Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Time is more valuable than money and OP shouldn't spend any more mental energy or time pursuing a likely fruitless venture.
United wins.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
OP has every right to be livid by this point IMO, at both UA and CA.
I would think so, too. That's what I said.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Time is more valuable than money and OP shouldn't spend any more mental energy or time pursuing a likely fruitless venture.
Really? So we should just roll over and play dead in a situation like this? Let UA get away with their utterly unacceptable lack of security so that this can keep happening to people?

No. I would be grateful to anyone who has experienced this if they make as big and public a stink about it as they can.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snic
Really? So we should just roll over and play dead in a situation like this? Let UA get away with their utterly unacceptable lack of security so that this can keep happening to people?
I'm curious what people think UA and other airlines should do about this, going forward. The ability to change and cancel reservations with the record locator and passenger name is a pretty central assumption of all reservation systems I've used. I often make use of it for friends and family. It seems a bit hard for me to imagine that UA and other airlines are going to completely revoke that assumption, any time soon. So what would you do?

A simple partial fix could be, for award travel with partner airlines only, to send an email confirmation of the cancellation but wait 24 hours before actually releasing the partner inventory? That seems within the scope of what they could implement. Is it enough?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Originally Posted by Neil35
It's been 3 weeks since post #1 of this thread. As time passes by and more "cancellations" are reported, is United doing anything to prevent more cases from happening?

Any progress anyone is aware of?
Sent what will most likely be a fruitless email to 1K Voice with a link to this forum. I specifically asked what they are doing to prevent this from continuing and affecting more reservations including Two I have this summer. Should I hear anything beyond the standard boiler plate I will post it here.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
The ability to change and cancel reservations with the record locator and passenger name is a pretty central assumption of all reservation systems I've used.
Actually, Air Canada requires credit card number to authenticate any PNR change.

This would prevent such CA cancellations. It's pretty simple.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by BearX220

UA Insider's silence speaks volumes.

This is most worrisome. UAInsider is very quick to pipe in about Company's lovely gluten free soups, BOB etc.. be any hint of a problem and silence.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I'm curious what people think UA and other airlines should do about this, going forward. The ability to change and cancel reservations with the record locator and passenger name is a pretty central assumption of all reservation systems I've used. I often make use of it for friends and family. It seems a bit hard for me to imagine that UA and other airlines are going to completely revoke that assumption, any time soon. So what would you do?

A simple partial fix could be, for award travel with partner airlines only, to send an email confirmation of the cancellation but wait 24 hours before actually releasing the partner inventory? That seems within the scope of what they could implement. Is it enough?
It's really not that complicated. Require online cancellations of award tickets (and, at passenger's request, other reservations) to be from a logged-in account. And add a feature allowing passengers to password-protect their reservations so that any changes made by phone require the password.

I mean, think about it. Is there any other product worth thousands of dollars that are just as cavalierly protected by the companies that offer them? If you buy a $1,000 piece of jewelry online, does the seller send it via first class mail, or via a more secure method? UA is guilty of negligence for using the equivalent of first class mail to deliver (and store) our tickets.

Yes, there are probably ways for bad guys to get around the basic protections I suggest. But it's better than leaving it as is.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
It's really not that complicated. Require online cancellations of award tickets (and, at passenger's request, other reservations) to be from a logged-in account.
To me, this is good enough.

For award tickets, changes can only be made via logged-in account where the miles were from.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This would imply that if you gift an award ticket to someone, they cannot make any changes to it; you must deal even with changes due to a schedule change. This might annoy some people while others would approve of such a rule.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

No. I would be grateful to anyone who has experienced this if they make as big and public a stink about it as they can.
Unfortunately, making a big stink, which I did, including emailing/talking to 5 different escalated CS reps at UA, takes a lot of time and yielded me absolutely nothing.

I am just trying to save OP from wasting more time like me. If there was a chance that OP would prevail, I would say go ahead, but I have yet to read of anyone getting anywhere with this issue, beyond a rebooking on UA metal.

The real lesson here is that *A members should watch their Asian award bookings like a hawk, and maybe have back-up reservations. Because of this situation, I will no longer book anything on CA/BR without a back-up.

By the way, isn't there an APP that tells you immediately when any of your reservations has been changed? That certainly would be useful for this situation.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k
By the way, isn't there an APP that tells you immediately when any of your reservations has been changed? That certainly would be useful for this situation.
I called united immediately when I received the Chinese cancelation notice, and it did me no good. If you're a 1k and can redeposit awards without a penalty, having the backup reservation is a good idea, assuming you have the extra 300,000-500,000 miles needed.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Others advised me to file a complaint with the DOT, but in the end, it just seemed like a waste of time.
I would encourage everyone hit by this to file a DOT report. Not so much for tactical assistance, but for longer term trending so the DOT can track it and take an interest in it if they see fit.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
I would encourage everyone hit by this to file a DOT report. Not so much for tactical assistance, but for longer term trending so the DOT can track it and take an interest in it if they see fit.
^^^

I think that the function of notifying the DOT of a recurring issue is something people often forget about, but it's important.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by ordbkk
I called united immediately when I received the Chinese cancelation notice, and it did me no good. If you're a 1k and can redeposit awards without a penalty, having the backup reservation is a good idea, assuming you have the extra 300,000-500,000 miles needed.
Are you suggesting if I need 1 seat I book 2 and if I need 2 book 4?
Then the next person looking for award travel is denied space because I took award seats which were available to others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.