Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Daveyb101
I too am nervously monitoring a couple of CA J seats that lead-off my upcoming trip. Am I safe in assuming that if the reservation still appears on united.com and via the saudi airlines website, things are still good? Or do I need to confirm directly with CA (or anything else)?
If it is in reservations it is good, if it shows up in cancellations - it is bad.

It works like a traditional cancellation - just someone else is doing it without authorization.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Daveyb101
I too am nervously monitoring a couple of CA J seats that lead-off my upcoming trip. Am I safe in assuming that if the reservation still appears on united.com and via the saudi airlines website, things are still good? Or do I need to confirm directly with CA (or anything else)?
In this case united.com is more reliable. Don't rely on the Saudi website as it only shows the e-ticket image and not the underlying reservation itself. The reservation can be cancelled and the eticket would still be existing in the background.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by critten
Maybe put a 24hr Delay on CA cancels before redepositing into the bucket. Gives us a chance to call and rebook - and hopefully change the confirmations number around, meh.
It probably won't help as CA allows their own members (I think) to waitlist for awards. It might go to them first.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
It probably won't help as CA allows their own members (I think) to waitlist for awards. It might go to them first.
Yeah well what I was thinking was just leave the seat in UA's hands as taken for an extra 24hrs. So, it would not be released to the waitlist right away.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
This should actually be quite easy to follow the trail here and figure out who got the award space after it was cancelled, or if there was no award booking and the seats went back into the revenue buckets then suspicion should fall on CA?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:18 am

Wink

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This should actually be quite easy to follow the trail here and figure out who got the award space after it was cancelled, or if there was no award booking and the seats went back into the revenue buckets then suspicion should fall on CA?
hehe seems so easy, which is why it makes most of us cancelled victims infuriated!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by lewende
My apologies - however, this won't help to most of us who haven't commenced to travel on UA award bookings with CA segment(s).
Sorry if it came across as confusing--I was hoping it was clear with noting OJ+SO. Essentially I did AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD//CCC-BBB where the first time transiting BBB I have a currently open 6 month stopover, and the CA segment is in BBB-CCC.
For booked tickets, this doesn't help, but it is a creative idea that MIGHT lock down future bookings when made several months before travel.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG
FYI, this happened to me on Feb 23. The agent on the phone insisted that I had done it online.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I'm a developer. I frequently tell my users there is no correlation between the value of a feature and the effort required to implement it.
I haven't had the occasion to tell them that but I definitely agree.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by genemk2
FYI, this happened to me on Feb 23. The agent on the phone insisted that I had done it online.
Wow.. The numbers are growing!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Screw it. I decided to drop my CA segments. Found much better and allows me to drop a positioning fligt i had to book separately,

Instead of SYD-BKK-PEK-LAX i switched to SYD-BKK-HKG-ICN-JFK. Allowed me to drop my AA award from LAX-BOS. Ill just take the bus or train from JFK
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:06 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by genemk2
Wow this is earlier than the original poster? Maybe this has been going on for quite awhile...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We had an award trip to Australia booked for the 2nd half of May, outbound in coach on UA, return in business class on China Air.

Received an email today from United -- in Chinese. I don't read Chinese.

Logged into our accounts and found that the itinerary had been canceled, leaving us holding the bag on $1K in nonrefundable domestic Australian flights on Qantas & JetStar, plus some hotel reservations.

This has to be the absolute worst customer service example I've ever experienced in the reservations department.
Did you post the message?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
I'd guess 99% of people receiving an email in Chinese will throw it into the trash thinking it is junk mail. If UA is sending these emails - something is wrong. If my vacation plans were handled this way, I would be pissed.

Contact UA web security. This is not right.
Keep in mind that there are millions of Chinese Americans
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Simplified or traditional?
Likely simplified given that CA is a PRC carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.