Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
It's good to be aware that UA closely monitors FT (although many frequent posters on FT seemingly write as if they are unaware), which on face value the OP clearly wasn't by the way he wrote his post. However I don't see any value in a UA 'undercover' employee posting this info here as it's common knowledge among the UA FT community.
Perhaps that's why it's common knowledge.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Sorry OP, I have no sympathy for you and applaud UA for taking a hard stance regardless of status. If you have been a 1K/GS all these years then you know better.
Pretty harsh statement.
Just cuz you have Star Gold or have flown zillion miles doesn't mean you're gonna know all the fine prints. It's true that a bit of common sense should've dissuaded the OP from doing this in the first sense. But there are times when we do stuff without thinking.
I agree that the OP may not have recourse in this case and that it's easier for UA to stick to the gun in order to not muddy the precedence and their zero-tolerance enforcement. But I still think it's harsh. In my industry, we would give second chances in semi-analogous situations.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Imstevek
surprised at the reaction. OP is attempting to sell and profit off of something that isn't his.

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.
I'm surprised at all the nonsensical emotional hysteria in this thread. United should make the appropriate business-savvy decision. The business savvy decision is one that punishes sufficiently to deter future abuse, yet keeps the customer connected to the brand and willing to spend.

This is not someone on food stamps who tried to steal a cart of grape juice from Walmart.

Some of the thread responses are just baffling
Old May 27, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Pure speculation but maybe UA calculated that this guy is more of a liability in terms of benefits, miles, ETCs, upgrades, (maybe getting close to MM), versus future revenue from him so they target him. UA is know for being short sighted so they dont even consider his future revenue. If UA values a GPU at 5K, 25 is 125K. Miles might be 12K. Plus ETCs and whatever the value of the status benefits. Similar to a company trying to push out high paid older employees before they get their pension.

Also, UA banned him from the MP program not their flights. I guess UA may assume he will continue to be loyal to UA and keep flying with them just as much as before without earning miles, status, etc
Old May 27, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ermintrude
25 'upgrades' not ETCs
Sorry to be obtuse, but if upgrades, they only last a year, or through the end of the next calendar year. You earn a few more rpu and gpu with more miles. 6 more upgrades per 50k miles. So to that is like 200k extra miles to a 1k to have 24 extra rpu and gpu.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Sorry to be obtuse, but if upgrades, they only last a year, or through the end of the next calendar year. You earn a few more rpu and gpu with more miles. 6 more upgrades per 50k miles. So to that is like 200k extra miles to a 1k to have 24 extra rpu and gpu.
One can get extensions on unused RPU & GPUs.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by transportprof
One can get extensions on unused RPU & GPUs.
Just GPUs
Old May 27, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I too am curious about how UA got the OP's information. Did the eBay listing perhaps contain a picture of the cert with a cert number? Or does the OP use the same email address as on the UA FF account? Could the OP be from a small enough town that there's only a small list of likely suspects, particularly if the listing mentioned 1K or GS status?

If the OP never sold a cert and if eBay won't release the information, then I think we can assume that UA saw something in the listing that enabled the security team to identify the OP, assuming that the OP's story is correct and it's not a UA "plant" as someone suggested upthread.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
...UA is know for being short sighted so they dont even consider his future revenue....
I think UA does recognize it, but does not consider it.

I really do think United assumes for every traveler they lose due to zero tolerance on certificate sales, they will gain one from DL or American for the same reason. Additionally, some may be stuck with United because of route efficiency from their home base or corporate travel preferences.

Making a big deal solely based on one passenger's revenue pre-boot doesn't take into account a variety of other factors that may mitigate the net loss to United.

As long as DL and AA deal harshly with rule breakers, it's a zero sum game for the airlines relative to revenue as the ejected just move between the big 3 and UA/AA/DL get to deprive the violators of revenue-reducing mileage, e-certs, upgrade certs, etc. The violators bear the bulk of the punishment (loss of their accounts), not the airlines.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 27, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old May 27, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe UA hopes that the violators will move to DL or AA and then sell DL or AA stuff.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Anyone caught selling a worthless RPU should be arrested for theft!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsheer
I do understand their policy and respect organizational policies, however disrepecting 20 years of loyalty and hundreds of Ks of flights is something I find very hard to comprehend.
How about you disrespecting the rules and terms of being a MP member? It is a 2 way street. Learn your lesson and move on.

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I too am curious about how UA got the OP's information. Did the eBay listing perhaps contain a picture of the cert with a cert number? Or does the OP use the same email address as on the UA FF account? Could the OP be from a small enough town that there's only a small list of likely suspects, particularly if the listing mentioned 1K or GS status?

If the OP never sold a cert and if eBay won't release the information, then I think we can assume that UA saw something in the listing that enabled the security team to identify the OP, assuming that the OP's story is correct and it's not a UA "plant" as someone suggested upthread.
OP's city + ebay username could have been matched up with an email address that UA has. apparently UA deems that as sufficient proof.

you can search listings that were ended early and unsold. let's just say that there's one that sticks out to me.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Get my account closed last year, with the reply from UA's security dept. Won't reopen account and listen to my explanation.

Mr. XXXXXX:

We have reviewed the complete documentation from this investigation and, unfortunately, we must remain firm in our original decision. We are unable to grant your request to reopen the accounts and trust you will understand our position.

We consider this matter closed.

Regards

XXXX XXXXX

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2017 at 12:27 pm Reason: FT rule on non-exec employee names
Old May 27, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by qxk970517
Get my account closed last year, with the reply from UA's security dept. Won't reopen account and listen to my explanation.

Mr. XXXXXX:

We have reviewed the complete documentation from this investigation and, unfortunately, we must remain firm in our original decision. We are unable to grant your request to reopen the accounts and trust you will understand our position.

We consider this matter closed.

Regards

XXXX XXXXX
Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they're not listening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.