Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
That is good. Hopefully they can work out something with CA. Meanwhile all who checking their reservations 5 times a day expecting the worse, keep doing the same. When will we see an official announcement about this from UA?
I have a trip in late May so hoping we can get a resolution and confidence that our reservations won't be randomly canceled. My CA segment is an intra-Asia hop in C, but the alternatives don't really work for me.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Yeah the goal of whoever is behind this was to clear up some free space for personal gain.

My main goal, after being accommodated (though I would love the same flight back if possible and cancellations fixed), is to prevent this from future abuse. This isn't only about the lost award flights on UA, someone could do this to anyone (revenue or award) on united. And as we will see, it is a only a matter of time before some kid is bored.

What we have learned so far is there is NO front line defense or trace to prevent this from happening on any ticket. Though UA reps blamed us for the cancellations, they are just doing their job by relaying what the computer tells them.

The reservation that did not cancel for me (one in four) was changed to go on the same flights as the others. That opened up the award inventory for that seat on UA, (I can see it) but I cannot see the ones that were lost. I assume it must have went somewhere, so hopefully this will be a pretty swift investigation.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by critten
What we have learned so far is there is NO front line defense or trace to prevent this from happening on any ticket.
Not on UA nor on any other US airline, either, from what people have said.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Were someone able to get a list of RLs/Names one could certainly create havoc for a day or two with business travel even within the US.
Hence the DHS "hook". Or is a potential cyber attack (state-sanctioned or terrorist) on the U.S. economy not in their purview?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Not on UA nor on any other US airline, either, from what people have said.
true - but however you can get that list of confirmations and last names needs to be stopped. I assume, and can be totally wrong, that whoever can get it should be trusted personnel only. Someway, somehow this list is available to this abusive person...which should lead to an investigation to stop it.

And if it can possibly be more widespread (say this guy can get anything on any carrier), the airlines/govt should be proactive.

That's what I mean by front line, i guess.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why FT is great

Thanks to FT I knew about this problem and avoided booking CA for my HNL-PEK trip in C later this year, despite the better timing and availability showing on UA's website. Now I'll have to take UA and NH and change in NRT but the peace of mind of not having to check whether my reservation has been cancelled every day is worth the small inconvenience.

For what it's worth, my thoughts are that this is an inside job with someone at CA working with a Chinese mileage broker. They found an insane loophole in the UA system (changing tickets without any verification/PIN needed) and have exploited it to their benefit. In a country where people are willing to put harmful chemicals in baby formula to make a few extra bucks, it's not too hard to imagine this little scam working for quite some time. I also predict the only remedy will be for UA to require passwords/PINs to verify booking changes. CA isn't going to be any help at all.

Hopefully UA will change their systems very soon to protect their customers.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
Any info on getting the seat assigned?
Yes! Called Air China. Record is intact and confirmed it is F on the 773ER.
Seats assigned. Hope everything will be ok! knock on wood!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
I received contact from UA Insider and just messaged them...we'll see if they can solve my case.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
true - but however you can get that list of confirmations and last names needs to be stopped.
There's no way to do that as long as people book on CA, right? Any US airline with any Chinese partner is going to have the same problem. Unless the latter are willing to change their system.

Maybe UA could invent an "alias" for each PNR containing CA legs, and only give CA the alias record locator, not the original record locator. Then anyone with access to CA data would still not have the UA record locator and not be able to make cancellations on UA. I don't know if this would be feasible from UA's point of view, or would break other things.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
For the WIKI, can someone post a screenshot and copy and paste the Chinese text of the alleged cancellation e-mail from United?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
There's no way to do that as long as people book on CA, right? Any US airline with any Chinese partner is going to have the same problem. Unless the latter are willing to change their system.

Maybe UA could invent an "alias" for each PNR containing CA legs, and only give CA the alias record locator, not the original record locator. Then anyone with access to CA data would still not have the UA record locator and not be able to make cancellations on UA. I don't know if this would be feasible from UA's point of view, or would break other things.
Well CA doesn't really know our united confirmations because they have a separate record locator for partner airlines(nor can they do anything with the UA confirmations in their system). Someway, I believe, someone is getting the REAL UA confirmations.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Well CA doesn't really know our united confirmations because they have a separate record locator for partner airlines(nor can they do anything with the UA confirmations in their system). Someway, I believe, someone is getting the REAL UA confirmations.
Correct. UA generates A SEP Confirmation numbers for all other airlines under their reservation(can be viewed if you click on the additional conf numbers link).. The solution UA must come up with is HOW TO PREVENT ANY ONE WITH ACCESS TO FROM CANCELLING some one else's reservation. pax should be able to generate/create an additional key or password only to be used for changes or cancellations. UA is still not saying if they have a handle on things or the current reservations are safe.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:54 am

You need a confirmation number and last name to cancel a reservation. Wouldn't someone with access to that information also have access to the additional key that you're proposing?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
You need a confirmation number and last name to cancel a reservation. Wouldn't someone with access to that information also have access to the additional key that you're proposing?
No. This is the password/ key that you generate while booking. Just like when you sign up for anything now a days. just a thought.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Again, has someone translated the Chinese e-mails? Are they scam e-mails or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.