Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If we are getting this many reports just from within the FT community, then it seems reasonable to assume there's a whole bunch more going on that we are not hearing about.

I certainly hope UA is doing something even if they're not addressing the issue publicly.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I'd guess 99% of people receiving an email in Chinese will throw it into the trash thinking it is junk mail. If UA is sending these emails - something is wrong. If my vacation plans were handled this way, I would be pissed.

Contact UA web security. This is not right.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:05 pm

OP already did that ... hasn't heard back.

Originally Posted by goalie
I don't have a dog in this hunt but has anyone contacted United corporate and/or UA Insider directly and if yes, more importantly, has anyone heard anything back? The longer United remains silent/mute on this makes me wonder that there is in fact a big/bigger problem and United is currently in some sort of damage control mode*

*and yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist ;-)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by malgudi
OP already did that ... hasn't heard back.
Originally Posted by goalie
I don't have a dog in this hunt but has anyone contacted United corporate and/or UA Insider directly and if yes, more importantly, has anyone heard anything back? The longer United remains silent/mute on this makes me wonder that there is in fact a big/bigger problem and United is currently in some sort of damage control mode*

*and yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist ;-)
As screwed up as United's I/T area is, I wouldn't contact web security for the time of day, let alone something a serious as this might be. What I'm getting at is contacting a suit or some other person at WHQ with the authority to speak for United and if no one responds, then drop a dime to the media and have their consumer affairs anchor contact United as that (problem or no problem) will get a response
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there any pattern of people with cancelled award tickets using Air China having common last names?

Suppose a broker wants to find award space to sell a ticket. Could the broker go into something like checkmytrip, enter the desired flight and date, and then keep checking common American last names until getting lucky and finding an award flight that can be cancelled using the last name (guessed, probably with software that automatically checks and keeps trying from a long list of common last names) and UA PNR. Checkmytrip or something similar reveals the PNR. Then name + PNR is sufficient to cancel the award ticket of the rightful owner. If cancellation often frees up award space quickly on Air China flights, the broker now has the desired award ticket to sell.

Of course, if the broker has access to the Air China reservation records, the process is much easier and doesn't require attempting to guess last names. In that case, broker directly finds an award reservation on the desired flight. Use PNR + last name to cancel on UA website in Chinese, and then grab the newly released award space to sell to their own customer using miles they purchased.

I never realized that the policy of most major airlines to not put cancelled award space back into award inventory had a useful purpose in that it makes the odds of this type of fraud being successful become so low as to discourage investment of effort in such a scheme.

Does anyone have a sense of how often Air China will take cancelled award seats and quickly put them back into award inventory? Maybe it only works predictably if the flight has lots of regular revenue FC seats for sale, which seems to be true in the cases being reported here.

If brokers are guessing last names to find the PNRs, it's entirely UA's fault due to the security flaw of allowing cancellation with only the PNR + lastname. If instead the modus operandi of this scam is to start with the Air China reservation records, then Air China and the system it uses is partially to blame too.

If Air China wanted to help, it could look carefully at award tickets on flights/cabins/dates associated with the cancellations reported to them by UA. Most of those tickets would involve not only reservations obtained fraudulently but also the fraudulent sale of *A miles to a broker. Investigation would give grounds to cancel the new award tickets. If this happens enough, most brokers would be forced to stop these practices because they would get too many complaints from their own customers now being able to fly with their cheap FC tickets.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there any pattern of people with cancelled award tickets using Air China having common last names?
Wikipedia has a list of common Chinese last names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...inese_surnames

Last edited by kb1992; Apr 19, 2014 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by kb1992
Interesting questions.

My cancelled CA award tickets have YANG and ZHENG last names.

According to wikipedia, they rank #6 and #21 common Chinese last names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...inese_surnames
Our last names are very uncommon. In any case, I expect the last names would be the easy part to get, in cases where the Name & PNR weren't already paired.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:23 am

I just realized I have a new problem: The new flight United gave me has us landing in Beijing a day earlier, so I will need to pay for another night of hotel.... and worse yet, we are now over our 72-hour visa limit. What a #$! mess.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
If we are getting this many reports just from within the FT community, then it seems reasonable to assume there's a whole bunch more going on that we are not hearing about.

I certainly hope UA is doing something even if they're not addressing the issue publicly.

when was the last reported cancellation? Did UA somehow figured out to stop this from happening again?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by warakorn
Never heard of that airline!
Have you heard of Air China? Is it really necessary to be rude?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I just realized I have a new problem: The new flight United gave me has us landing in Beijing a day earlier, so I will need to pay for another night of hotel.... and worse yet, we are now over our 72-hour visa limit. What a #$! mess.
Because it will take time to resolve the issue, the obvious thing to do is to get Chinese tourist visa for your trip. I heard that Chinese are quite serious about the 72-hour limit and the geographic restrictions to Beijing area for TWOV. Even worse, you won't be allowed to check in at the ticket counter in the first place.

Fortunately they have a Consulate-General office in Chicago. You should be able to get it done in 2 days in person if you are in a big hurry.

Last edited by Neil35; Apr 19, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Neil35
Because it will take time to resolve the issue, the obvious thing to do is to get Chinese tourist visa for your trip. I heard that Chinese are quite serious about the 72-hour limit and the geographic restrictions to Beijing area for TWOV. Even worse, you won't be allowed to check in at the ticket counter in the first place.
I've heard the same. So... another $130/person. Does anyone know a better way to get some resolution to this other than submitting the generic feedback form at United.com ?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:57 am

YMMV and it kind of sucks, but in these situations you can try going to the airport and talking to someone there. At least you will get a live person. I have had much better success at going to SFO and talking to the reps at the 1K / GS counter who then escalate things quickly.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
I've heard the same. So... another $130/person. Does anyone know a better way to get some resolution to this other than submitting the generic feedback form at United.com ?
Sounds likes it time to start thinking of taking UA to small claims court to recover your extra costs cause by their lax security protocals. It would at least force them to respond.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
did you ask them to fix it? They were willing to help w/ the CA situation and probably had no idea you wanted to use the 72-hr visa-free transit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.