Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the end of the call, I asked to be transferred to the fraud department and the agent told me it was not necessary because her supervisor just informed her my experience was very common and they are receiving "many, many" calls about this exact same issue and it's something United is well aware of.
At which point I would have said, in my best Southern drawl: "Ma'am, it may not be necessary for you, but it sure the hell is necessary for me."
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I do think this is a DOT issue. You're never going to get compensation equal to the cost to you of being jerked around, and going through a legal process to pursue it is not really practical. But the DOT can hold UA responsible for not fulfilling the offers they made to customers. And UA can hold CA responsible for delivering the seats they promised, if they really want to. But UA is only going to put pressure on CA if someone puts pressure on UA.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by channa
Yes. At least not at the front line level.

This is some sort of bug.

The time when when ticket was booked has no bearing -- it could be a round of schedule changes by CA, who knows.
Whether this is a bug, or a security gap allowing malicious action, United is partially responsible. And when a plane has mechanical issues, they must place me on the next available flight, whether that flight is United or not. Even if United has to pay for it. Why should this be any different? Why should award availability be necessary to make this right?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

The online/web department at United has confirmed that my ticket was canceled through a United website.
That answer doesn't really make sense, though. If you cancelled your award ticket through the UA website, you wouldn't get a confirmation email entirely in Chinese. There has to be something else going on here.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
That answer doesn't really make sense, though. If you cancelled your award ticket through the UA website, you wouldn't get a confirmation email entirely in Chinese. There has to be something else going on here.
Could have been cancelled in the Chinese-language version of the UA website. Folks have said the email in Chinese is from UA.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: AC Elite
The cancellation must have been made through United's Chinese website (https://www.united.com/web/zh-CN/default.aspx), then you would get a confirmation email in Chinese sent from United.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
I hate to say it, since my fate at this point depends on Air China reinstating my original reservation, but I think you're right.
Sorry for what had happened. I know it's not helpful, but that's the very reason I don't want to fly Air China or any airlines by China. Many things can happen at their own will.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Could have been cancelled in the Chinese-language version of the UA website. Folks have said the email in Chinese is from UA.
Bingo
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I guess I am a little surprised that UA hasn't stepped up a bit more here - I mean I can understand if one person has a freak cancellation from china - but to have multiple on FT alone (which means likely MANY, MANY more are having the same problem) points to a much larger issue going on. Perhaps they are investigating and can't comment but after watching multiple people essentailly lose what was rightfully theirs, and UA "apparently" admitting that they know about the issue in this thread (could have just been trying to get off the phone) I guess I am underwhelmed with the "Sorry there is nothing we can do" response...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mdobbins
If this is an issue that "United is well aware of", shouldn't we at least get confirmation from UA Insider? Availability of OZ awards is something recently handled, so why not this?
Agreed. I sent him a private message yesterday, but have not seen a response yet. Has anyone had any luck using the United twitter account for this kind of thing?

Somebody within United would be able to confirm what the agent told me, that somebody manually canceled my reservation through the United website. They could probably go further and confirm that United's Chinese language site was used and that's why the cancellation email came over in Chinese.

I know in my line of business, we are required to take "reasonable and customary precautions" to protect customers online and that we are held responsible if loss was suffered due to any lack of these precautions.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by zhuzheng
The cancellation must have been made through United's Chinese website (https://www.united.com/web/zh-CN/default.aspx), then you would get a confirmation email in Chinese sent from United.
And the links in my email are to that very same site.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by channa
Bottom line, SHARES is awful, nobody knows what's going on, and I wouldn't believe anything any UA tells you, unless it's coming from the UA Insider level, as they seem to have access to resources that can figure stuff out rather than BS you.
+1 I've seen some really nasty session-related UA website bugs that terrify me as a software engineer.

Would not be surprised if your website session was mixed up with someone using the site in Chinese and ua.com accidentally canceled your ticket instead of theirs.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nickab
Would not be surprised if your website session was mixed up with someone using the site in Chinese and ua.com accidentally canceled your ticket instead of theirs.
I would be surprised. Why would that appear consistently in the way it has been? The external fraud explanation sounds more likely.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:48 am

I would be surprised. Why would that appear consistently in the way it has been? The external fraud explanation sounds more likely.
Yeah, I'm just not seeing how this pattern develops from a website bug.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:48 am

Good point if it's only Air China. Mods -- feel free to delete my most recent post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.