Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by kale73
If OP's theory is accurate, the cancellations are neither Air China's fault nor responsibility. It seems that only tickets booked on United's 016 stock are at risk of being canceled in this way. Hence, OP's appeal to UA to fix the problem.
Not related to CA, but the convenience for someone to cancel my ticket on UA really freaked me out when I realized that about one year ago.

The dangerous part is also on the baggage tags, there's full name and PNR on baggage tags. So if I have a return trip on UA with checked luggages, I will need to be very very careful with my baggage tag after the outbound, as if I just dispose it randomly, someone can cancel or change my unfinished segments with informations only from the baggage tag.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Why much harder? The bad guys have phones.
As a practical matter, having to interact with a human is a major (though plainly not deadly) disincentive to carrying out this sort of fraud.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Why much harder? The bad guys have phones.
As I said in my post, there is a way to protect your booking if such cancellation comes through making phone calls to agents, but there is no way to do so for online cancellation.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by azepine00
Aside from that any common trends? O vs I vs X awards, travel dates (how far in advance etc), 4 digit pin for all impacted etc?
And:

Were all the surnames one of the 100 or so common Chinese surnames? The fact that there is so little diversity of surnames may make it easier to guess the names associated with PNRs.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snic
And:

Were all the surnames one of the 100 or so common Chinese surnames? The fact that there is so little diversity of surnames may make it easier to guess the names associated with PNRs.
already discussed
Originally Posted by ordbkk
Our last names are very uncommon. In any case, I expect the last names would be the easy part to get, in cases where the Name & PNR weren't already paired.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k
And:

Our names are neither Chinese nor in the top 100.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by nihaoa
Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

I have reviewed the records for your parents-in-law and have confirmed the information regarding the cancellation. I can confirm, our system indicates someone logged in as a guest, canceled XXXXXX at 10:42pm and then canceled XXXXXX at 10:50pm. I regret the records were canceled, however, we are unable to solicit Air China to give us additional mileage seats.

I have reviewed Air China's mileage availability for several weeks to the mainland, and at this time, there is no availability in First class or coach. The only option is to retain the routing currently indicated in each record.

Again, I regret the situation. We try to provide this value through a mix of safety, on-time performance, courteous and professional service, and a wide range of destination options. We want to make travel with us a convenient and trouble-free experience for our passengers.

Our goal is to provide exceptional service every time your parents travel with United. Your support is important to United, our regional carriers, and all Star Alliance member carriers. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming your parents on board for the flight to California.

Regards,

XXX XXX
United Airlines

I would say "unbelievable"....but with the "new" United, it is altogether too believable.

And just as an aside; it is very poorly written, especially when supposedly coming from a CEO office.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by milepig
Question.

Who has access to passenger lists that include PNRs and last names? Only the airlines, or can a TA see that as well. More specifically to the point, how much detail can they see? Can a TA see from some manifest that Smith/J booked a ticket on a CA using UA miles on PRN xxxxxx.
According to wikipedia, a scary amount of information is contained in the PNR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...ivacy_concerns

I hope for our sake that most of this never leaves United's systems.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by azepine00
Can anyone who reads chinese check flyertea (flyertalk knockoff in china for those not familiar) site to see if similar reports are posted there?
I found this

http://www.flyertea.com/forum.php?mo...26typeid%3D341

Text:

Warning: several reports that CA award ticket using MP miles got cancelled. Received email confirmations in Chinese.

Discussion: Someone sneaked into CA system and cancelled these tickets to grab award inventory. Nasty. Nasty. etc. etc.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:21 pm
Suspended

When people say "PNR" in this thread, they are mostly just talking about the record locator, not the record itself. I agree this is a slight misuse of terminology. I do think your PNR gets shared with partner airlines when you fly on an itinerary that includes airlines other than UA (and perhaps even when you don't).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
I found this

http://www.flyertea.com/forum.php?mo...26typeid%3D341

Text:

Warning: several reports that CA award ticket using MP miles got cancelled. Received email confirmations in Chinese.

Discussion: Someone sneaked into CA system and cancelled these tickets to grab award inventory. Nasty. Nasty. etc. etc.
I think this is just the beginning - there is a way that someone is cancelling based on PNR and Last names. The three that got cancelled on mine had 3 distinct, different, last names. On top of that, cancellations were almost instant on different PNR with different last names.

I, on the other hand, have an asian last name and did not get cancelled. Maybe they spared me, or maybe they didn't need the one first seat :P
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
When people say "PNR" in this thread, they are mostly just talking about the record locator, not the record itself. I agree this is a slight misuse of terminology. I do think your PNR gets shared with partner airlines when you fly on an itinerary that includes airlines other than UA (and perhaps even when you don't).
PNR usually lets you edit traveler's info - including passport number, DOB, global entry.... ect.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by critten
PNR usually lets you edit traveler's info - including passport number, DOB, global entry.... ect.
No, the PNR ("Passenger Name Record") is the traveler's information, including all of that data. The six-character code that is used to reference that PNR is properly called the "record locator". But people often abuse terminology and simply refer to the record locator as a PNR.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
And:

If they're cancelling award tickets purchased with UA miles, I would not expect most of the surnames to be Chinese, although there would probably be more Chinese names than on a typical UA award ticket on average.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You appear to be right. I had no idea that this existed, and it's insane, but good on the UK. Now it makes even less sense to be how little my UK friends use credit cards compared to Americans.

Sadly, no breach of contract claim because it's (probably) preempted by federal law, and specific performance is an unlikely extraordinary remedy.
It is slightly insane, but the thinking seems to be that you're actually buying the goods/services from the credit provider so they're liable. Sadly I agree that the state of US law seems to make the airlines immune from consumer protection claims.

I'm sure the law isn't like this in the US, but even if it were, I don't see how it helps. It's helpful to the customer in the case of insolvency of the merchant. But UA is not insolvent, any remedy that you could pursue against your credit card issuer you could also pursue directly against UA. If you could get a court to order specific performance against the credit card company then it would be equally easy (i.e., likely impossible, in a few weeks for a cancelled trip worth a few thousand dollars, and in any case would cost more in legal fees than the value of the trip) to get a similar order against UA.
I thought it might help in two ways a) credit card companies tend to be more responsive to potential claims, especially those associated with fraud, and are more likely to get UA's attention b) I suspect that UA are impervious to any claim because of the state of US law, I wondered if the credit card companies were similarly protected. However as US law doesn't have similar provisions it's a moot point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.