Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not to mention, we booked this trip specifically to experience Air China & ANA, which offer an entirely different level of service than United (As United's own award chart concedes).
UA's awards cost fewer miles on UA metal than on partner airlines because it's cheaper for them to fly you on their own planes, not because they are 'conceding' that other airlines are 'entirely different'. I'd put that in the realm of opinion. I'm not sure that Air China has such a great reputation.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While understanding the disappoint, don't let the disappointment spoil the trip / flight. It will still be a nice flight compared the way most people travel.
This is BS. It's like having your Bentley stolen, and the insurance company giving you a Chrysler and being told "It's still a nice car compared to what most people drive". We didn't win our original tickets. We earned those miles fair & square by being loyal to United, flying a lot, and purchasing some Premier Accelerator. We played by the rules and expect United to honor the terms of our transaction.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
UA's awards cost fewer miles on UA metal than on partner airlines because it's cheaper for them to fly you on their own planes, not because they are 'conceding' that other airlines are 'entirely different'. I'd put that in the realm of opinion. I'm not sure that Air China has such a great reputation.
First of all, why should they be allowed to substitute my chosen flight for another because it's cheaper for them? Why is that even relevant to my transaction?

Second, even if it's opinion, why should that matter? To use another analogy, what if you purchased an iPhone but received a Samsung phone instead? Somebody could argue with you that which is better is a matter of opinion, but it should not matter because you already decided which one you wanted and purchased that one. Receiving something that somebody else deems equivalent (but really only because its cheaper for them) would not be acceptable.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was really skeptical about Air China for years.

After experiencing their new 773ER services between China/US and China/EU, I am impressed how fast Air China can improve and how slow US airlines react to competitions.

I just had a dinner convesaiton with my Swedish friend who also discovered the huge change in Air China and now fly the Air China 773ER services between STO and China instead of SAS or Finair.

Domestic Air China services are still not too appealing on those old 744 and single-aisle aircrafts, but just did four intra-China flights on the almost brand new A330 and 773ER - they beat UA domestic flights except for the PS configuration aircrafts.

I cannot wait to experience the Air China 747-8, which will be introduced on the SFO flights later this year or early next year.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I cannot wait to experience the Air China 747-8, which will be introduced on the SFO flights later this year or early next year.

http://www.airchina.us/en/PEKSFO-777.html
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:13 am
Suspended

First of all, why should they be allowed to substitute my chosen flight for another because it's cheaper for them?
Who said they should be allowed to substitute your chosen flight for another because it's cheaper for them? I just said that I doubt that it's actually a much superior experience, on average, on CA. And that it's not actually true that UA takes the position that their own flights are inferior to partner airlines, as you keep saying. I'm allowed to have an opinion on those things while still thinking that UA should do everything they can to honor the award you originally booked.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:17 am

The first issue is in the eye of the beholder. The second... well... take a look at the Air China F cabin yourself.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:20 am

Who said they should be allowed to substitute your chosen flight for another because it's cheaper for them? I just said that I doubt that it's actually a much superior experience, on average, on CA. And that it's not actually true that UA takes the position that their own flights are inferior to partner airlines, as you keep saying. I'm allowed to have an opinion on those things while still thinking that UA should do everything they can to honor the award you originally booked.
Would you say the same for ANA as well? We lost one segment on Air China and two on ANA.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:38 am
Suspended

Would you say the same for ANA as well? We lost one segment on Air China and two on ANA.
NH certainly has a better reputation than CA.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 26point2orbust

http://www.wcarn.com/news/32/32563.html

Also, Air China has mentioned that SFO will likely to be the first destination for the 747-8 in the Chinese press.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The first issue is in the eye of the beholder. The second... well... take a look at the Air China F cabin yourself.
I saw it with my own eyes a few days ago. Although I have not experienced it, it is really really nice indeed! ^

I have not done trip report for a while, but as soon as I experienced it, I will do one.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: AADULtArer
First of all, why should they be allowed to substitute my chosen flight for another because it's cheaper for them? Why is that even relevant to my transaction?

Second, even if it's opinion, why should that matter? To use another analogy, what if you purchased an iPhone but received a Samsung phone instead? Somebody could argue with you that which is better is a matter of opinion, but it should not matter because you already decided which one you wanted and purchased that one. Receiving something that somebody else deems equivalent (but really only because its cheaper for them) would not be acceptable.
Unfortunately the contract of carriage does not guarantee routing nor carrier, so no such 'purchase of travel on Air China' is due. They only way near guarantee an Air China leg is to book a trip not available on UA metal/ composite.

If buying an IPhone were described as " a device to access cellular network I order to make a call" they could likewise give you a Samsung and fill their contractural obligation.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Unfortunately the contract of carriage does not guarantee routing nor carrier, so no such 'purchase of travel on Air China' is due. They only way near guarantee an Air China leg is to book a trip not available on UA metal/ composite.

If buying an IPhone were described as " a device to access cellular network I order to make a call" they could likewise give you a Samsung and fill their contractural obligation.
Yes but if theyhad described it as an iPhone on the website, shown it as an iPhone on the receipt and burried your description on page 92 of unreadable legalese many States Attornys General would probably have something to say about it. The fact the airlines bribed congress to escape consumer protection law remains a large part of why US carriers are so flier unfriendly.

UA should make these fliers whole, even if that involves purchasing revenue tickets on CA to do so.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:44 am

Also, Air China has mentioned that SFO will likely to be the first destination for the 747-8 in the Chinese press.
Okay, I hadn't seen anything about that on airlineroute.net
It seems a little strange to switch to the 748 less than a year after they started flying the 773ER to SFO. If they knew that the 748 was coming soon, why not just keep the 744 to SFO until the 748 is available?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by alex_b

UA should make these fliers whole, even if that involves purchasing revenue tickets on CA to do so.
Making them whole means A-B, without details of the hyphen /dash. Thats what you buy on a ticket (and I assume on a award ticket, but confess I've never read the CoC on award travel). OP has full refund option of course.

Appreciate that flying to experience another carrier is far outlying behaviour despite it being common here on FT. No one will get traction with DOT or legal angle on this other than to build their frustration level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.