by any chance, Sydney-Beijing?, that flight changes to a 1-stop via Shanghai during Australian winter but operates on a different flight number so you will need to check for availability to make the change). Call UA Reservations ASAP and ask if you can be booked on other carriers with open availability or if UA can open availability for you.

FlytheTail Mar 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 22622553)
Likely, what happened was that Air China decided to cut a route from Australia to China (by any chance, Sydney-Beijing?, that flight changes to a 1-stop via Shanghai during Australian winter but operates on a different flight number so you will need to check for availability to make the change). Call UA Reservations ASAP and ask if you can be booked on other carriers with open availability or if UA can open availability for you.

+1. I had a flight cancellation on China Eastern in paid first <3 weeks before departure (link). Hopefully UA will do better than my OTA (Exp) did. Let us know how it goes.

mahasamatman Mar 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 22622396)
I was thinking .bomb had done splendidly well in rebooking this until I got to the end:

! united.com is unable to initiate your flight change request at this time. Please contact United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED1 to make changes to this Itinerary.

So what happened when you called?

MikeMpls Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22622755)
So what happened when you called?

Currently on hold but appears to be going ok. After a brief session of voice-recognition hell, the wait for a live person was < 1 minute. The rep needs to get another dept. to change it to get the layover in Beijing out of the reservation.

Rep gets an "A" so far.

Done, better schedule, disappointed to lose stop in Beijing but that was secondary.

UA really needs to improve its notifications!!!!

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 22622553)
Likely, what happened was that Air China decided to cut a route from Australia to China (by any chance, Sydney-Beijing?, that flight changes to a 1-stop via Shanghai during Australian winter ...

Yes, was SYD-PEK-LAX on May 29-30.

mahasamatman Mar 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 22622909)
UA really needs to improve its notifications!!!!

Agreed, but it's nice to hear your got your trip cleared up.

wharvey Mar 31, 2014 1:04 pm

We have SYD-PEK-IAH in November.

Just went to check... still ok so far!

greg99 Mar 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsl42 (Post 22622528)
I strangely got flight cancelation notice from United last month in Spanish. (Which, thank god, I read)

All of my flight delay/gate change messages have been coming to me in Spanish for the last couple of months.